“New and roomy”

Hotel Riu Plaza Guadalajara
Ranked #9 of 130 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at the Riu Plaza for 3 nights for a conference. The value for money --at the conference rates -- was great. The hotel is new, with large rooms with fantastic views. Very clean and everything worked fine. Large bathrooms that you could play squash in... The violet color design was a bit new agey, but nice and crisp. Service at the desk was good, and the buffet breakfast, conference coffee breaks and meals were excellent. The two main complaints I would have are the elevators (few, small -- leading to long waits), and the reservation service: I had difficulty booking online using the conference code, and then had to follow up by phone. They put me on hold for a 1/2 hr (very costly to me since I was calling from Africa!), eventually promised that it was sorted out, .....but it wasn't, and I ended up with an extra room charged to me that I now have to get reversed. But it wouldn't stop me from going there again if I have the chance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I am very disappointed and surely a one time guest in this hotel. I have booked 5 nights of the Deluxe room at 1800 MXN - which surely is no bargain. The room itself is very nice indeed and nothing to complain about.
In case you like very modern lounge like places, this is for you. For me, this hotel is a cool hotel without charm. Moreover, for 1800 MXN I expect the breakfast to be included, rather than an extra of 190 MXN (sure, I am not the detailled reader...).
The service on the other hand is poor. I asked for a toothbrush set since by lugage was delayed. The promise to get one free of charge is all I got. I asked the hotel to give me an update about the suitcase and was promised to get a call back - guess what. The 5th night I wanted to cancel (I had one night away anyway) in order to be closer to the airport for leaving. They insisted on charging the cancellation fees - how poor.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Fletscher
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is great for business or pleasure while in Guadalajara. The rooms are spacious, particularly the bathrooms, which have his and her sinks. Wi-fi worked great. The aesthetic is very contemporary throughout. There is a nice bar in the lobby that has entertainment on week nights. It was pretty lively and had a great atmosphere. There is also a restaurant in the lobby, which is on the pricer end, but the food is good enough if you do not want to walk / taxi / drive to a restaurant in the city. There is a small workout room which is adequate. The pool area is nice - very much in the style of a resort. The best thing about this place is the breakfast buffet....truly amazing! Each morning had different regional specialties, as well as the standard items you would expect such as fruits, muffins, scrambled eggs, etc... The service is outstanding from the people in the lobby to the restaurants. They seem genuinely proud to be working there and happy to help you. My only complaint is the lunch / mid-day buffet is only open 1 pm - 5 pm. It would be nice if it was open later as an alternative to the restaurant in the lobby.

There are several restaurants within walking distance, including an Italian restaurant (La Trattoria) and an Argentinian steak house just past that. Take a taxi to Santo Coyote if you want something with Mexican specialties, entertainment, and eclectic atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ead_angel
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a new hotel (it's been operating for a little over a year) with a very modern style. We were 2 couples staying there and both our rooms were very clean and nice.
We chose this hotel because of its location (in one of the main avenues of the city) and couldn't have been happier, it was really easy to get from there to lake Chapala, tlaquepaque and the different restaurants, malls and plazas we visited during our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I travel to GDL quite frequently and more often than not have customers in tow. The Riu opened last year and s a wonderful property for business travel. my customers are always very happy with the accomodations as am I.

Rooms are very clean and spacious. The bar is great and offers many tequilas which cannot be found here in The States. Cantrally located, there are many restaurants from which to choose as well.

Definitely my mainstay while in GDL.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The hotel had huge rooms and great bathroom and shower. Room could easily host a large family. The breakfast was excellent in the morning (healthy, large selection); workout facilities were basic but good. Great place to stay if you are in Guadalajara for a long stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2012

booked 4 nights for a buying trip we are on and have been very dissapointed so far
the coffee is so bad in the room that we have beed to starbucks everyday since we arrived
the room service was also bad w2e ordered sausage and got a hotdog instead
the front desk never took the time to explain that when you ride the elevators you have to insert your room key in a slot then press your fllor
we were on the elevator for more that 15 minutes before another client explained it to us
then once in your room we couldn't turn on the lights or tv
thats because the same key card goes into a lot and powers everything
the decor on each floor is a different color
who knows why but very odd and hurts the eyes
we are in the green floor with agave and cactus staring at us all night
the pool has nothing but kids peeing in it//not once while we were observing it did we see any 10-11- year old get out to use the bathroom
and when we paid the maid for the day she lied to us and said that she would be servicing the floor the entire week...we paid he yesterday and have not seen her since
this is very new to this area and the tallest building so far in guadalajara
hope fully the work from the employees and the staff grow that tall

Room Tip: stay in the back of the hotel if you wan to sleep they have a disco in front and you hear all the no...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business