“Not bad at all!”

Hotel Riu Plaza Guadalajara
Ranked #9 of 131 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times and find it one of the best in GDL for business for a reasonable price.

Breakfast is great, location is perfect. Check-in/out is always swift. Room service food is, well, ok.

Bed is comfortable - I find many in Mexico to be made of concrete (hard mattresses last longer, I'm told). Rooms are modern, big desk, but the color them (in general in this hotel) is... startling.

Wireless actually works, which can be problematic in many Mexican hotels.

The only oddities in this hotel are the elevators are swamped in the push times - too few for this many floors. Keyed access in the lifts is funny - if someone presses the button on your lit floor, it turns it off! This can cause an amusing fracas by inadvertantly shutting off people's stops on the long elevator rides.

The best kept secret is the pool area for a quiet evening and a snack. Don't tell anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Most of the officials at the 2011 Pan American Games were assigned to the brand new, 41-storey luxury hotel, and those that weren't were jealous. The rooms are well appointed and decorated in one of several colourful themes: orange, green, purple, red or brown. Many bathrooms have twin sinks and a large-head monsoon shower.

The buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner is endless -- just as well we officials are accustomed to making quick decisions, or we'd still be trying to decide. My favourite was the guacamole, and I'm still suffering withdrawal symptoms 3 weeks later.

The staff are numerous and highly attentative, (although they could have added more for the Games.) The gym is reasonably well equipped, and the poolside warm and welcoming.

One aspect I can't comment upon is the cost, as the officials were hosted by the organisers.

The only negative was spotty internet access; perhaps with so many people staying for the Games, the network became overloaded.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have fantastic views from their floor-to-ceiling windows, and the corner rooms are...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank yycyycyyc
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed here about three weeks prior to the Pan American Games. Obviously the hotel was in a hurry to get all of the kinks out in time for the onslaught of tourists, athletes and others to Guadalajara. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. As others have mentioned, the breakfast buffet is endless and quite a good deal for the price (included in our room rate). Loved the funky boutique feel that we haven't found in many other GDL hotels. Service may be a bit slower than Americans are used to but that's Mexico. Wireless, valet parking, lobby bar were all just fine and what you would expect for an international chain. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Back again for a sixth stay. Does not get better. I paid for an upgraded room, was put in a room that was dirty and occupied (whoops). Although the hotel is new, our new room had the pull yanked from the dresser, and someone had taken part of the drawer with it. I have always enjoyed the robes on earlier visits, this time they were missing. I called and reported their absence, was asked how many i would like and finally, after two hours just went commando, pleased to be on a high floor, as the robes did not arrive as promised. This time Internet did not work in the room, repeated attempts to remedy with various employees, but fail. They don't put a basic pen or pencil in the room, I guess they assume I own one, I assume they will provide one, they are correct, I am mistaken for the sixth time.
Okay, here is my problem, I really want to love this hotel, as a building it is great. As a good hotel it is lacking. The rooms manager should be replaced, along with housekeeping manager. The sad news is I will probably return for more abuse as I like the views from the rooms.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a higher floor room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fools4Food
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed here for 5 days in October 2011. A premium hotel at a premium price. The breakfast buffet is fabulous, and included with the room fee--this was the best part of the hotel. Wireless was good in the rooms and lobby. The neighborhood is good to walk around--about 1 mile to a large shopping mall; several great cheap family restaurants down the street. People were very friendly and most hotel staff spoke English. Is very visible from all over Guadalajara, which makes finding it while in a taxi easy. Was a 15-20 minute taxi ride to the historic center of town. Also about a 20 minute taxi ride to the shopping area ofTlaquepaque. Taxi's are very reasonable.

Room Tip: higher floors have great views across the city
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pat_and_AnnieO
Reviewed October 9, 2011

This was the first time I stayed at this hotel in Guadalajara. The hotel is brand new, very well planned, excellent rooms design and amenities in the room. The wifi in the rooms does not show any weakness at all.

The breakfast buffet is outstanding and has everything a guest would like to have and eat. Very clean buffet area, staff is on top of their game, and overall an outstanding options.

The elevators are very fast, which make the wait time very short. The hotel management mentioned that they go 1 second per floor. I timed them and they are right on the mark. Nice!!

Overall, my stay was outstanding!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have the same quality! None of them has a lower standard.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DEbener
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I am angry enough to give this hotel one star. Upon check in, the "free" minibar was empty. The coffee condiments (sugar, etc.) were missing. In the desk or next to the bed, there was no paper or pen. For me, no big deal, I take coffee black, and I don't really drink in the room, and I have a pen, plus the room was attractive. BUT, I came in from work today at 4:30pm and the room had not been serviced. I went to the front desk and asked for the manager. For me not cleaning the room was strike 3. My request to speak to the manager was denied. I told the lady at the desk that I was going to the gym for an hour and I would like the room cleaned. She said ir would be attended to. An hour and bit later I returned from the gym (which has decent cardio but only four weight machines, no dumbells... very, very basic) , and the room had not been serviced. I was on the phone with American Express Travel when the maid banged on the door. I asked why the room was not serviced and she accused me of having the do not disturb sign on the door which was an outrageous claim... and I was pretty steamed. I waited in the hall for her to clean the room lest I be accused of anything.

I have to say I travel extensively (100 days per year), and I am often in Mexico. I Guadalajara, stay at Quinta Real, the Guadalajara NH, the Fiesta Americana Country Club, the Hilton... they have work to do here learning to care about their customer.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you do, choose an upper floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business