“Clean Quiet Quaint And Cozy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dickinson Guest House

Dickinson Guest House
Ranked #4 of 61 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“Clean Quiet Quaint And Cozy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

I travelled to Guadalajara for cosmetic surgery with Dr. Cardenas. Not knowing any of the spanish language I was a bit nervous, James helped me translate, exchange US Dollars for Pesos, Brought me to the clinic for appointments, which by the way is very close to his house. He cooked for me and help me prepare a special protein smoothie that I drink daily. I was able to relax and heal myself after surgery in a very cozy quiet room and watch english channels on the tv. The kitchen is nice and clean with fresh mexican pastries and coffee always available. I was sad to leave. I enjoyed this beautiful city very much.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dumont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

Dickinson Guest House - - how do I love thee? - - - I had surgery with Dr. Cardenas in Guadalajara and with the doctor’s recommendation I and my two friends stayed at the Dickinson Guest House for ten days prior to and following my surgery. I cannot say enough about the guest house and the most wonderful host, Jim. The home is very comfortable and welcoming and Jim configured the master guest room so that the three of us could comfortably share the room. The three of us had plenty of space and the adjacent patio was used daily. The neighborhood is quiet and very safe. Following my surgery, Jim took such good care of me! I can’t begin to say all the extra things he did for me to make me comfortable and to promote my healing. What a wonderful guy and what a great experience staying with him. The most important thing in a hotel/motel/guest house is a comfortable bed, especially following surgery. All of our beds were heavenly and every effort was made to insure that we were comfortable and content at all times. We left Guadalajara for ten days of vacation at the beach and upon our return to the guest house, it truly felt like coming home. I highly recommend this home and will never stay anywhere else in Guadalajara.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

The first thing that struck me was that the guest house, located down a quiet leafy street, is like finding an oasis of calm in this bustling city, especially after having just battled the afternoon peak hour traffic! The second thing was the warm welcome extended by our host, James Dickenson. The third thing was the delightful ambience, comfort and thoughtful facilities, like free laundry, WiFi internet and cable TV, which James explained in his very thorough introduction. I especially loved being able to relax in the spacious living room and chat with other guests and being able to wander into the kitchen at whatever time suited me to make myself a delicious breakfast from the well-stocked freezer and pantry. And, if what you crave isn't on hand, James will be sure to pop out and get it for you.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Bellevue WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

Jim welcomed us warmly, gave us the key to the house, a tour of the kitchen, took us up to our nice rooms and showed us how to use the washer and drier. Although this is not a B&B, He took us to the store a few blocks away so we could pick out what we wanted him to stock in the kitchen. We were thrilled to be able to eat what we wanted when we wanted. Jim had the table set with a huge fruit bowl, and fresh pastry. We popped into the kitchen anytime we wanted and put together our own breakfasts. We made ourselves at home. We enjoyed chatting with Jim and guests in the living room and using the washer a couple times. Jim introduced us to Ilse, a fantastic city guide and he was able to help us get bus tickets using his computer and taxis from a block away for our trips out of the city. This is an ideal home base for independent travelers. If I ever decided to have a nip or tuck, Jim's place would provide me and a friend with a restful place to recover. It was a home away from home.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Beijing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

I stayed 5 days in the Dickinson Guest House with 7 others colleagues attending a conference. The guest house is located is in a nice, quiet neighbourhood.The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was excellent, with a great choice of sweet and savoury food. Free-access to the internet was also provided. This is excellent value-for-money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

We, 8 colleagues stayed in the Dickinson guest house to attend a conference in the Hilton which was nearby. Complicated itineraries, lost bags, jet lagged guests were all accommodated by James, our host, he even lent us his mobile phone for so the airline could call us when our lost bag arrived. One of our colleagues staying somewhere else had trouble getting into her guest house very late on the first night we arrived and was taken in by James and given a bed for the night. So he is definitely a special host. It felt very safe in the neighbourhood and there were lot's of places to eat and drink around there.The house itself was very comfortable, the rooms were all nice and the master bedroom was most impressive.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

Having stayed here before, I already knew what to expect. The bedrooms are all very well cleaned and maintained and well arranged, as well as the newly tiled bathrooms.
I had a last minute chance to visit the annual Guadalajara Book Fair and called to book a room. Jim's (as he explained to me once) home is becoming a prime area to stay in while visiting this vibrant city. Located 15 minutes from the old historical plazas and art museums of downtown and 15 minutes from Puerto Hiero's Andaro Plaza, with it's super deluxe restaurants, to elegantly inexpensive pizzas and very upscale shopping, he is just where it is easy to get to everything, including at least 15 restaurants of all types right in his neighborhood. Day trips to the wonderful art communities of Tlaquepaque and Tonala are fun. For those that don't mind shopping a little longer for the identical item sold in Tlaquepaque for triple the price in a nice Air conditioned shoppe can save a bundle.
Jim's home is in a quiet residential well known area of the city called Chapalita, not to be confused with Chapala, the retirement lakeside area for Americans and Canadians who have chosen this great climate year round to live in.
The book fair being the largest in the world outside of Germany was an adventure in Guadalajara's newly expanded Expo Centre. I was lucky enough for a last minute cancellation to what is becoming not so much of a secret anymore. And with 4 new high rise hotels being added to the area for overflow, Jim has no intention of raising his prices. One of his great amenities is his high speed wifi, that although is now offered in most hotels (for a fee) are not really fast at all! Jim has invested some time and money into making high speed internet a "true statement"! Great for business people not willing to overdo it in this economy, this is surely the place.
A gracious host that makes you feel right at home from the time you are greeted at the front gate. When in this fun city again, right over the mountain from Puerto Vallarta, I will stay once again. Thank you, Jim. Happy 2010 to you and I trust the new year will bring you even more guests to this increasingly important, convenient and fun area of this great city!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo