“Wonderful home away from home; great new friends”

La Perla Hotel Boutique B&B
Ranked #1 of 61 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful home away from home; great new friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've been taking my time writing a review, since I was at La Perla only for a couple of days prior to New Years' Eve, 2012....Lars and Cristobal and Memo were awesome hosts, and I really enjoyed visiting La Perla for the first time. My room (El Teatro) was so comfortable, and I have to say that the bathroom was incredible. Chris and Lars made me feel so welcome as a solo traveler visiting Guadalajara for the first time. Lars quicly gave me a tour of Central Guadalajara, and Memo showed me around later that night when I wanted to get out and get a cocktail (!!!). Lars gladly gave me directions and tips about visiting Tlaquepaque, and New Year's Eve pizza with the entire crew was really fun. I felt I was visiting long term friends. Thank you all for making me feel so at home. I will visit again as soon as I can. Soctt

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. The El Teatro room was large; the four poster bed was incredible. I slept...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

LaPerla is a very intimate B&B in the Colonia Americana district of Guadalajara, near embassies and on the edge of the University of Guadalajara campus. The area is filled with wonderful old, historic mansions and architecture and you are just steps away from everything the centro historical district has to offer. You can walk everywhere safely and you'll love the people both inside LaPerla as well as the people on the streets... Guadalajara is a friendly city, that's for sure. There are four guest rooms, each with an ensuite bath and the owners, Chris & Lars are excellent hosts.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

From the moment we walked into La Perla, it felt like home. Lars, Christopher, and the rest of the staff warmly greeted us and made us immediately feel welcome and relaxed. Everyone was genuinely interested in finding out what we wanted to do while in Guadalajara (it was our first time there) and helping us plan out each day we were there. Their knowledge of the city center and the surrounding areas was quite deep. Whatever we were interested in, they were able to point us in the right direction. From restaurants to bars to shopping to sightseeing, they knew it all. When it was time to go, I can honestly say that I was genuinely sad to be leaving such a wonderful home, city and new friends. But that just makes me look forward to my next visit to Guadalajara and La Perla.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

It's not often that you find reasonably priced accommodations where you truly feel at home, where the proprietors have your best interests at heart, and where you are perfectly positioned in the middle of all the attractions. Usually something is missing, but not at LaPerla! This B&B is in a 100yr old mansion, carefully preserved with modern amenties, that offers a rare and intriguing taste of stately living in Mexico. The staff are equally impressive, anticipating your every need and desire. Lars and Christopher have a great knowledge of the area's attractions, culinary options and entertainment and shopping venues, and once they understand your interests, they will help you craft a customized daily itinerary. They truly want you to have a most memorable experience and they have thought about every detail imaginable, from lighting candles if you want to enjoy the evening on the screened front porch to providing ear plugs in the event you are not used to the occasional city noise. I left Guadalajara full of nostalgia and yearning to return to a great home full of new found friends and experiences. This is LaPerla.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert S
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I would never have had the incredible Guadalajara experience without Lorenzo and Cristobal as their insights, suggestions, but above all, their hospitality made our four day stay absolutely wonderful. Over glasses of wine every evening at 6:00 plans were made, stories were shared, and friendships were born. The best part.....aside from Cristobal's fajita lunch on the roof top terrace!!....was the care that Lorenzo took in making sure we headed out each morning and evening with detailed directions and a calm assurance that we were in for a time to remember.

Just one example out of the dozen times that Lorenzo went out of his way to take care of us...... After a long day of flights we just wanted a simple, relaxing dinner so Lorenzo said that he would walk the 6 blocks with us to La Cafeteria to not only show us the way but to show us that walking at night was really very safe. We get to the restaurant, a cute house on a corner with a front patio full of tables, one of them with our names on it. But....we didn't arrive with pesos and they don't take credit cards. Not to worry! Lorenzo walks back to La Perla and returns shortly with 500 pesos, saying, "Enjoy dinner! Pay me back tomorrow!"....and leaves us to relax over dinner. At that moment we knew that we had absolutely picked the right place to stay.

The location was perfect, the room with the terrace delightful, and the whole La Perla family (Lorenzo, Cristobal, Guillermo, Martin, Nacho, Zapatito,...) are the real Guadalajara! Thank you, again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnandJeri
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We arrived in Guadalajara with limited time, and an agenda that, in retrospect, was at the limit of feasibility. Lars personal attention, guidance, and suggestions were vital to our plans, and more importantly, his guidance was significant in making our experience of Guadalajara simply amazing. La Perla is a wonderfully restored property. The rooms are comfortable. The location is quiet and relaxed. Breakfast was fantastic and provided a time to talk. Lars helped us plan, and personally led us through the first days to enable us to get a sense of the city. There are many restaurants within walking distance that are just excellent. Overall our time spent at La Perla was a high point of our trip. Lars, thank you for all that you did for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cooncat123
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Two friends and I took the three rooms in La Perla for our first trip to Guadalajara. We could not have been more delighted and thrilled. Lorenzo and Christobal were amazing hosts and took care of our every needs. Guadalajara is an exotic destination, and the folks at La Perla made sure we knew exactly where to go and how to get there. Lorenzo took us on a tour of the old city which was geared to us personally, so we were able to go back to the old city in our own time and see the sights that interested us. The gentlemen of La Perla made sure we knew how to get to the nightclubs which were in easy walking distance of the inn. Walking to restaurants, sights and nightlife is easy from La Perla, and we felt safe at any hour. To find such a warm, comfortable atmosphere with caring affable hosts was a real treat. I can not recommend La Perla highly enough, and I know I speak for my two traveling companions who were equally bowled over. Do yourself a favor and stay at La Perla

Room Tip: The "teatro" room is lovely with a generously apportioned bathroom
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends