“Colonial getaway!”

Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Imperial Beach, California, United States
“Colonial getaway!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is simply magnificent, colonial arquitecture, the most important historical landmarks in Guadalajara are within walking distance.
The restaurant is quite good.
The staff is impeccable.
Free valet parking if you have car, very convenient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was my second time at this hotel, the first time I went I was very happy with the excellent experience that I had. The room that I was given was wonderful and I was very impressed. On my last trip to this hotel, I had asked for a nice room. However they said that they were very full and gave me a room with a queen bed. I was not very happy with it was small, and the bath tub and shower did not work well with hardly any hot water. I think that the room was located in an older part of the buliding. It did not feel that it was very cozy and we heard everything that was going on in that wing of the buliding. The next time I am in town I will try out another hotel. If you are without a car I would recommend staying here since it is located right down town. The staff was not very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice room above the lobby, that is where I stayed on my first trip. The rooms were larger...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like this hotel. It is an old colonial restored building, rather austere from the outside. When you enter you see the fountain in the central lobby area but rather than being charming we all found it dark and depressing. The interior walls are painted in what is probably a historical colour, but the overall yellow ochre effect makes it seem dingy. The sister part to the hotel is painted cream and it makes a big difference to lifting the ambiente of the hotel. The lobby furniture is worn and dated and the restaurant is situated to the right. There are slightly scruffy dark wood (everything here is dark wood) tables and chairs with white and maroon tablecloths. It doesn't look very enticing - certainly no starched table linen and nice cutlery. Whatever you do, don't eat here. The food was vile on our first evening's arrival. I should have known when I was presented with colourful sticky menus that we were in for trouble - never a good sign - but we were ravenous and the area immediately outside the hotel didn't look safe for wandering around late at night. My husband's T-Bone steak was served grey, as if it has been boiled not grilled. His baked potato was rock hard. My daughter's spaghetti bolognaise was swimming in 2cms of pasta liquid. My enchiladas were like nothing else I tasted in Mexico (and we do love Mexican food!). All went back to the kitchen barely touched. No one asked us if there was a problem, no one offered us a reduction off the bill when my husband pointed out that we had been unable to eat the food. Everything was grimy and sticky in the restaurant. Having read all the other reviews of the breakfasts, I realise I am totally out of step with the other reviews, but it was vile. Whatever was in the tureens was slushy and unappetising. The little cakes and pastries looked nice, but were stale. In the end I ordered white toast and we fell on it fawning as it was the only edible thing to eat. We were doubly excited when we were given little packets of Heinz strawberry jam to eat with it - not good enough Hotel Morales - you have 4 and 5 stars on a lot of your branding. While this is clearly not the case, you could do a lot better with your breakfasts and the way it is presented. We too were given the infamous room 212 with no windows, only a small one to the dark interior courtyard. It was horrible. Dark worn furniture, dark frames on everything in the room and bathroom, nicotine- coloured painted walls. We were moved to a room with windows and a balcony the next day, but the rooms are still depressing. It wouldn't take much to brighten them up. Paint them white or cream to get over the lack of natural light. Change the hideous polyester bedspreads and pillow cases to gorgeous white Mexican cotton and it would make a huge difference to this hotel. We couldn't wait to get out of there for the second half of our stay in Guadalajara. On the positive side, our room was very well cleaned, the two maids we had were delightful, the front desk were helpful ( except when it came to charging full price for our horrible meal), and the man who drives the official hotel taxi was amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. His car was clean and smelled beautiful and it was worthwhile paying a few extra pesos not to be ripped off by the notorious Guadalajara yellow cab drivers - who either don't want to turn their meters on, or arrive with 45pesos on the clock and don't want to turn it off. Good luck!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank H0lmes
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

For my first time to Guadalajara for tourism, this place was perfect. It has the wow factor when you walk in, it's clean, the rooms are nice, and they even have a heated pool on the roof. You can walk everywhere, and there is a taqueria across the street. We took a corner room, #218, that had three balconies. Noise was no issue in this room as the balcony doors were all double glass. It's a great hotel, the staff are nice and for anyone staying for pleasure, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brian J
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Hotel Morales is located in the middle of the historic center of the city. It is only three blocks to the famous Cathedral, City Council, various museums, theatre etc.
There is no Wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby. The signal there is fairly strong.
There is a gym and pool on the roof.
The staff is helpful and friendly.
The restaurant is average.
Overall an excellent price-benefit ratio in a great historic building with modern facilities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank globaldancer
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Classy old hotel in the Zona Central, very nice people from the front desk to the chambermaids to the concierge. We showed up without a reservation and persuaded them to give us a room for the price we would have paid had we booked through hotel.com. Can't say the same for the San Francisco. Nice, quiet room, very comfortable bed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 19, 2012

A lovely hotel in Guadalajara-- very charming with a lot of history. Lots of picture of matadors. The architecture inside the hotel is delightful! The rooms were spacious, clean, and well-furnished. Such a convenient location too. Really happy with this choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple