Dickinson Guest House
Clarum 101(Guadalajara)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsexposition centerlarge housequiet neighborhoodhouse rentalhighly recommend this houselovely homeprivate balconygreat hostsnice area of the citybook fairgreat wifiwithin walking distancemaster suitecomfortable bedsevery morninghistorical sitesbusiness traveler
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It is always a fun get-away to visit some friends in Guadalajara. This time we did not want to stay right in the downtown area even though it would be a mainstay of many adventures. We made a good choice by a reccommondation to stay at The Dickinson Guest House in Chapalita. it is only minutes to the historical center , close to the famous statue of the Roman Minerva. We had fun at venues like the teatro Degollado and so many travelling groups from other parts of Mexico during the day. But we really enjoyed coming back to a wonderful home in a quiet neighborhood to enjoy a good nights sleep, after a bottle of wine on our balcony!
James, our host has a talent of givig you privacy, while at the same time always being available to answer any questions or just visit with. He gives all guests a tour of the house and makes sure that the items you like for breakfast are stocked and that you are welcome to use the kitchen at will. We were there for two days before meeting a young couple who came in late one evening. We ended up making sandwiches at 3AM and having a great time getting to know them. This is a truly wonderful home to really feel at home in Guadalajara. It is in a beautiful neighborhood and yet is still close to everything. It was a good choice from the usual downtown hotel we might have chosen. We highly recommend a stay here and will be returning in Feb 2012.

Room Tip: pick a room not on the street side
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernmex
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Hello S.C.,
It was nice that you chose to make a diversion from your usual choices in the historical core. I appreciate your visit and hope to see you again when you visit in February (2013)! It is always fun to check out new properties. I am happy and thankful that you took time out of your busy schedule to give travelers another view of what we try to acheive here that is different than any other B&B in the city. Thank you again, and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have just returned from a nine day stay at the Dickinson Guest House in Guadalajara. This was my second time there this year and my third time overall. The first was great, the second better and the most recent was every bit as good as the first two. Jim Dickinson is the host and knows his business. The house is immaculate and delightfully decorated. The neighborhood is just beautiful with well-maintained properties, colorful trees and shrubbery and two gorgeous parks within one block of Jim's house. Jim has significant high end restaurant experience and prepares fantastic food of your choosing. What more could one ask for. If you are traveling to Guadalajara, the Dickinson Guest House is place you must consider.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank pdarling2
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hello Again! It's always nice to have you and your friends here. And I must tell you that I do appreciate the reviews. I know people are happy when they leave, but I also know that people are busy and just forget! Out of site- out of mind? Right? I know you remember our talks. It is just how it happens. Again, I was happy to see you and C and hope you both have a wonderful Holiday season! Sorry my response is tardy, but I am fully acclimated to this way of slowing down.....just not this time of year! Thank you so much!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Guest House is very well located, spotless and with all the amenities a traveler or working traveler might need. Jame is a fantastic host and will go out his way to make you feel at home. Very recommended!

Room Tip: Want a silent room? The purple room is inside, and the most isolated.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaiTravelSite

Thank you for the review! It is nice to host some people that live in Mexico. It seems as if the vast majority of guests are from other parts of the world, but I really enjoyed the two of you and your obviously happy marriage! It is so much more enjoyable to have guests who are happy travelers rather than those who like to repeat the wrong news cycles about this great part of Mexico! Thank you again!
James D

Reviewed April 20, 2012

For folks who aren't familiar with Guadalajara, or a little wary of Mexican hotels (with which we have had nine years of experience), this was a unique breath of fresh air. The neighborhood is clean, safe, quiet, and beautiful. The lodging is comfortable, detail-oriented, and just feels like home. Quite comfortable. Mr. Dickinson is a great host, very friendly and accommodating. "Make yourself at home," he says. For my short stay in GDL, I couldn't have been more satisfied. I'd recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Todd R
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2012

I have to admit that I was surprised to even see a review from you Tod! As you were well aware, you arrived at a very busy time here at the Dickinson Guest House! I had hoped to have a longer chat with you and your business here from Leon, GTO. But it just did not seem to happen as I had planned. Thanks again for choosing the "easy access, with parking" West-End of the city for your visit. I look forward to you bringing your wife on your next visit to Guadalajara. I will make it very special for the two of you. I need to take some time off and get over to your great state of Guanajuato. It's been a few years. It is one of my favorites! Thanks again for offering an opinion here on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Location...location...location...easy to locate and wonderful access to the carretera (expressway) for those shopping trips toTalquepaque and Tonala. Residential area centrally located filled with trendy restaurants and shops and all within walking distance. Off the street parking was another plus. A very comfortable guest house with a terrific breakfast. The host was extremely accommodating. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Mexgato

It is always nice to have visitors from the other side of the Sierra Madre! You and your friends made for a wonderful time here in the city! I am happy that you enjoy California's....as I do and that you and your girlfriend from Chicago was able to shop (a lot) in nearby Tlaquepaque and have plenty of room here to sort it all out for delivery. I look forward to your return, when you are not so busy. Thanks for taking the time......to offer these kind words!