See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 7, 2005

I have stayed there many times and never had a bad experience. Good price, great people, and great central location. I suggest asking for an inside room, away from the street, if you want quiet, as GDL is very lively. The restaurant is good also: try the "green juice(jugo verde)" I hope you like this hotel as much as I do!

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank RichardDenver2014
Reviewed October 6, 2005

We just returned from a lovely visit to Guadalajara - lovely because we chose to leave the Cervantes after the first night there!!!

While the staff was nice enough, the rooms were not clean. Sheets on the bed had not been changed, bathroom fans were so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think (they turn on automatically with the bathroom light). The bathrooms themselves were dark and musty with hints of mildew in the shower and sink.

We requested non-smoking rooms due to allergies and were instead given rooms with ashtrays. After a few minutes, it was clear that we were given smoking rooms. After requesting new "non-smoking" rooms, we were moved - to another room that smelled of smoke. This was not due to communication barriers but rather to a staff that just didn't seem to care much about their guests.

My husband, who is from Guadalajara was also not thrilled with the location of the hotel - he felt it was not safe for us to be walking around in after dark, especially with a toddler.

Worst of all was the smell. The entire hotel smelled of sour mold mixed with cigarettes. We all woke up congested as if we had spent the night in a smokey bar! We left that next day to the Mendoza which was SO MUCH better in every way. I have to admit that I am disappointed in Cervantes, especially after reading such great reviews of the location on this website. I will never go to the Cervantes again.

• Stayed: September 2005
17  Thank missgabs
Reviewed September 2, 2005

My son was married in Guadalajara at the end of August. 22 of us travelling to the wedding stayed at Hotel Cervantes. We could not be more pleased with our stay. The Hotel is well located - an easy walk to the "centro'" historical area; exceptionally clean and comfortable; pleasant "newish" well kept facility; extremely hospitable staff. Good food, decent pool, quiet (if you arrange for an inside room). 450 - 650 pesos a night depending on the room - cheap! We could not have picked a better destination.

The hotel also connected us with Raul Negrete - who provided us with transportation, tours, translators and advice. Raul proved to be a highly professional, knowledgeable and charming host who added immensely to everyone's enjoyment of the city and our celebration.

You pretty much have to reserve by telephone at this hotel since fax and web access is an issue. Altogether a great hotel in a great city!

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank Prigweed
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Hotel Cervantes is in downtown Guadalajara, within walking distance of more than four beautiful plazas. You will see old stone churches and fountains. The locals sit on benches, feed the birds and watch the world go by. There are internet cafes, bookstores, and great restaurants. A terrific bakery is less than a block away and a wonderful bookstore. You can take yoga, kickboxing or pilates classes across the street. You can always find an information booth at one of the plazas in case you wonder what else there is to do. It is easy to get a taxi or bus if you want to explore other parts of the city.

The hotel itself is reasonably priced and spotlessly clean. There is swimming pool on piso 2. I was impressed with the granite looking tiles and countertops. The beds are very comfortable! The only negative is that the street in front of the hotel is noisy, cars and horns honking, so ask for a room away from the street when you make reservations. I would stay there again!

15  Thank bmjgood
Reviewed August 8, 2005

We stayed at Hotel Cervantes for 16 days in July and August 2005. Centrally located, it is within walking distance of the Cathedral, Palacio Gobierno, Templo de San Francisco, and major bus routes.

The hotel was attractive and super clean, quiet (though I can see how it might be noisy in an outside room), service was excellent, and the staff was friendly and had a good knowledge of the city. A double room was 730 pesos (about 70 USD). Additionally, the restaurant downstairs is very good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: July 2005