“Great Hotel to stay downtown Gudalajara”

Hotel Morales Historical & Colonial Downtown Core
Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Guadalajara
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Great Hotel to stay downtown Gudalajara”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel (myself, wife and 2 small children). The hotel is huge old Spanish-type house very well renovated. Rooms are big and can fit very comfortably the 2 queen size beds plus a couple of cribs.
Staff are really helpful including people who park your car for you.
Restaurant is big and breakfast is good (although you can have cheaper breakfasts nearby).
But without a doubt, what beats everything else is the location. It is 4 blocks from the Cathedral and the rest of the downtown attractions.
i would recommend staying here if your goal is being downtown.

Room Tip: Although not to noisy, if you like quiet, ask for an interior room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
The Bottom Of The Margarita Glass
Reviewed November 15, 2012

When my wife and I decided to make a spur of the moment trip to Guadalajara, it would be our first time to this wonderful city. After finding our way downtown, we were directed to the Holtel Morales and were treated wonderfully form our very first encounter with the dorrman. He cheerfully greeted us while taking our bags and showed us to the very friendly and english speaking reservation staff. The doorman then showed us to our room on the 2nd floor and done in a decor od a time past. We visited the rooftop pool with views stretching across the city and exercise facility. In the morning we had a very nice breakfast buffet on the main level.

The hotel is located across the street form the horse drawn carriages that take you on a narrated tour of the historic downtown area. We are planning to go back tomorrow :)

Room Tip: The inside rooms are quieter and the curtains keep the morning light out.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to thanks Hotel Morales staff. The accommodations are quaint, comfortable, and clean. The meals (Breakfast and Dinner) are truly amazing! The entire staff was completely accommodating and very nice. The environment is very friendly, traveling alone, I meet folks from all over. Once I check at Hotel Morales , there is no need to leave or travel anywhere else. Great place to stay in Guadalajara.

Your staff were a real credit to you - very attentive, polite and everything ran very smoothly. The room was a perfect size and the restaurant tables were beautifully set out. Your waiting staff served the meal very efficiently, and it was piping hot and absolutely delicious. I was well attended to by your bar staff and they were always on hand to ensure my glass was always full.

I would especially like to thank you for your time and effort leading up to ensure I was able to

I would have no hesitation in using your services again or recommending your hotel. I wish you all the very best for the future.

Marcelo Coronel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We a got a fantastic rate via a well known online booking site. The hotel is in a beautiful historic building. We were given a huge room in the new wing. It was facing the street so , yeah it was a bit noisy but that added to the experience. The sound of horses hooves on the cobblestones early in the morning was actually kind of romantic. The gym and rooftop pool are great , especially after all the Tacos and beer the night before. The location is perfect for first time visitors, a short walk to all the major sites.

Negatives .... The staff tend to be a little "gruff" , but we found that with most wait/service staff in G'jara.

Imperial Beach, California, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is simply magnificent, colonial arquitecture, the most important historical landmarks in Guadalajara are within walking distance.
The restaurant is quite good.
The staff is impeccable.
Free valet parking if you have car, very convenient.

Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was my second time at this hotel, the first time I went I was very happy with the excellent experience that I had. The room that I was given was wonderful and I was very impressed. On my last trip to this hotel, I had asked for a nice room. However they said that they were very full and gave me a room with a queen bed. I was not very happy with it was small, and the bath tub and shower did not work well with hardly any hot water. I think that the room was located in an older part of the buliding. It did not feel that it was very cozy and we heard everything that was going on in that wing of the buliding. The next time I am in town I will try out another hotel. If you are without a car I would recommend staying here since it is located right down town. The staff was not very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice room above the lobby, that is where I stayed on my first trip. The rooms were larger...
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like this hotel. It is an old colonial restored building, rather austere from the outside. When you enter you see the fountain in the central lobby area but rather than being charming we all found it dark and depressing. The interior walls are painted in what is probably a historical colour, but the overall yellow ochre effect makes it seem dingy. The sister part to the hotel is painted cream and it makes a big difference to lifting the ambiente of the hotel. The lobby furniture is worn and dated and the restaurant is situated to the right. There are slightly scruffy dark wood (everything here is dark wood) tables and chairs with white and maroon tablecloths. It doesn't look very enticing - certainly no starched table linen and nice cutlery. Whatever you do, don't eat here. The food was vile on our first evening's arrival. I should have known when I was presented with colourful sticky menus that we were in for trouble - never a good sign - but we were ravenous and the area immediately outside the hotel didn't look safe for wandering around late at night. My husband's T-Bone steak was served grey, as if it has been boiled not grilled. His baked potato was rock hard. My daughter's spaghetti bolognaise was swimming in 2cms of pasta liquid. My enchiladas were like nothing else I tasted in Mexico (and we do love Mexican food!). All went back to the kitchen barely touched. No one asked us if there was a problem, no one offered us a reduction off the bill when my husband pointed out that we had been unable to eat the food. Everything was grimy and sticky in the restaurant. Having read all the other reviews of the breakfasts, I realise I am totally out of step with the other reviews, but it was vile. Whatever was in the tureens was slushy and unappetising. The little cakes and pastries looked nice, but were stale. In the end I ordered white toast and we fell on it fawning as it was the only edible thing to eat. We were doubly excited when we were given little packets of Heinz strawberry jam to eat with it - not good enough Hotel Morales - you have 4 and 5 stars on a lot of your branding. While this is clearly not the case, you could do a lot better with your breakfasts and the way it is presented. We too were given the infamous room 212 with no windows, only a small one to the dark interior courtyard. It was horrible. Dark worn furniture, dark frames on everything in the room and bathroom, nicotine- coloured painted walls. We were moved to a room with windows and a balcony the next day, but the rooms are still depressing. It wouldn't take much to brighten them up. Paint them white or cream to get over the lack of natural light. Change the hideous polyester bedspreads and pillow cases to gorgeous white Mexican cotton and it would make a huge difference to this hotel. We couldn't wait to get out of there for the second half of our stay in Guadalajara. On the positive side, our room was very well cleaned, the two maids we had were delightful, the front desk were helpful ( except when it came to charging full price for our horrible meal), and the man who drives the official hotel taxi was amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. His car was clean and smelled beautiful and it was worthwhile paying a few extra pesos not to be ripped off by the notorious Guadalajara yellow cab drivers - who either don't want to turn their meters on, or arrive with 45pesos on the clock and don't want to turn it off. Good luck!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family