“Beautiful Facilities; Disappointing Staff”

Hotel Riu Plaza Guadalajara
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Beautiful Facilities; Disappointing Staff”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I usually stay at a different hotel when I stay in Guadalajara; 3 trips since February. The facilities at my previous hotel are a little outdated, so at the suggestion of a friend, I moved half-way through my 3 week trip to the Riu. As I expected based on the room rates, the facilities were absolutely stunning - complete with modern decor, vibrant colors and clean facilities. The bathrooms were impressive; the views spectacular! The only thing to be desired with regard to the facilities is the beds. They were not particularly comfortable, and although I was able to sleep on them, I expect more from hotels in this price range.

The staff was extremely disappointing. With one exception, the front desk staff was simply adequate - not friendly, accommodating or impressive in any way; the valet attendants were sometimes rude to my friend who was arriving to pick me up; the room attendants threw away things that were not trash (including a very expensive bar of prescription soap); the staff in one only restaurant option were not friendly; and the bartenders/waitstaff at the pool could hardly be bothered. I was very disappointed in the service at this hotel.

Finally, on my day of checkout, I called what I guessed to be the front desk (the phones are not clearly labeled); was greeted with a Spanish greeting, and when I asked for someone to come help with my bags, I was transferred with no comment. The second person to answer the phone did not understand my request for assistance and placed me on hold for 10 minutes. I finally hung up and managed to get my own bags to the lobby. I wouldn't typically mind this, but I was overloaded from a fair amount of shopping on this particular trip.

Because service is so important to me, I will choose a different hotel on my next trip.

Room Tip: Higher floors have beautiful views of the city.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
san antonio, tx
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The beds at this hotel are horrible.

in addition, We've tried to order room service but since we didn't leave a credit card boucher open at check in the only way of payment was with mexican pesos. The room service people told us that they would not accept dollars or credit card payment! this is ridiculous! the only way to pay with a credit card would be to go to the reception and open a boucher, which definetely defeats the purpose of ordering room service. Weve tried calling the reception and giving our credit card over the phone and they didnt accept it.

Spanish hotel chains are usually really good in custumer service. Ive stayed at melias and they are really good. This is my first and last time in this hotel. I would recommend the quinta real for your next trip to guadalajara. Dont waste your money at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank irish73sat
Mexico City
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I think this is the newest hotel in GDL. Awesome building, with terrific views from upper floors.
The staff was courteous.
They also have a perfect breakfast buffet with a lot of tasty options.
I would stay there without a doubt.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aguascalientes, Mexico
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Excellent business and tourism hotel. Great facilities, modern and comfortable. The function rooms are also well-equipped, luxurious and convenient. The pool area and bar are also nice and very pleasant. I will definitely return again.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor rooms to have magnificent views of the city.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Beautiful hotel in the heart of Guadalajara. Good service, great rooms. Nice restaurant for breakfast with lots of choices to choose. Beer bar just accross the street and local places to hang and have a beer.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carlos P
Atlanta
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Normally one has to wait in line to check in and check out of large Mexico hotels.Not at the RIU Plaza in Guadalajara. The front desk is staffed with professional bi-lingual staff that knw what they are doing. The 40 story hotel is beautiful and the rooms are great. It is nice that they have a deli if you only want a sandwich and soft drink or beer. The club floors include a stocked mini bar with water,sodas and beer at no charge. Their is a lounge for the club floor guests.I highly recommend this hotel.It is also nice that they have enough elevators to handle the 500+ rooms.

Room Tip: High Floor Club Room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dealmaker
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is farmost the best hotel I've stayed in Guadalajara. Close to alot of restaurants , some touristic sites and night life just around the corner. Breakfast had a large selection of fresh food from naturally squeesed orange juice to a gourmet mexican meal. Pool is very convenient. The gym location very clean, the Spa service very affordable and professional. Their Friendly staf made my stay a very pleasant one. Valet personnel are friendly and always ready to assit you. Front desk is fast and reliable. The bed are amazing, Loved the bathrooms, tremebdous space to come and enjoy a nice bath. The views from my room where just perfect. Realizing is the tallest building in the city made the stay even a more interesting one. Need advise... Stay here.. affordable and conveniente to everything. Wether is for business or a vacation, the Riu Plaza Guadalajara will be the place to stay. Will deffinitely recommend it and come again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends