“Inadequate” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #92 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Mexico City, Mexico
“Inadequate”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

The Camino Real Expo is virtually across the street from the Expo Guadalajara exhibition site. That is perhaps this hotel's only good quality. It looks fine from the lobby, but the picture changes when you go to your room. Both hard and soft furnishings are worn, with wooden surfaces clearly in need of refinishing. Many of the room's lighting fixtures - including reading lamps - did not work. In the bathroom there are insufficient and greying bath towels and a total absence of wash cloths.

The big problem, however, relates to room security. The door to my room did not lock/close easily and while I recognized this early on and pulled hard to make sure that I heard the click of the lock, house keeping staff did not do so and I returned to the room twice on different days to find the door unlocked. Nothing was lost; complaints to reception helped but that offered no real guarantee.
Guests are billed for drinking water and for internet connections. The restaurant is a grim place with overpriced Italian food.

A promised electronic copy of the official factura has never turned up, despite return trips to reception to inquire. There are too many other hotels in the vicinity for anyone to make the convenience of the Camino Real's location a determining factor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
sacramento ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

I had read before that one prior person had their belongings stolen, in spite of great security. My safe was broken and I got cleaned out of my Christmas money, not once but twice. I reported it and they did nothing, other than the mangaer is not around and convinintly would return the day of my departure. Then another guest reported their ipod stolen. To get to the room you need to go past security, use a magnetic key and have all the time in the world. they went trough the closet, my clothes and the borken safe. They never fixed the safe and then returned for more money. In spite of leaving my nephew in charge, they refused to review the digital tapes to see who went in and when. AVOID THIS DEN OF THIEVES. I AM THE THIRD GUEST IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME. AN INSIDE JOB FOR SURE.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank drjsanchez

Travelers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

We had to sit in reception for 3 hours because no rooms were available. We went to little tour for some malls and downtown. When I back to the hotel and they give us the room, the room were so cold and the air conditioner in the first room not working, I called to recepcionist and sent a facilities tech. but he cannot repair anything, the bath was clog!!! Defininelly I call to my traveler and request a new hotel but they sent me to another room (upgrade) is a little better but the air conditioner not working well.The carpets are very worn and need to be replacing, The walls are paper thin and you can clearly hear the conversation in the room next to you, The noise from the halls could be heard all night. The blow dryer in the bathroom worked for about 30 seconds before overheating. The Comunnication center is not open also the GYM is out for repair.

In general the service and facilities of the hotel needs to be improve. I don't back again to this Hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cesar M
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

We arrived at the hotel around 12:30 p.m. and were told by the front desk that we had to wait for a while because there were no rooms available at that moment. We waited at the lobby until the 2 rooms we reserved were available at around 4:30 p.m. Four hours of waiting!!! One of our colleagues took her one-and-a-half-year-old son with her on that trip. The poor little boy also had to wander around the lobby for four hours. The hotel staff didn't seem to care. They even asked us to pay fully before the rooms were available. We made a reservation for 2 rooms for 11 nights each, and the hotel required us to pay fully upon checking-in! Aren't we supposed to pay when we check out?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

I travel to Guadlajara 4 times a year for business. This trip the two hotels I usually stay in Crown Plaza and Fiesta Americana, were not available at a reasonable rate, I book almost exclusively with Hotels.com. Because of its location I chose the Camino Real, Expo. Not a good decision.

The rooms are spacious, but sparsely furnished. The bed was comfortable. The carpets are very worn and need replacing, The walls are paper thin and you can clearly hear the conversation in the room next to you, The noise from the halls could be heard all night. At 8am the maid knocked on my door to offer cleaning, I checked after she left, I DID have the do not disturb sign on my door. The internet is a total rip off at $ 17.28 US per day.. Last nut not least the rooms lacked two things that make a 4 star hotel to me. 1) No in room safe 2 ) no robe or slippers

The food in the restaurant BICE, while reasonably priced but not of good quality. The adult beverages on the other hand were done very well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

Overall, this is a nice place, but there were lots of litlte things that ultimately add up to a bad review. The water temperature at this place is great, if you like very hot water. It is very hard to regulate the water temperature in the shower. Because of the modern look, you have to go up two steps to go into the tub/shower, which means you must go down the two steps to get out. It is very, very slippery and dangerous. The blow dryer in the bathroom worked for about 30 seconds before overheating. I called to ask for one that didn't overheat, and it took them 25 minutes to get it to my room. The carpet in the room was very stained in several places. Most hotels in Mexico have tiled hallways, so they are very loud. My room was across from the elevator, so the voices of everyone getting on and off vibrated down the uncarpeted hallway. The hotel is across from the Expo Center, and my room faced onto the street. The noise coming from the rock band who were playing that night coupled with the elevator/ice maker kept me from getting a good night's sleep. The coffee in the room was not free - $5 . There are better choices - try the Hilton.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

I have stayed at the Camino Real Expo 5 times this year. The first three stays were pretty good. The last two stays have been markedly worse than the others.

1. The hotel chain has a loyalty program called Circulo Real. In my 5 stays, the points were never credited to the room even though I presented the card at the desk at each check in.

2. On my last stay It goes something like this... the first two floors have the gym and a bar. I was placed right across from the gym... a high traffic area... further the room was in need of a refurbishment... heavily worn/stained carpeting.

3. On my current stay, I mentioned to the reception that my Circulo Real points had never been credited... he said he would assist... and upgrade my room. The "upgrade" was the worst room of all of my stays at the hotel... right next to the bar. There was hair in the sink and on one of the towels... yuck. Huge stains marked the carpet. I asked to be moved. In the new room the fridge/minibar is dead... I could not finish my dinner and wanted to put it int he fridge... que sera, sera.

Not a great way to treat or greet a regular guest, is it?

I might add that tonight 11/10/2008, it is midnight and there is a VERY loud rock concert just across the street in the Expo's concert venue... a Tuesday night BTW. I imagine this beyon dthe hotel's control... but may just e another reason to choose other accommodations.

At this point, I recommend that you choose a different hotel in GDL... as there are plenty in this very nice city.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It is falling apart
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)