“Great Hotel”

Aurea Hotel and Suites
Ranked #29 of 131 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We have stayed here for just over a week in two separate visits and cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It may not be in a convenient location for some visitors as it is about 30 minutes from the city centre but as we have friends in the area, it suited us. We stayed in a junior suite which was spacious and well appointed and excellent value for money. The staff were always good natured and gracious and tried hard to communicate, bearing in mind that we have no Spanish. The complimentary breakfast of fresh fruit, cereal, toast and pastries, juice, tea and coffee is more than adequate and a full breakfast is available for a minimal extra cost. It is quiet, peaceful and very clean. We will be staying here again as we continue to use Guadalajara as our base for our visit to Mexico.

Room Tip: The junior suite is very large with a huge bed and sofa, fridge, table and chairs and you might be l...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Nice hotel, grounds, location. Only one male at the front desk was nice. I went at 4 p.m. to ask this girl for ice and she said the kitchen was only open for lunch and there was no ice at this time. She suggested I could walk to the pharmacy down the street to buy some. I then see the chef and asked him for ice, he was so nice he sent someone to buy it (for some reason the hotel doesn't have this technology...) and deliver it to the room. The rude front desk girl gave me a horrible look when she saw I could get ice after the kitchen was closed! The free continental breakfast is deceiving. They set all the breakfast items around the room, you start eating and then they say, only the cereal, and that bread, that fruit and only milk but not juice are included in the continental breakfast. It's a trap, I only had juice and some fruit and the poor ladies didn't know how to tell me some of the fruit or the juice wasn't included :(

Room Tip: We booked the Suite Diamond. The "suite" is one big room, not really a suite with separate...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Different to most hotels in Guadalajara, that are big buildings with many stories, Suites Carolina is only 4 stories building with a green and beautiful yard and pool in the back of the property. Parking lot is "on surface" with plants and trees. Rooms are spacious and clean. Location over Lopez Mateos Av. is a good place. But the best of the hotel is the people. Employees are warm and helpful. They are expecting to help you in anything. Personally i want to say thank you to Marcos. He bought for me at 1 AM a medicine for pain. Really he is an outstanding worker. In short : good location, green property and staff extremly friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks at the hotel, the people were extremly gracious, frendly and informative we are Canadians and spole very little Mexican,the front desk clerk (Geraldo excuse me if not spelt correctly) and our shuttle driver Carlos(Charles) were always there to help us with whatever we needed.
We will stay again beautiful property shuttle bus takes you to airport and some business appointments, very clean and nice people.

Mike and Dorothy
Calgary, AB Canada

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dorothy L
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I recently spent 27 nights in a Junior Suite (room 211) at the Suites Carolina. And we loved it.

Let's talk about the location... It's approximately 1 kilometer south of Plaza del Sol near Expo Guadalajara. The location is convenient for business or for tourism with taxis to most parts of town costing well under $10.00. The hotel also has direct nearby bus service to Tlajomulco (business, golf and medical tourism), Plaza Del Sol and historical downtown Guadalajara. With secure, free parking, you can also take advantage of its easy access to Lopez Mateos, Mexico 15 and the main Periferico beltway around the metropolitan area.

The rooms are extremely comfortable with high ceilings and nice trim. As noted by another reviewer, the room has a Pergo (wood laminate) floor, marble and granite bathroom, extremely supportive (but firm) King bed, and flat screen TV. The TV had a "normal" remote control and a HDMI cable, letting you connect your notebook computer or iPad. The bathroom was the nicest I have seen since I stayed at the Four Seasons Hualalai in terms of size and appointments with excellent water pressure. (if you go to Guadalajara in the hot season you'll be taking A LOT of showers, so this really matters!). The kitchen had a sink, coffeemaker, large and powerful microwave, refrigerator/freezer, and two-burner cooktop with vent hood. The room also had a sofa which pulled out into a sofabed. I can't comment on the comfort of the sofabed, but both my wife and i fell asleep on the sofa comfortably.

