New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Dickinson Guest House

Dickinson Guest House
Ranked #5 of 61 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA
“A wonderful and comfortable stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

I just returned from a two week trip to Mexico. One week in Puerto Vallarta and a week in Guadalajara. While in Guadalajara I stayed at the Dickinson Guest House. What a wonderful experience. James Dickinson was a great host, and always made himself available when needed for information or assistance. The house was also just a few blocks from a Spanish school I was attending for the week. When I return for my next Spanish language refresher, I will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank CMAX5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
portland,OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

On our first visit to Mexico, our only option was a red-eye flight that landed at the Guadalajara airport at 5am. Mr. Dickinson gave us detailed instructions to help us get a cab to his guesthouse and was awake to greet us at 6am. He made sure we had breakfast at noon, arranged a tour guide for us, and helped us get bus tickets for next day travel.
The guest house is simple, not fancy, and is more American than Mexican. It is very clean and comfortable with a great little bedroom and bathroom with shower. Breakfast is simple and tasty. It's in a neighborhood that feels perfectly safe.
I know it sounds trite, but it's like staying at the home of a kind friend with a good sense of humor.

• Liked — Extremely helpful host.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Portlandian
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

I was looking on the internet looking (at the last minute) for a place that was not as noisy as downtown, yet not too expensive. I happened upon this guest house in an area that I was not familiar with (Chapalita) in Zapopan. No, it is not the lakeside area of Chapala. It is in the Northwest part of town. I found it to be just a small, well decorated home with everything I needed! The room I stayed in was small, but extremely comfortable. Private bath, that was all newly tiled and spotless! That was the most important issue for me, other than the price, which is more than reasonable!
James truly made me feel like it was my own "apartment", just leaving me to my privacy and plenty of work. He offers a very high speed wi-fi , that was very important for the work I do. Also, free phone service to the U.S. Have you ever tried to call an 800 number from Mexico?? I did not have to go to a payphone, or pay hotel rates! All of this and more are completely included in the one price. The house is immaculate and the kitchen is ready for a master chef to cook in. I just used the microwave! I wish I would have had time to relax and watch a movie on a huge selections of channels, but I did get a lot of work done.
I had to check out today because of other reservations for the room , but when in this city for business again, this is a truly great place that I won´t
forget to call! It is actually closer to downtown than I thought. A nice alternative to a hotel for the business traveler. I would even be a fun place to relax and enjoy for a short vacation with my husband. I highly recommend it. He gave me some recommendations of where I could stay for the rest of the week, and gave me his card. I did not even know he had a website! I definitely will be back!

Roberta Klein
Toronto

• Liked — Cleanliness, business friendly, and the quick action without a reservation.
  • Disliked — No complaints. Was made very comfortable from the start.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Worksaloteverywhere
Silicon Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

I was in Guadalajara on some professional matters, and had put in a few days of networking and connecting with others in my field (I'm an academic.) I needed a place to get away and rest while still being nearby for a lecture I had to give later in the week. A friend had told me about this place after a positive experience there last month, so I called and was treated with the utmost respect and graciousness from my initial booking of the room until I left a few days later. Mr. Dickinson knew that I was hungry and tired the first night I got there, and he arranged a wonderful private meal for me--complete with delicious flan dessert--and Jose Jose music I requested playing in the background. I was left alone when I wanted to be alone, and a few days later when I wanted some company to see one of the museums with (getting a bit anxious waiting for my lecture), a friendly, knowledgeable bilingual tour guide was there immediately. I slept blissfully, I ate like a king, I made some new friends...and I'm pleased to report my lecture went well! This was just the alternative I needed to a big impersonal hotel -- and there were no crowds of tourists, I could savor it all just for me.

I was lucky to make the arrangements by phone just a few days earlier. If my work takes me back to Guadalajara again, I'm definitely planning ahead to fit some down time in back here. A mi me gusta mucho!

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank CollegeProf-7
Chicago,IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

The Dickinson Guest House provided ALL of the amenities a business professional requires with the added bonus of a well supplied kitchen to cook a feast (i.e thanksgiving dinner), W/D, and a private "CLEAN" bathroom. I was accompanied by my fiance and we enjoyed romantic dinners and privacy that is often lacking in a busy hotel. Since the moment we arrived we were graciously greeted at 6am. James helped us on various occassions ranging from connecting my laptop for wireless internet, providing directions to tourist sites, suggesting special atttractions that we certainly would have missed, and most importantly seeing to our comfort and enjoyment of GDL. As a medical professional, I travel very often and seldom have, I come across a quiet, clean, comfortable living accomodations as the Dickinson Guest House. James is a kind-hearted, generous, sociable person easy to be around and engage in good conversation. For future travelers, I must highlight that this guest house is close to all venues of transportation and is located in a safe neighborhood. In fact we walked a couple of times at night from the nightclub or simply enjoyed the rose garden nearby. I "HIGHLY" recommend this place (great price for what you get). My fiance and I will certainly return for another romantic escape.

• Liked — personable and gracious hostess, comfortable room, safe neighborhood, business amenities and privacy
  • Disliked — needed more pillows
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank medabi
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2007

If are looking for complete privacy...this is your place! I really enjoyed my stay and will stay there again if I return (availability willing!!). The place is not gargantuan, but definately not tiny either, and VERY comfortable. Everything seemed to be brand new and tastefully decorated; again, I will have to say this added to the comfort level.
Mr. Dickinson gets A++ honorable mention for his accomodations; from the actual room/house, right down to the hospitality he continuously showed throughout my visit. The room and house remained spotless the entire duration (5 days) I was in residence...and let me tell you that I am extremely picky - as I'm quite a bit of a 'neat freak'.
All in all, this was a spectacular value for a minimal cost. I have absolutely no complaints - only praise. I would most certainly recommend tourists or business people take advantage of this wonderful alternative to a hotel...I'm pleased to have found it myself!

• Liked — Value, hospitality, cleanliness, comfort.
  • Disliked — I have no complaints