“Excelent Hotel”

Hotel Riu Plaza Guadalajara
Ranked #9 of 131 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great hotel, accommodations and service. The breakfast is excellent, rooms are spacious and clean, everything you expect from a Riu. The only negative side is location, which is not the best. Each floor is a different color and rooms have a beautiful theme.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here while on a business trip. The lobby is gorgeous. The rooms are exceptional!
I had a King Bed Deluxe Room.
Set up like Euro style. Pocket doors, euro and u.s.standard plugs everywhere. Door Key/Card is used to power on room.
--Bathroom: Shower you could fit 8 people in. Double sink in the bathroom If there were two people you could share this bathroom with ease.
--Bed area: Beautiful flower painting above bed, lights make it look like it belongs in a museum. Bed was comfy for me but I like a little more firmness. (They did have the foam topper on the bed before I arrived, I didn't even ask for it)
--Mini Bar/Fridge: First items in the fridge were complimentary. Water/Soda/Beer. Nice little welcome gift.
--Desk/Work Area: PERFECT for working in your room. Ample work space and fairly comfy.
--Sitting Area: Didn't use but looked nice and matched the decor and style of the room.
--WiFi: worked great in my room never had a problem connecting
--Breakfast Buffet: Great! Huge! Lots of selection. They did have some "authentic" Mexican food on the buffet but most was "Americanized" which is okay because you can get a little of both. Service was great.
Overall this place gets a 10 out of 10 from me. I don't say this very often but everyone was very pleasant and helpful and the place was immaculately clean and well taken care of.

Room Tip: All rooms have a nice view, want to see the whole city ask for a higher room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DomVDB
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Hotel is basically located in the city's main streets, as another review stated, everybody in Guadalajara knows where the hotel is.
The staff was always friendly and ready to help in any way. The rooms are spacious and bathrooms are pristine! All details are taken care of in this hotel. I would definitely recommend this to the most demanding travelers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at RIU for almost three months (September -- November 2012). Breakfast is served in Decapolis which always provided 5-star service and food. Fruit and juice selections are the largest I have ever seen and made my mornings. The cooks are friendly and gladly customize orders. Wait staff is excellent as are the hostesses. The gourmet restaurant Chardonnay can be wonderful or standard. The specials were always good but the chef does not vary the menu. Service was friendly and professional. The pool bar is 5-star and provides good food, friendly staff, and great drinks. The lobby bar Dreams brings in live music on Fridays and Saturdays, has a big screen for games and has good service, friendly staff, and okay food. The manager goes out of his way to make a visit special. Housekeeping staff varies from excellent to mediocre, Service is not consistent but if you report it, service improves to 5-star. I initially stayed on the 40th floor in a room with two full beds which were more like American twin beds. The beds were uncomfortable and maid service and turn down service was spotty. I moved to the 34th floor to a room with a king bed for the duration of my stay. Maid service was much better. The minibar was kept well stocked with bottled water after I requested it (hint: just ask). The hotel has a members' area that offers free refreshments, snacks, and computer use which gets an A+ on the beverages and a B+ on the buffet food. Room service was not always consistent but the staff was friendly and the food was good. Pablo, in particular, went out of his way to make guests feel welcomed and cared for. Wifi was better on the 34th floor than the 40th. The spa provided nice services and the best haircut I have ever gotten at a hotel. I recommend the chocolate pedicure and deep tissue massage. The conceirge was always helpful. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a king bed room and get the minibar and breakfast inclusive package. Higher floors have great...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2012

While the lobby is beautifully decorated, this hotel needs to step it up if it wants to compete with other 4 star hotels. What surprised me the most was the hard bed and the cheap sheets they used. When you are competing with the Heavenly Bed at the Westin and the equally comfortable beds at Hilton and Intercontinental properties, not a smart move to try and save money on the bedding.

As I was checking out and leaving, and quite literally stepping out the door, I was asked if I needed help with my luggage. Mind you they didn't care as I was struggling with my bags across the lobby, but when they saw a tip walking out the door they half assed enthusiasm to see if it would work. It didn't.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel the last week of November 2012. I usually stay at the Hilton but there were no rooms available because of the FIL Book Fair. I was pleasantly surprised. They don’t have arrangements with airlines for miles on your stay. The decoration is modern. If you don’t know the city you can see the hotel from almost any part of the city. Beautiful views specially from the upper floors. The room is spacious enough, the bed is not as soft as the Hilton’s but I got a good sleep. The bathroom is big and clean. The shower is very roomy. Air conditioner works well and that is very important to me. WIFI is included as well as the breakfast, there are still some hotels charging for internet access. I would be staying in this hotel again. A very nice touch happened when I invited my parents for dinner at the Chardonnay Restaurant, my father and I were helping my mother when out of nowhere the bellboy brought a wheel chair. We didn’t request it but we needed one and he provided it. That was a nice touch of great service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JGNC
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our second stay at the RIU and we would gladly return. First, what we loved: The lobby is welcoming, colorful and whimsical and really sets the tone for the rest of the hotel. The rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated and have free Wi-Fi. We especially liked the oversized bathrooms with double sinks, spa-like shower, and separate toilet area. During both our stays everyone on the staff --reception, business center, housekeeping, buffet restaurant -- was attentive and friendly. One of the things we enjoyed the most is the huge buffet breakfast, which offers something for everyone, from fresh fruit to chiliquiles. Sit out on the patio if the weather is nice!

A few cons: While the hotel is centrally located, its location is not very pedestrian friendly. We walked to a few restaurants, but crossing the busy traffic circle in front of the hotel is not recommendable unless you're prepared to run. Take a taxi instead. Also, the fitness center is quite small and offers just a few pieces of cardio equipment and weight machines, but no free weights or exercise mats.

The first time we stayed here we booked through a travel site and got a room on the 5th floor, which had some noise issues: traffic and music from a nearby nightclub at night. This time we called the hotel directly to book using our newly acquired RIU Class membership card and got a room on the 33rd floor with amazing views and no noise issues. When we decided to leave a day earlier than scheduled, the hotel let us do this at no charge. The rate was about the same both times, so next time we will definitely book directly.

Tip: if you want to buy some water, snacks, etc., go to the OXXO convenience store on the west side of hotel. You won't have to cross the busy traffic circle, just a small side street.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple