“Dickinson Guest House and James are the best!”

Dickinson Guest House
Ranked #3 of 68 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This was my second time traveling to Guadalajara to see Dr Lazaro Cardenas for plastic surgery. Made the mistake the first time and stayed other than the Dickinson Guest House. My second time was 100% better. James has a pretty, comfortable, peaceful place to stay.Although I took my sister-in-law and didn"t need as much help James was there every few hours checking on us. He took me to the doctor and was there when I was released.He also went shopping for our needs and when I felt better took us out to eat a couple times and went shopping with us. I'm talking shopping all day long one store after the other. He also cooked for us when we wanted it and man can he cook. I wouldn't even consider staying elsewhere. You can't do better than Dickinson Guest House in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank gurmpy
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2011

Thank you so much for the kind review. It is a priority to make my guests feel at home, and know they are welcome to use the entire property at will other than the other private guest rooms! You made the wise choice of the well respected Dr. Lazaro Cardenas for your procedures. It is just a few blocks from here, making it an ideal home to relax in with the comforts of home and security on knowing where you are, and where i am by intercom or private cell phone. I am very pleased to hear of your fantastic outcome, and look forward to any other visits you have timed for the future. I had fun shopping with you, since you and your sister-in law gave me breaks to have some Ben & Jerry's at Plaza Andares!!! Next visit......come early. You two saw a tiny bit of shopping, here! You were actually surrounded by it.....I guess I forgot to tell you! I am happy that you are pleased with the whole experience! Come back for a visit, soon!
James

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We returned to GDL for another visit to our Doctor at Interafertily Clinic; thus we went back to the most comfortable, affordable and least stressful place we could find - Dickinson Guest House. I shop around for prices and services, but no where else offered us the services we found with Dickinson. We had a local cell phone to use whenever we left the house in case we had issues with traveling around so we can call him or our Dr. We had a free American phone line to use, free fast-access internet, free 24 hour use of the kitchen, breakfast is included, and availablity of a printer so I could remotely work with my office during our treatment. This is very important for me, a self-employed practicioner. And, as before, James paid attention to our preferences in both food, shampoos and use of soap! Who can complain about that? It is truly an oasis in a foreign world where we needed to be stress-free and we found it. I hate to tell anyone else about it so it will be so booked when we need it again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank constantgardnereg
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

It's always good to see you two when you come back! Sorry this is a bit late, but October has had me jumping already and I did take a couple weeks off. So I need to start writing some reviews of my own. I hope your results were as expected, and I will follow up with a personal note to see how everything is with you. It was really nice seeing you again!
JD

Reviewed May 15, 2011

I have been home for a while now,but wanted to let travelers, especially business travelers that the news about the safety of Mexico does not seem to be as bad as they make it look on the news. I had a reservation at a hotel close to the Expo center that turned out to be not a real fun experience. It is very important for me to have internet access as well as the other business services a hotel is supposed to provide. As I was trying to log on to the very slow service on my second day,I saw a connection for all wi-fi signals in the area. 'Dickinson Guest House' showed up as a strong signal from the hotel. That evening after looking up the website, I discovered it was right down the street, so I just was curious. The owner, James was outside in front watering the plants. I asked him if his business connections were having any problems being so close to the hotel. He was very hospitable to show me his bandwidth speed and how business ready his establishment was. And it was all inclusive. I have never stayed in a B&B before, but what a find! There was another couple there that concurred of all of the extras that are provided. I asked if he had room and the rest of my trip to this wonderful and friendly city changed. A great and accommodating host in a large, well kept home is right in the middle of the business district! I made friends with the American couple that showed me some great restaurants all close by as well as all of the helpful information from James to keep me busy when I was not working. What I thought was going to be a average business trip to a country that has had a lot of negative coverage of late, turned out to be a wonderful experience that included a breakfast of my choosing. I would recommend it to anyone regardless their reason for being in this city. But as far as my needs were concerned, it was superior. I just felt like I was in a very nice neighborhood of well taken care of homes. I will stay here again for sure. It really paid off to take a short walk down the park and tree lined street to find this wonderful home, hidden in plain sight!

Room Tip: All rooms have great beds.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank lovetoboat32

It was nice to have you here for business. I am a bit confused as to why I rate higher in business compliments and have received and award to frame for my walls congratulating my business services. But I suspect that was meant to go only to hotels. I'm sure they will figure it out. I look forward to your next visit since I know you visit Mexico City, Monterrey and here for business travel. It was a a pleasant experience to see that you made time to see some of the historical district as well as the pyramids and Zapopan. Look forward to seeing you again one day. Thanks again!

Reviewed April 7, 2011

This was my second time traveling to Guadalajara to see Dr Lazaro Cardenas for plastic surgery. I decided again to stay at Dickinson Guest House as I had such a good experience last time. This time I chose to stay in the larger guest room which cost a bit more but includes an extended breakfast. Jim has upgraded his Internet speed since I was last there and it is LIGHTNING FAST! Wow! That really makes a difference when you bring your laptop with you on vacation. The king sized bed in my room had a new memory foam mattress which was very comfortable. The house is cleaner than a hospital and very comfortable. The first three days following my surgery were a bit difficult and Jim was there to assist and help me every bit of the way. I honestly do not know if I could of done it without his help. If you are planning to travel to Guadalajara for a medical vacation as I have. Trust me, you will need help the first three days following surgery. And Jim is the best experienced person when it comes to this. Jim also took me to see some sites and we the newest Palacio de Hierro, a beautiful high class shopping center. I look forward to coming back to stay at Dickinson guest house very soon. Thanks Jim!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mid40zMale
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

It was good to see you again! I trust all is well now that you have had time to catch up with things. I am happy that you noticed the change in business services. It has been hard to work with some companies here, but in the end I finally got the good speed that is now available in this side of the city! I hope you come down for a visit sometime that is not all business. There is a lot to see!
Take care,
Jim

Reviewed March 29, 2011

We didn't know what to expect of GDL having never been there. So, we chose Dickinson because we felt that having an English speaking Mexican resident could best inform us about getting around. The house was very spacious. The owner was very accomodating and anticipated our needs. We were there for a medical visit. You can use the American phone line for free calls to the state. Fast internet. And, a Mexican cell phone for use when traveling around thrown in. Who can beat that? We could walk to nice restaurants, the bank and 2 parks. People were so friendly. The only inconvenience we had was having to rely on the inconsistent taxi drivers. We slept great. Quiet with memory foam mattress topper. It sure beat the hotel that the clinic put us in the first few nights.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank constantgardnereg
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2011

Thank you for the kind review! I am happy that you chose this convenient location for your stay and hope to see you in the near future if everything works out in your best interests. It is good to hear someone appreciate the extra things that are done for the guest's comfort; like the memory foam beds, free phone service, cell phones, etc. I am sorry that the taxi service was not as you are used to in the U.S., but we can always have a private driver for you if you have a schedule that is a little more regular. I know this was one of those times where appointments were scheduled differently for a specific reason. I hope you enjoyed the tour of the historical downtown area and the great dinner at La Pasta restaurant close to the house. It was a pleasure to have you here. I hope you recieved the computer and phone cord I mailed back to you in Florida, and look forward to a visit in the near future. Thanks again!

Reviewed March 10, 2011

I stayed recently here for 8 days alone and could not have chosen a more perfect, safe, and convenient location. I’ll definitely be back. Among the amenities in this immaculately clean roomy garden oasis in the heart of Chapalita:
Eclectic furnishings, lots of natural light, abundant house plants, fresh air and open floor plan downstairs remind one that they are welcome house guests, not customers with a room number. I was welcomed straight from an overnight flight before 8 a.m. with a smile! Meticulously clean home and serene décor both upstairs and downstairs mirror the host’s demeanor of quiet and sophisticated elegance. James has an innate sense of when and where his assistance is needed. He always had something to snack on and offered to shop for anything I wished to eat. Lots of fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, and quality breakfast choices attest to both his gourmet passion and front-of-house savoire faire. I was happy not to be on a breakfast (or any) schedule! Complimentary hi-speed wi-fi throughout the house kept me connected anywhere I went to relax with my laptop. Complimentary long distance private house phone to the U.S. as well as cell phones available to carry around the city are added convenience for friends and family members...I felt secure knowing l could reach the owner, James if I needed to. Also convenient was the expanded cable television service (yes I watched T.V. in English!) and complimentary washer/dryer upstairs.
Since I was solo for the week, I also appreciated the opportunity to have James' guidance and company dining out at a few of the fabulous neighborhood restaurants during my stay. I also made use of his tour guide connection, Ilsa, for a fabulous shopping tour of Tlaquepaque (not to be missed)! Ilsa’s fluent negotiating skills saved me more dinero than her service fee!
Overall, this stay was a TEN for me…I am already planning to return in the fall with friends and wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else in the Guadalajara area. Very convenient and safe location!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank livinglocally

Dear J......that was some review! You were a paying guest and were cooking like you lived here! It was wonderful! Would you please come back and sear me some more of that fresh AHI tuna that we picked up at the fish market???? The dressing you made from plain yogourt and bleu cheese was wonderful with the apple salad. Sorry I did not tell you that it was Activa yogourt!!! Good wine choices as well. Guests like you are great to have. Come visit more often! Thanks very much........J

Reviewed February 17, 2011

This review is belated but can assure you it is for no other reason than I am a horrible procrastinator.
My surgery with Dr Cardenas was August 13, 2010. I spent 15 pampered days and nights at the Dickinson Guest House. Jim Dickinson was not only a marvelous host but a extraordinary nurse, chef, tour guide (not much touring in my condition), translator, shopper, advisor and companion. He was there when I woke up and went to bed and looked after my every need.
And then there is the place itself. The house is immaculate and furnished right out of House Beautiful. The grounds and other accoutrements were beyond my wildest expectations. He provides music for your ears, food for your tummy, 24/7 phone service to anywhere in the U.S., unlimited wi-fi for the initiated, and more TV channels than you can ever want - all included in the cost of your stay. Try finding that in any other accomodation, anywhere. And if you care to go for a walk in the beautiful neighborhood, you will find well-maintained parks and gardens, shops and restaurants and lovely homes in any direction, all within easy walking distance.
In spite of the adverse news reporting, I never felt the least bit insecure or unsafe at any time during my stay in the cosmopolitan city of Guadalajara. A truly memorable experience. I highly recommend it.

Totally satisfied,