“best hostel/hotel of my trip thus far!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Vilasanta

Casa Vilasanta
San Francisco, California
“best hostel/hotel of my trip thus far!”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have been in Mexico almost three weeks and this hotel has been the best value I have found yet. The room is very clean nicely furnished, air conditioning and a comfortable bed. Every one of the staff members has been friendly and helpful. Although Guadalajara is rather spread out the hotel is in a historic neighborhood with affordable restaurants, cafes and bars in addition to some of the major sights.

Room Tip: Upstairs room was airy and quiet!
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We had only a short visit at Casa Vilasanta but it was easy, comfortable and clean. The location is pretty good and the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are old, but clean and decorated brightly so they have a light and relaxing feel. Overall, excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This is the best place to stay in Guadalajara .Not only is it very affordable it is so beautifully decorated and the rooms are huge .They have high sealing and great beds and are just as beautiful as the hole place .The staff is always friendly and helpful.We have stayed here so many times and highly recommend this very sweet and clean Hotel .It is also Located right in the Center of town .You can walk to Museums and Galleries and many great Restaurants . What a deal for your money .We love Casa Vilasanta and highly recommend for anyone to stay there !!!

Room Tip: We love room number 2 or 3 ....!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Estigo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I have stayed at Casa Vilasanta four or five times in the last four years and would thoroughly recommend it for visitors to Guadalajara. The atmosphere is welcoming and peaceful and with the beautiful colours, plants and ornaments it really feels like a Mexican 'home'. While having breakfast on the roof terrace, I've even seen some hummingbirds. The location is great, very close to the university and the lovely Templo Expiatorio, just a short walk from metro station Juarez, and about 12 minutes by foot from the historical heart of the city. I strongly disagree with the previous review - there have never been any security issues in all the times that I have stayed there (and I don't padlock my suitcases!) The staff are helpful and Juan Carlos speaks good English. There is a good communal kitchen and dining area which is always very clean, facilities for laundry and books to read in a range of languages. Having stayed at four or five other places in the city in the past while here for work, this is the best value.
After my recent five week stay at Casa Vilasanta I can honestly say that I really miss it and will be very happy to return again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Margretta_11
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed at Casa Vilasanta for 3 nights and found the location good and the rooms clean and affordable, but that is where the pros of this place end.

They speak no English at all here. Surprising, considering they have a fair number of tourists staying here.

The lady who cleans the room was rude and acted like she was doing me a huge favor every time I asked her for anything. One morning I slept in a bit because I wasn't feeling well. When she knocked on my door to clean it, I asked for 20 more minutes and she rolled my eyes and gave me a speech about needing to get out earlier. Meanwhile, when I checked in, she made me pay in advance for all 3 nights. Then proceeded to eat get own breakfast and take her time before getting my room ready, knowing I was waiting the whole time.

There was no hot water in my room. When I told that lady, she acted like I was too dumb to know how to work the hot water. After checking for herself, she said someone would come and look at it. It was never fixed.

Finally, on the day I was going to leave, I asked if I could leave my bags in the room for 2 hour while I went to eat breakfast. And asked that they call a cab in 2 hours. I later noticed a key in the small suitcase lock on my suitcase. It seems that since they knew I was going to be away for 2 hours, they decided to see what they could steal in my suitcase. Lucky for me, their key did not work.

I do NOT recommend staying here at all.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank aa243
Buenos Aires
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Casa Vilasanta is gorgeous to look at - a riot of colours, plants, tiling, lots of lovely places to sit and a really nice atmosphere. The staff are very unobtrusive; you don't see much of them (although they're there 24.7 if you need them - Juan Carlos is very helpful and friendly) and all in all you feel like you're staying in the house of a friend. There's a lovely open terrace and lots of pretty undercover areas too. Washing machine use is free if you're staying a week or more and we also got our seventh night free.

It's a bit of a walk from the centre - maybe 15-20 minutes but the location is actually great as you can walk to both the centre and zona rosa and never need to get cabs. It's also just off the cross-city bus and 2 blocks from the metro.

Our double room was small but very clean and had a lovely bathroom. Aircon is free to use any time of day and the price was good. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We spent 6 days atbthis hostel and it is a fantastic place to visit. The rooms and very clean and well maintained. The staff are exceptionally friendly and will organize anything you need. They also have excellent facilities for storing food and a great kitchen and dining area if you want to cook for yourself. We also really like the location as it is between Central and Zona Rosa and you can easily walk to both areas. It is great to have large areas you can chill out in on both the ground and top floor. If you are looking for a professionally run place that will tick all the boxes then Casa Vilasanta is the right choice

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple