“Be cautious when visiting this idyllic place”

Romantic Lake Chapala
Ranked #11 of 172 things to do in Guadalajara
Peachtree City, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Be cautious when visiting this idyllic place”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been visiting my mother in Lake Chapala for over 30 years. She has a beautiful home that over looks the lake in a community where a lot of Americans live. This is her home and I am glad that she is happy here. I was just down visiting and had a very scary experience.

The police park their large truck along side the road and have semi-automatic guns in their hands. They stop all cars with foreign plates and demand a payment (bribe) or they will arrest you. Usually 5000 pesos. We were driving mom's car with Jalisco tags so we were not stopped. But later in the day my stepfather was stopped (who is Mexican, by the way with Jalisco tags, too) He wasn't wearing a seat belt and the police said they would write him a ticket if he didn't pay up. He said write a ticket. They let him go after a breathalyser test showed nothing.

I read recently in USA today paper about the killings taking place in this area of Mexico and it didn't really faze me until I heard the Mexican Cartel was hanging out there because it is such an idyllic place.

As I said earlier I have been going down to Chapala for 30 years. I have met the warm hearted friends that my mother has had, met the locals who are just wonderful and are caring individuals. Now that my mother is dieing, will I ever want to go back when she is gone? No.

Visited April 2013
10 Thank DLGal1

• Korean first
Port Alberni
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Tour review.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Chappalla is a pretty typical Mexican town with lots of American influence.Tour guide was quick to point out the difference between foreigners homes and locals.But also made sure to tell us that if not for the foreigners it would be a pretty poor existence for most.tour guide did a good job of answering all my flora questions.The guide spoke good English.

Visited March 2013
Guadalajara, Mexico
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Pretty- large lake in a quiet community.”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

If coming to GDL, it is a must to see. But it is changing all of the time. It is a long trip to have lunch and look at it for an hour.

Visited October 2012
Ajijic, Mexico
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fascinating Lake Chapala”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Since I moved to Lake Chapala from a very scenic location in the United States, it makes sense for me to love the place. Having put my residency cards on the table, let me talk more about the area. The Ajijic area, my personal favorite area on Lake Chapala, has many fine restaurants, entertainment and lovely views from many places. As I like to say: "It is a little piece of paradise."

Visited February 2013
2 Thank pnewbold7
Seattle
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Really lovely”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a great setting for a day trip from Guadalajara. I especially enjoyed the San Francisco de Asis church very near the water in the town of Chapala. Along with our lunch on the shore of the lake in Jocotepec.

Visited February 2013