“Fantastic stay”

Ranked #4 of 61 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Guest House is very well located, spotless and with all the amenities a traveler or working traveler might need. Jame is a fantastic host and will go out his way to make you feel at home. Very recommended!

Room Tip: Want a silent room? The purple room is inside, and the most isolated.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for the review! It is nice to host some people that live in Mexico. It seems as if the vast majority of guests are from other parts of the world, but I really enjoyed the two of you and your obviously happy marriage! It is so much more enjoyable to have guests who are happy travelers rather than those who like to repeat the wrong news cycles about this great part of Mexico! Thank you again!
James D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Leon, Guanajuato
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

For folks who aren't familiar with Guadalajara, or a little wary of Mexican hotels (with which we have had nine years of experience), this was a unique breath of fresh air. The neighborhood is clean, safe, quiet, and beautiful. The lodging is comfortable, detail-oriented, and just feels like home. Quite comfortable. Mr. Dickinson is a great host, very friendly and accommodating. "Make yourself at home," he says. For my short stay in GDL, I couldn't have been more satisfied. I'd recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
I have to admit that I was surprised to even see a review from you Tod! As you were well aware, you arrived at a very busy time here at the Dickinson Guest House! I had hoped to have a longer chat with you and your business here from Leon, GTO. But it just did not seem to happen as I had planned. Thanks again for choosing the "easy access, with parking" West-End of the city for your visit. I look forward to you bringing your wife on your next visit to Guadalajara. I will make it very special for the two of you. I need to take some time off and get over to your great state of Guanajuato. It's been a few years. It is one of my favorites! Thanks again for offering an opinion here on Trip Advisor!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Location...location...location...easy to locate and wonderful access to the carretera (expressway) for those shopping trips toTalquepaque and Tonala. Residential area centrally located filled with trendy restaurants and shops and all within walking distance. Off the street parking was another plus. A very comfortable guest house with a terrific breakfast. The host was extremely accommodating. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
It is always nice to have visitors from the other side of the Sierra Madre! You and your friends made for a wonderful time here in the city! I am happy that you enjoy California's....as I do and that you and your girlfriend from Chicago was able to shop (a lot) in nearby Tlaquepaque and have plenty of room here to sort it all out for delivery. I look forward to your return, when you are not so busy. Thanks for taking the time......to offer these kind words!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

We had the opportunity to visit Guadalajara whilst on our vacation in Puerto Vallarta. The proprietor is a wonderful host and made us very welcome. The house is large and very comfortable and comes with all the modern conveniences that you sometimes need when you're away from home. The area is truly beautiful and we felt very safe walking to the restaurants and shops. Particularly delightful was our visit to the Glorietta Art Walk which is a few minutes walk away, and held weekly during the year. We would classify this guesthouse as a "home away from home" and will definitely be visiting again. Thank you James for making our stay extremely enjoyable! Alfred Voss and Yvonne Llloyd

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yvonne L
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Thanks Yvonne for the review! It is always fun to have guests stay here that really take me serious when I ask them to please make themselves at home! It was nice shopping with you for those great pictures at the weekly art showing at Parque Chapalita. I hope to see you two again if you have time to make it over the mountain from Vallarta. As you know, Vancouver is not really that far away for the great sun that this country is blessed with. And it is just a jump over the mountain to Guadalajara. Have a great 2012! James
Atwater/Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stayed with James from July 19th until August 4th. It was an unplanned emergency trip. Thankfully, James was at Guadalajara Airport to meet me and help me cope with the situation I found myself in.

As soon as I got to the house, James provided me with a local cell phone and I was extremely happy to find that the house phone could be used for international calls at no cost.

The circumstances of my visit also meant that a fast and dependable internet access was necessary to communicate with both colleagues and family in the US and China.

I had my own access to the house and was able to come and go as needed. As I returned late on foot in the evenings, I was grateful that the house is located in a safe and secure area of Chapalita.

My room was comfortable and clean. I was able to use the upstairs laundry which was complete with a dryer. I should add that there is a cable TV in every room.

The house is quiet, tastefully decorated, and all the rooms are spacious and comfortable.

As a host, James went out of his way to make me feel welcome under the most difficult of circumstances and I will always be extremely grateful for his hospitality, friendship, and help.

Room Tip: There are pictures about the rooms on the website.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank YG C
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
YG,

Thanks for the kind words. As we know, all trips are not for business or pleasure. I am happy that in the end all worked out in the best interest of all concerned. I was happy that you were able to take care of the things in Guadalajara that needed dealing with, while being able to take care of your work at the University back home. I wish you luck in all of your post doctorate work in the next couple of years and all of the wonderful things that life has in store for your well rounded future!
Cheers,
Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed with James for a second time from Sept 30th thru October 7th. I was already familiar with the house and Chapalita and everything was as perfect as it had been early the previous year.
The freedom to come and go with one's own keys, the comfortable and clean room, the reliable and fast WiFi, cable TV to enjoy, the indulgent breakfasts the nearby public transport to Centro, the nearby restaurants and banks, were among the many things I remembered so well and which again made my second stay so memorable.
I love the house and its tasteful decor. Too many places seem to think that visitors to Guadalajara want to holiday in pokey rooms resembling Mexican-themed coffee shops. Not so in Calle San Uriel.
Just a shame the violent hail storm did so much damage to the lovely garden. But, it will recover, I'm sure.
James takes with me my very best wishes and my bottomless thanks for all he did for me in GDL.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great - the main suite would admirably suit someone recuperating from a hospital s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Peter C
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
PCee, It is always special to those of us who have these small business' to receive kind words from past guests who take the time to share their experiences. It does take time out of busy schedules, but if the ratio is one review out of 15 travelers it is appreciated more than you know. And to add pictures is another time consuming plus on top of the already good notations of the things we do to make a stay that is much more comfortable when far from home. Although you will be leaving back to Australia, it gives me a good reason to plan a visit there and New Zealand to see other past guests to visit for a time.. I look forward to that day. And I am very,very grateful for the wonderful books that you donated to my library for future guests as well as myself! It is always a treat to have new books and magazines in the house from home, especially when they are so expensive to purchase here. I look forward to another visit somewhere in this 'Lonely Planet'! Cheers, JD
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I was truly fortunate to have discovered the Dickinson Guest House when I travelled to watch the Pan Am games in Guadalajara. I spent 10 days at this charming B and B. The room was delightful; clean and comfortable. My room had an HD TV with many English language channels, music, outstanding WIFI (fast and dependable) and a charming balcony on which I spent time reading. I and the other guests could use the laundry facilities which was a great perk in such a warm climate.The neighbourhood is residential, safe and has many amenities (retaurants, banks, cafes, shops) within an easy walk. By far the best thing about my stay was my host, James. He was eager to help in any way possible. He provided information about where the best markets are; offered to escort me to the market; took me to find the bank I was looking for; introduced me to some wonderful retaurants and provided any breakfast goodies I and the other guests wanted. (he went out of his way to get one guest turkey bacon!). He ordered taxis for us and was absolutely charming. His warmth and generosity made for an outstanding stay in a wonderful "home". I hearily recommend this little oasis in the city. James is truly a treasure!

Room Tip: There are pictures of the rooms on the Dickinson website to help you slect the room best suited to m...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank LLC123
Thank you Lynn for arriving when you did. October was a busy month and although we had a full house for the Pan Am Games, you and your friends made it special. I am back on my horse so to speak and ready for a busy holiday season. Keep thinking Olympics and I am sure it will happen. It was great having you here!
Thanks again,