“Better Than The First Time...Dickinson Guest House Is The Best”

Dickinson Guest House
Ranked #4 of 59 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“Better Than The First Time...Dickinson Guest House Is The Best”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

This was my second time traveling to Guadalajara to see Dr Lazaro Cardenas for plastic surgery. I decided again to stay at Dickinson Guest House as I had such a good experience last time. This time I chose to stay in the larger guest room which cost a bit more but includes an extended breakfast. Jim has upgraded his Internet speed since I was last there and it is LIGHTNING FAST! Wow! That really makes a difference when you bring your laptop with you on vacation. The king sized bed in my room had a new memory foam mattress which was very comfortable. The house is cleaner than a hospital and very comfortable. The first three days following my surgery were a bit difficult and Jim was there to assist and help me every bit of the way. I honestly do not know if I could of done it without his help. If you are planning to travel to Guadalajara for a medical vacation as I have. Trust me, you will need help the first three days following surgery. And Jim is the best experienced person when it comes to this. Jim also took me to see some sites and we the newest Palacio de Hierro, a beautiful high class shopping center. I look forward to coming back to stay at Dickinson guest house very soon. Thanks Jim!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
It was good to see you again! I trust all is well now that you have had time to catch up with things. I am happy that you noticed the change in business services. It has been hard to work with some companies here, but in the end I finally got the good speed that is now available in this side of the city! I hope you come down for a visit sometime that is not all business. There is a lot to see!
Take care,
Jim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Palm Beach County, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We didn't know what to expect of GDL having never been there. So, we chose Dickinson because we felt that having an English speaking Mexican resident could best inform us about getting around. The house was very spacious. The owner was very accomodating and anticipated our needs. We were there for a medical visit. You can use the American phone line for free calls to the state. Fast internet. And, a Mexican cell phone for use when traveling around thrown in. Who can beat that? We could walk to nice restaurants, the bank and 2 parks. People were so friendly. The only inconvenience we had was having to rely on the inconsistent taxi drivers. We slept great. Quiet with memory foam mattress topper. It sure beat the hotel that the clinic put us in the first few nights.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank constantgardnereg
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Thank you for the kind review! I am happy that you chose this convenient location for your stay and hope to see you in the near future if everything works out in your best interests. It is good to hear someone appreciate the extra things that are done for the guest's comfort; like the memory foam beds, free phone service, cell phones, etc. I am sorry that the taxi service was not as you are used to in the U.S., but we can always have a private driver for you if you have a schedule that is a little more regular. I know this was one of those times where appointments were scheduled differently for a specific reason. I hope you enjoyed the tour of the historical downtown area and the great dinner at La Pasta restaurant close to the house. It was a pleasure to have you here. I hope you recieved the computer and phone cord I mailed back to you in Florida, and look forward to a visit in the near future. Thanks again!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I stayed recently here for 8 days alone and could not have chosen a more perfect, safe, and convenient location. I’ll definitely be back. Among the amenities in this immaculately clean roomy garden oasis in the heart of Chapalita:
Eclectic furnishings, lots of natural light, abundant house plants, fresh air and open floor plan downstairs remind one that they are welcome house guests, not customers with a room number. I was welcomed straight from an overnight flight before 8 a.m. with a smile! Meticulously clean home and serene décor both upstairs and downstairs mirror the host’s demeanor of quiet and sophisticated elegance. James has an innate sense of when and where his assistance is needed. He always had something to snack on and offered to shop for anything I wished to eat. Lots of fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, and quality breakfast choices attest to both his gourmet passion and front-of-house savoire faire. I was happy not to be on a breakfast (or any) schedule! Complimentary hi-speed wi-fi throughout the house kept me connected anywhere I went to relax with my laptop. Complimentary long distance private house phone to the U.S. as well as cell phones available to carry around the city are added convenience for friends and family members...I felt secure knowing l could reach the owner, James if I needed to. Also convenient was the expanded cable television service (yes I watched T.V. in English!) and complimentary washer/dryer upstairs.
Since I was solo for the week, I also appreciated the opportunity to have James' guidance and company dining out at a few of the fabulous neighborhood restaurants during my stay. I also made use of his tour guide connection, Ilsa, for a fabulous shopping tour of Tlaquepaque (not to be missed)! Ilsa’s fluent negotiating skills saved me more dinero than her service fee!
Overall, this stay was a TEN for me…I am already planning to return in the fall with friends and wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else in the Guadalajara area. Very convenient and safe location!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank livinglocally
Dear J......that was some review! You were a paying guest and were cooking like you lived here! It was wonderful! Would you please come back and sear me some more of that fresh AHI tuna that we picked up at the fish market???? The dressing you made from plain yogourt and bleu cheese was wonderful with the apple salad. Sorry I did not tell you that it was Activa yogourt!!! Good wine choices as well. Guests like you are great to have. Come visit more often! Thanks very much........J
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed February 17, 2011

