See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 8, 2007

I stayed here for 5 months while studying Spanish at a local language school. The room was comfortable and very clean (needed a lick of paint) and the staff were charming. The food in the restaurant was excellent. Ok, it lacks colonial charm but is half the price of other 4-star hotels in the centro and the rooms are twice the size. I went out late at night and experienced nothing worse than non-aggressive pan-handlers. The local scene is colourful - but non-threatening. I recommend the local Bar Scratch for lovers of 60s and 70s music. All in all, a good hotel to use as a base for exploring the many delights of Guadalajara.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I spent two nights at Hotel Cervantes in November 2007. This five-storey hotel is totally uncharming and unattractive, with the look of a place for business travelers with tight budget constraints. Almost everything in the hotel looks faded, worn out and in the need of remodeling: carpets, walls, tiles, linens, with very few exceptions I have hard time to recollect. If you don't mind the rundown atmosphere, rooms are pretty much ok; mine had enough space, large window, firm bed and cable TV. I only had issue with random hot water when showering, quite annoying indeed. Breakfast was not included in the rate and was available for surcharge. Service at the reception desk varied depending on the staff on duty; not all staff spoke English, Alejandro was the best bet in term of English language skills and effectiveness.

The hotel is on the city center. If you are looking for a place in this location you likely know by now the area turns a little shabby at night, when it is better not to walk around alone. During the day hours - I have been told by both the hotel staff and taxi drivers - the area is generally safe and indeed so felt I walking. If it bothers you, you should know that late at night transvestites start their working shifts in the area, and you might be welcomed, as I was one night, on the hotel doorway by some of the folks offering their services.

I am not peaky when solo-traveling and I did not look for other places during my stay, but I am afraid I would not stay in this hotel if back in town and would rather pay some more dollars for a better place.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We selected this hotel based on the reviews. We were not disappointed and the location was excellent for our purposes. Walking distance to all attractions. Some desk staff more hepful than others. Would definitely recommend or go again. Three things: no hair dryer; bring your own alarm. There wasn't an alarm in the room, and although our wake up calls came every day, it didn't for our 4:00 am departure. Luckily we had a backup. Also we were told at the desk that it was not safe to walk around in the evening. We found that it is safe to walk up to about 10pm while buses are running, but definitely do not walk past that time.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank margaritab710
Reviewed September 6, 2007

After living in Guadalajara 3 months, we needed a place to stay for a few days before leaving Mexico. We could not have picked a nicer hotel.

Located in the historic district, it is close to pretty much everything: One block East is the best bakery I have experienced in a long time (La Petita Polola); another block East (and two North) is the main downtown and Cathederal.

Inside, the hotel is immaculately clean.

We booked a king-bed room and were incredibly impressed by the size of the room, and how comfortable the bed was.

Only a couple of grumbles, but nothing that would stop me from staying there again: Internet in the lobby only and the rooms have very few two-pronged power outlets (the 3-prong one was located in the bathroom).

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tommytyker
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I have stayed at the Cervantes three times and plan to do so again next month. It has everything: location (in "el centro"), comfort, cleanliness, friendliness of staff, rooftop pool, value for the price. It was originally recommended to me by a taxi driver when the hotel I had booked was not acceptable and more expensive. I now call them directly for a reservation without any problems. I prefer the rooms that look onto the patio, rather than the street, as they are quieter in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled solo