While the hotel is located right on busy Lopez Mateos, it is extremely quiet and comfortable. This likely comes from its narrow and deep lot which keeps the rooms away from the road. In addition, the ownership has extensively landscaped the property, turning what could have been a run-of-the-mill motel into an urban oasis. I loved waking up and seeing the hibiscus and bougainvilla plants as I walked to breakfast.

Communications are easy with a phone that allows for free local calls. The hotel also offers free wireless Internet service. As with any hotel, it can bog down a bit when the hotel is extremely busy, but is usually more than good enough for work or play. I did notice that many of the internet connections that I used in Guadalajara, including the hotel's, suffered from higher latency than I was used to in the US. As such, Guadalajara's a great place to work, email or Facebook, but don't expect to reliably get connections which will work well for network gaming.

The hotel's free breakfast includes toast, fruit and coffee. That's it. As a light eater, this was fine for me (especially given the high quality of Mexican fruit!). If you need more, be prepared to pay 60 pesos to upgrade to a full breakfast, including an omelette cooked-to-order. If you see the beef slices with the peppers in the thick red sauce, don't miss it.

The Hotel Suites Carolina... It ISN'T an American hotel. If you want an American hotel, there are a number just a few thousand feet to the north. However, if you want a comfortable and spotlessly clean room, freezingly cold A/C, and a beautiful setting that has the best of what Mexico has to offer, stay at the Suites Carolina.

Don't be surprised if you're the only American there--we were for a number of our nights. While there was always an English-speaking staffer available, you'll find that it caters to locals. However, this is a good thing. The service feels different with a much more genuine sense of hospitality. I didn't feel like the staff was trained to take good care of me -- I felt like they did it 1) because they wanted to and 2) because it came naturally to them. It was a wonderful feeling, and I left having made friends with members of their staff. Carlos (afternoons), Oswaldo (nights) and Gerardo (management) especially stand out as absolute winners.

When we return to GDL, we'll be staying at the Suites Carolina. I strongly recommend that you do the same!

One last note... I'll attach some of my not-so-great pictures, but the pictures on their site really are accurate. It's a very nice place!

Room Tip: Anywhere should be relatively quiet, but being set back a bit from the road will ensure that you don...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Solpo
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We decided to stay here at the very last minute. When I say last minute, I mean literally 12 hours before our arrival. We had a reservation at another hotel for a 2 bedroom suite w/kitchen, but was forced to cancel due to a few people in our party backing out of the entire trip. The remaining 3 of us were not planning on paying the $140 a night at THAT hotel. So we searched online and stumbled upon Hotel Suites Carolina. We were a bit hesitant at first because the pictures are rarely ever accurate. But at $70 a night for a King size bed, sofa bed, full kitchen, free parking, free wifi and free continental breakfast, why not right? Booked for 6 days and our total was $460 US dollars! The check in process went smooth even though the front desk clerk spoke very little english. We were then given our room keys and escorted to our room by the attendant. He even assisted with our luggage. Once we entered our room, we did a thorough viewing/inspection. Everything was EXACTLY as the pictures stated, if not better! We are EXTREMELY SATISFIED with Hotel Suites Carolina and will DEFINATELY stay here whenever we visit Guadalajara!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I ended up staying here on a trip to Guadalajara. The clinic arranged the reservation for me. My room was spacious. Pergo floor in bedroom, large bed, flat screen tv with american channels, desk, coffee maker, beautiful ceramic and marble tile in the bathroom. The shower was awesome - great water pressure and ample hot water. Large bath sheet/ towels with monogram. Free continental breakfast, but the warm foods are extra. Relaxing music in the lobby. Several staff speak English very well. Quiet, and has good security. Close to the clinics. They will order food and have it delivered to the room. Only requests: use fabric softener, get an alarm clock, and provide coffee daily.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business