“Chapalita charming”

Ranked #4 of 58 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA
“Chapalita charming”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

It had been almost a year since stay here at the guest house, the last time I was here in Guadalajara it was booked for that weekend, but this time back there was a room available. Everything was great and the room ready when I arrived. There was also ample room in the property to park my Jeep out of the sun. I like this area, there are lots of good restaurants (trendy and basic) and on Sundays there are many artists selling their works at the glorieta (circle/roundabout) just a few blocks away. I've bought many items there in the past, great prices and you can negotiate! The owner James is always very accomodating and if you are lucky he'll have made a big pot of stew or curry lentils. I'll be back soon no doubt.

Room Tip: The best room and the one I usually stay in, is the one with the private bathroom at the front of th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thanks for the nice review! It is not always easy to return the favor at this time of year. I am happy that you are a return guest as many are and look forward to seeing you again from the other side of the mountain! Don't forget my avocado season and of course my lentil concoctions that i have out for my later arriving guests! Sometimes I think a Dinner and Bed Guest House might be a good idea! Until next time...
James Dickinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fountain Inn, South Carolina
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It is always a fun get-away to visit some friends in Guadalajara. This time we did not want to stay right in the downtown area even though it would be a mainstay of many adventures. We made a good choice by a reccommondation to stay at The Dickinson Guest House in Chapalita. it is only minutes to the historical center , close to the famous statue of the Roman Minerva. We had fun at venues like the teatro Degollado and so many travelling groups from other parts of Mexico during the day. But we really enjoyed coming back to a wonderful home in a quiet neighborhood to enjoy a good nights sleep, after a bottle of wine on our balcony!
James, our host has a talent of givig you privacy, while at the same time always being available to answer any questions or just visit with. He gives all guests a tour of the house and makes sure that the items you like for breakfast are stocked and that you are welcome to use the kitchen at will. We were there for two days before meeting a young couple who came in late one evening. We ended up making sandwiches at 3AM and having a great time getting to know them. This is a truly wonderful home to really feel at home in Guadalajara. It is in a beautiful neighborhood and yet is still close to everything. It was a good choice from the usual downtown hotel we might have chosen. We highly recommend a stay here and will be returning in Feb 2012.

Room Tip: pick a room not on the street side
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Hello S.C.,
It was nice that you chose to make a diversion from your usual choices in the historical core. I appreciate your visit and hope to see you again when you visit in February (2013)! It is always fun to check out new properties. I am happy and thankful that you took time out of your busy schedule to give travelers another view of what we try to acheive here that is different than any other B&B in the city. Thank you again, and hope to see you soon.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have just returned from a nine day stay at the Dickinson Guest House in Guadalajara. This was my second time there this year and my third time overall. The first was great, the second better and the most recent was every bit as good as the first two. Jim Dickinson is the host and knows his business. The house is immaculate and delightfully decorated. The neighborhood is just beautiful with well-maintained properties, colorful trees and shrubbery and two gorgeous parks within one block of Jim's house. Jim has significant high end restaurant experience and prepares fantastic food of your choosing. What more could one ask for. If you are traveling to Guadalajara, the Dickinson Guest House is place you must consider.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pdarling2
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello Again! It's always nice to have you and your friends here. And I must tell you that I do appreciate the reviews. I know people are happy when they leave, but I also know that people are busy and just forget! Out of site- out of mind? Right? I know you remember our talks. It is just how it happens. Again, I was happy to see you and C and hope you both have a wonderful Holiday season! Sorry my response is tardy, but I am fully acclimated to this way of slowing down.....just not this time of year! Thank you so much!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Guest House is very well located, spotless and with all the amenities a traveler or working traveler might need. Jame is a fantastic host and will go out his way to make you feel at home. Very recommended!

Room Tip: Want a silent room? The purple room is inside, and the most isolated.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review! It is nice to host some people that live in Mexico. It seems as if the vast majority of guests are from other parts of the world, but I really enjoyed the two of you and your obviously happy marriage! It is so much more enjoyable to have guests who are happy travelers rather than those who like to repeat the wrong news cycles about this great part of Mexico! Thank you again!
James D
Leon, Guanajuato
Reviewed April 20, 2012

For folks who aren't familiar with Guadalajara, or a little wary of Mexican hotels (with which we have had nine years of experience), this was a unique breath of fresh air. The neighborhood is clean, safe, quiet, and beautiful. The lodging is comfortable, detail-oriented, and just feels like home. Quite comfortable. Mr. Dickinson is a great host, very friendly and accommodating. "Make yourself at home," he says. For my short stay in GDL, I couldn't have been more satisfied. I'd recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
I have to admit that I was surprised to even see a review from you Tod! As you were well aware, you arrived at a very busy time here at the Dickinson Guest House! I had hoped to have a longer chat with you and your business here from Leon, GTO. But it just did not seem to happen as I had planned. Thanks again for choosing the "easy access, with parking" West-End of the city for your visit. I look forward to you bringing your wife on your next visit to Guadalajara. I will make it very special for the two of you. I need to take some time off and get over to your great state of Guanajuato. It's been a few years. It is one of my favorites! Thanks again for offering an opinion here on Trip Advisor!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Location...location...location...easy to locate and wonderful access to the carretera (expressway) for those shopping trips toTalquepaque and Tonala. Residential area centrally located filled with trendy restaurants and shops and all within walking distance. Off the street parking was another plus. A very comfortable guest house with a terrific breakfast. The host was extremely accommodating. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
It is always nice to have visitors from the other side of the Sierra Madre! You and your friends made for a wonderful time here in the city! I am happy that you enjoy California's....as I do and that you and your girlfriend from Chicago was able to shop (a lot) in nearby Tlaquepaque and have plenty of room here to sort it all out for delivery. I look forward to your return, when you are not so busy. Thanks for taking the time......to offer these kind words!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We had the opportunity to visit Guadalajara whilst on our vacation in Puerto Vallarta. The proprietor is a wonderful host and made us very welcome. The house is large and very comfortable and comes with all the modern conveniences that you sometimes need when you're away from home. The area is truly beautiful and we felt very safe walking to the restaurants and shops. Particularly delightful was our visit to the Glorietta Art Walk which is a few minutes walk away, and held weekly during the year. We would classify this guesthouse as a "home away from home" and will definitely be visiting again. Thank you James for making our stay extremely enjoyable! Alfred Voss and Yvonne Llloyd

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yvonne L
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Thanks Yvonne for the review! It is always fun to have guests stay here that really take me serious when I ask them to please make themselves at home! It was nice shopping with you for those great pictures at the weekly art showing at Parque Chapalita. I hope to see you two again if you have time to make it over the mountain from Vallarta. As you know, Vancouver is not really that far away for the great sun that this country is blessed with. And it is just a jump over the mountain to Guadalajara. Have a great 2012! James