“Geat Hosts, Location and facilities”

La Perla Hotel Boutique B&B
Ranked #1 of 59 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Lafayette, California
“Geat Hosts, Location and facilities”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife and I recently visited Guadalajara and wished to stay in a more prestigious area than the usual tourist area of Tlaquepaque and Tonola. We were so fortunate to book with La Perla located in the Colonial America area. Cris and Lars are wonderful hosts and go way beyond what we expected for service. Lars spent an evening and a morning showing us the area with it's turn of the century opulent colonial homes many of which have been converted into retaurants and shops.The Inn is charming, loaded with antiques and the two host the display young aspiring artist works thoughout the rooms. Dean and Christel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were there for 3 wonderful days, and what made it wonderful was the superb hospitality by Lars and Chris and Memo and the entire staff. First, the building is beautiful, the rooms were just decorated with the right mix of charm and modern conveniences, and breakfast was great. Secondly, if you get the priviledge of going on a walking tour with Lars, make sure you do! Bring good walking shoes, and get ready for an fun, insider's tour of the city. Also, the recommendations for restaurants and where to shop were spot on. We felt like we were at home and will return soon. THIS is the place to stay!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I've done my share of travelling and I don't think I've ever enjoyed any hotel or B&B as much as I enjoyed my stay at La Perla. The building itself has a grand feel to it when you enter. It's beautifully furnished and the walls are decorated with wonderful contemporary paintings by Mexican artists. I loved our stay in the dramatic Estrella de Teatro room with its four poster canopied bed. I saw the other rooms and was equally impressed with how they were decorated. Lars, Cristobal, Memo and Nacho worked together seamlessly to make us feel special; always helpful, never intrusive. It really was like staying with family that you like.

If you want to give the gift of a memory that lasts a lifetime, this is the place. And they do it for you! I wanted to do something special for my partner's birthday. Cristobal was in contact with me long before our arrival and provided multiple options, all at very reasonable prices. He asked about favorite flowers, cake, etc and wanted to know anything that could be added to make our stay personal. For the birthday celebration, Cristobal orchestrated a series of surprises that led to the declaration of "best birthday ever." Even better was that I didn't have to do a thing.

La Perla has a great location, within walking distance to some great restaurants and museums. The staff helped us get oriented and even took us out to some of the clubs. I know that we will be coming back for more of the La Perla experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at La Perla for 5 days (my mom and me, from California). We went to Guadalajara for some art, architecture, and a little tequila. What we got was a family, a home away from home, peacefulness, adventure, discovery and a profound understanding of Guadalajaran life.

La Perla and our hosts (Lars, Cristobal, Memo, Nacho, Noe...) shared with us the vacation of dreams: cozy morning breakfasts of more than we could ever eat, enchanting rooms and an impeccably decorated home of treasures, a rooftop where I took in a moment of sunrise and sunset each day, a neighborhood that can't possibly be safer - I went running in the early morning and came home late from jazz clubs walking - no problem; we were located a couple blocks from charming restaurants - both upscale or hipster bohemian or local down to earth Jaliscan favorites like the bustling Mercado Mexicaltzingo where our hosts knew all the chefs. During the day I strolled, meandered through town, and took the local buses everywhere. We couldn't believe how easy it was to get to places around and beyond Guadalajara with such little Spanish.

I've been all around the world, lived abroad, worked in foreign countries, and never felt so comfortable and inspired than my experience at La Perla.

La Perla offered a community of wonderful, fun, knowledgable friends, fellow guests, and hosts. In the evenings, we shared lively conversation over a cocktail while we had a chance to talk about our day's exploration and get ideas on what to do tomorrow. One day, we visited an incredible village of Atotonilco that Cristobal and Memo showed us, saw gorgeous agave fields, tasted tequila, and relaxed for an abundant lunch (I ate a pollo&vegetable dish served in the traditional 'molcajete' - insanely delicious and served piping hot) and my mother later said our lunch there was the best meal we had in Guadalajara. That experience of the countryside was something I would never have known to do on my own.

The best was the people we met at la Perla. One gentleman was on business from Bordeaux, France in the wine industry; other guests were on their way to Puerto Vallerta and didn't want to pass up staying at La Perla for a few days beforehand (he loved it so much he has stayed at La Perla nearly a dozen times.)

I will be back to see my friends in Guadalajara and hope my family and friends have the chance to experience this as well.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'Cine' Room, which was calm, private and never heard a noise from other roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My friends & I recently booked all three rooms for a long weekend stay in Guadalajara . All roms were absolutely decorated. and every attention to detail has been thoroughly planned out. My friend Russ had a problem with his bathroom but within 3 minutes it was being resolved. Talk about response time & customer service. I walked all over the house as if I was at home. The staff is great and even accompanied us to the bars on all nights. It's location is wonderful and close to both Chapultepec & Downtown. Very safe to walk around at anytime. There is always someone on-call in case there is a need. or if you have a special request I am certain Chris, Lars, Memo and the rest of the Staff will bend over backwards to satisfy every request.within reason.I am already planning a future stay and I am definitely becoming a guest here for many years to come.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at La Perla in Guadelajara, MX. This is not your average boutique hotel environment.
upon entering through the front doors one transcends in the world of the golden age of silent film. Attention to detail is evident everywhere throughout this home: from the bathrooms thru to the bedrooms. As one glides down the spanish style staircase into the living room art is present everywhere. This house is an experience like no other; and as for service! WOW!!!
The hosts are Lars and Chris. Very personable. Breakfast is excellent and the hosts will join their guests at the table. The food is plentiful, fresh and bought daily.
The hosts will also accompany their guests and familiarize them with their local surroundings. I highly recommend this B&B to everyone. You will not be disappointed!!! and as for the silent film pedigree? Experience for yourselves. Ask about the harp in the corner, and yes, it is tuned.

Russ, Vancouver, BC., CA

Room Tip: small dogs only. All rooms face the from receiving morning sun. Very nice. Radio and Cine both h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank cepia
McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We had decided to have them pick us up at the airport since we were new to the city and were arriving late. We were greeted with a smile and hug. Upon arriving at La Perla, Lorenzo welcomes us by name and offers us a glass a wine and we meet Memo and Ignacio (Nacho) who assist with the care.

Our bedroom and bathroom are tastefully appointed and very spacious. The detail such as personal cards with our names printed on their business cards with a map for our use, the clocks in the main sitting room showing the time from our home town are just an example. The breakfast includes fresh fruit and yogurts with choices of toppings plus fresh pastry, hard boiled eggs, tea and coffee. Oh yes, just outside your bedroom each morning you have your beverage of choice before going to breakfast.

One of the nicest perks we found was that Lars personally takes his guests on a tour of the downtown and points out places of interest. We could not wish for a better introduction and personal attention given to us which made our first visit to the city so enjoyable.

Susan and Roger
McMinnville, OR

Room Tip: each of their three rooms were all attractive.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple