“modern”

Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Northfield, Minnesota
“modern”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

this summer i went down to guarajara, mexico to visit family and my dad had a meeting in this hotel. i stayed here for 6 nights. me and my mom and dad stayed here my sisters stayed at one of my aunts house because they hate sleeping in hotels lol!!. I liked the hotel its new, modern, colorful :\. this hotel really good service and really good breakfast :). The rooms are clean, modern and purple:\. my was room was on the 8th floor and the hotel was 41 floors. i got a little dissapointed when my room was on the 8th floor but view was atually pretty good. only one thing i didnt like was i had to ride 3 elevators to get to my room. but it a good stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank oscar219

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Yes, I saw solid, good reviews before I booked the hotel, but the real reason for booking was that it is 42 stories in a city that seems to max out at around 12 stories. We drove into Guadalaraja, with a spotty map, but when we asked anyone (truly anyone) they knew the hotel and the streets to get there (my own version of contingency planning). We were as far away as Tonala and got very clear directions right to the hotel...amazing.
On top of that, the front desk service from Pedro was outstanding. The room wasn't quite ready so he brought us to the lounge and concierge to unwind for a short time before coming back to deliver our key.
The room was spacious with a king bed, a sitting area, plenty of room to walk around, a large bathroom and two floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city.
When I return to Guadalajara next year, I'll definitely be booking the Riu. Oh, and secured hotel parking...about $5 a day.

Room Tip: High floor...at least the 15th floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at the Riu Plaza for 3 nights for a conference. The value for money --at the conference rates -- was great. The hotel is new, with large rooms with fantastic views. Very clean and everything worked fine. Large bathrooms that you could play squash in... The violet color design was a bit new agey, but nice and crisp. Service at the desk was good, and the buffet breakfast, conference coffee breaks and meals were excellent. The two main complaints I would have are the elevators (few, small -- leading to long waits), and the reservation service: I had difficulty booking online using the conference code, and then had to follow up by phone. They put me on hold for a 1/2 hr (very costly to me since I was calling from Africa!), eventually promised that it was sorted out, .....but it wasn't, and I ended up with an extra room charged to me that I now have to get reversed. But it wouldn't stop me from going there again if I have the chance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I am very disappointed and surely a one time guest in this hotel. I have booked 5 nights of the Deluxe room at 1800 MXN - which surely is no bargain. The room itself is very nice indeed and nothing to complain about.
In case you like very modern lounge like places, this is for you. For me, this hotel is a cool hotel without charm. Moreover, for 1800 MXN I expect the breakfast to be included, rather than an extra of 190 MXN (sure, I am not the detailled reader...).
The service on the other hand is poor. I asked for a toothbrush set since by lugage was delayed. The promise to get one free of charge is all I got. I asked the hotel to give me an update about the suitcase and was promised to get a call back - guess what. The 5th night I wanted to cancel (I had one night away anyway) in order to be closer to the airport for leaving. They insisted on charging the cancellation fees - how poor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Fletscher
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is great for business or pleasure while in Guadalajara. The rooms are spacious, particularly the bathrooms, which have his and her sinks. Wi-fi worked great. The aesthetic is very contemporary throughout. There is a nice bar in the lobby that has entertainment on week nights. It was pretty lively and had a great atmosphere. There is also a restaurant in the lobby, which is on the pricer end, but the food is good enough if you do not want to walk / taxi / drive to a restaurant in the city. There is a small workout room which is adequate. The pool area is nice - very much in the style of a resort. The best thing about this place is the breakfast buffet....truly amazing! Each morning had different regional specialties, as well as the standard items you would expect such as fruits, muffins, scrambled eggs, etc... The service is outstanding from the people in the lobby to the restaurants. They seem genuinely proud to be working there and happy to help you. My only complaint is the lunch / mid-day buffet is only open 1 pm - 5 pm. It would be nice if it was open later as an alternative to the restaurant in the lobby.

There are several restaurants within walking distance, including an Italian restaurant (La Trattoria) and an Argentinian steak house just past that. Take a taxi to Santo Coyote if you want something with Mexican specialties, entertainment, and eclectic atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ead_angel
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a new hotel (it's been operating for a little over a year) with a very modern style. We were 2 couples staying there and both our rooms were very clean and nice.
We chose this hotel because of its location (in one of the main avenues of the city) and couldn't have been happier, it was really easy to get from there to lake Chapala, tlaquepaque and the different restaurants, malls and plazas we visited during our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I travel to GDL quite frequently and more often than not have customers in tow. The Riu opened last year and s a wonderful property for business travel. my customers are always very happy with the accomodations as am I.

Rooms are very clean and spacious. The bar is great and offers many tequilas which cannot be found here in The States. Cantrally located, there are many restaurants from which to choose as well.

Definitely my mainstay while in GDL.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business