This review is belated but can assure you it is for no other reason than I am a horrible procrastinator.
My surgery with Dr Cardenas was August 13, 2010. I spent 15 pampered days and nights at the Dickinson Guest House. Jim Dickinson was not only a marvelous host but a extraordinary nurse, chef, tour guide (not much touring in my condition), translator, shopper, advisor and companion. He was there when I woke up and went to bed and looked after my every need.
And then there is the place itself. The house is immaculate and furnished right out of House Beautiful. The grounds and other accoutrements were beyond my wildest expectations. He provides music for your ears, food for your tummy, 24/7 phone service to anywhere in the U.S., unlimited wi-fi for the initiated, and more TV channels than you can ever want - all included in the cost of your stay. Try finding that in any other accomodation, anywhere. And if you care to go for a walk in the beautiful neighborhood, you will find well-maintained parks and gardens, shops and restaurants and lovely homes in any direction, all within easy walking distance.
In spite of the adverse news reporting, I never felt the least bit insecure or unsafe at any time during my stay in the cosmopolitan city of Guadalajara. A truly memorable experience. I highly recommend it.

Totally satisfied,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 7, 2011

this was our first time visiting Dickinson Guest House and I have to say, with great pleasure, that it will NOT be our last stay.
It is nice to have a full kitchen available and stocked 24 hours for breakfast or snacks
the owner was very available and helpful.in making sure our needs were met and excelled.
I am looking forward to our next visit this Febuary for a leasurly weekend in Mexico.
thank you for the fabulious five star service.
jim

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
oyama
Reviewed February 1, 2011

IT WAS HOME AWAY FROM HOME, FRIENDLY, CLEAN AND ALL In all wonderful, would recommend it to all,, Kristina Altun

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I travelled to Guadalajara from Australia for cosmetic surgery with Dr Cardenas. I had heard many wonderful reports on Jim and his guesthouse and I was not disappointed. I had limited mobility after my surgery and Jim took me to the clinic for all my 10 appointments, took me to and from the airport, went shopping for me, took me shopping, cooked and served my meals and even provided assistance with dressing. He was also a wonderful companion spending a lot of time with me during my recovery, becoming more of a friend than a host.

The house is in a beautiful neighbourhood and within easy walking distance to Dr Cardenas' clinic, shops and some tranquil rose gardens. The whole house was kept impeccably clean and organised during my 3 week stay. Jim went to special effort to make my room safe and comfortable for me after my surgery. The internet access was speedy and reliable and there were numerous television channels available. All the meals Jim prepared for me were delicious and the kitchen was always well stocked.

I highly recommend anyone travelling to Guadalajara to stay at Jim's guest house. If you are travelling to have surgery, Dickinson guest house is a smart choice. You will have Jim's support and a comfortable large house to recover in.

Jim is truly the most gracious host you could wish for.

I am so looking forward to my next stay with him.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo