“Great value and location in Guadalajara!”
Review of Laffayette Hotel

Laffayette Hotel
Ranked #109 of 129 Hotels in Guadalajara
Colima, Mexico
“Great value and location in Guadalajara!”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I was a little nervous after reading some of the previous reviews of Laffayette Hotel in Guadalajara, but the staff was tremendous! I took a red-eye from Seattle to GDL and arrived at 5:10 a.m. and took a taxi to the hotel, worried that check in is 1:00 p.m. and that they would try to charge me an additional night. No problem, I received my room at 6:00 .am. with no additional charges and I slept like a baby. The rooms are not soundproofed as well as newer constructed hotels, but what do you expect for $50.00 a night. llenty of restaurants nearby and a great spot to stay if you have business at the Consulate as I did. Also much of the staff had understandable English skills.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James Q

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I got this hotel from my lonely planet and wasn´t expecting a 5 star hotel (although it is one), but what we actually experienced was just too much!
First...the positive side...the location it really cool. There are lots of bars, restaurants and convenience stores around the hotel, even a starbucks.
When I arrived and saw the hotel I thought I was time traveling. Already from the outside it looked really old. Through the entrance the impression didn´t change much. Lots of mirrors and lots of gold. The people at the reception were nice. I could leave my luggage since I was to early to check in and they really gave me room on the upper floors (the lonely planet said you have a great view).
Check-in time: still time traveling and I am stuck in the 70s or something. Everything is really old. Well, normally it doesn´t bother me that much, because when I do city trip I only sleep in hotel and that´s it. But this just looked dirty, although I couldn´t see any actual dirt. The window shades were torn and ugly. The bath moldy and falling apart. But, thank god, the bed was ok. The ac wasn´t working, so they send us a technician.
Then came the hight: and that was the final kill for me. The walls were so thin I could here people breathing in the next room. It was terrible. We had some teenagers in the next room laughing and talking until 5 am.
We never had breakfast at the hotel. I took a look at the buffet (continental) and decided that the cute cafes around the hotel were a much better choice....and they were.
Well, we ended up moving to another hotel near the fair area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Faltboot

Travelers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Aguascalientes, Mexico
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stay there because is the closest place to get de VISA, but since first minute I had to wait around 30 minutes in line to get a room, there was just 1 person in the reception.

The rooms are old and the sheets, are even more old, the air contidion did not work, IT HAS NO INTERNET!!!! .

This hotel needs to have a refresh I wont recomend to get there!.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I'll be honest, this hotel is not the Mandarin Oriental, but it was a great place for us to stay. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, off street parking is free in their garage, and the price was great. The room and facility are in need of maintenance in general (broken chair, damage here or there,) but everything was clean and the shower was awesome. You can't beat the location for restaurants, shopping and nightlife. If you want to pay more in GDL you can, you can stay in a more fancy hotel. For me, I will choose the Laffayette for my next stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scout99Seattle_WA
Morelia, Mexico
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I looked for a medium priced hotel al Guadalajara and selected this one. Many years ago (more thn fifteen) it was my prefred choice at Guadalajara, but it grew older quicly and without grace. The neighborhood is still one of the coziest at Guadalajara but the hotel has a very poor maintenance, the so-called pool is a joke, the staff looks cheap and the sexual activity of my neighbors sounded as if they were at my bed, that by the way, was and felt terrible old. That was my last stay at this in other times remarkable hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank YV24122015
Région grenobloise
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I booked this hotel because I was told on the phone that I would have an Internet connection in my room. On arrival, I was told that Internet was available only in the lobby. But this was not the only bad surprise on arrival. The hotel staff hardly spoke English, sometimes even none at all and all communication throughout my stay was therefore extremely difficult. As I arrived after 11 PM, the bar was already closed, there was no mini bar in my room (which normally is standard in 4 star hotels) and so I had to leave the hotel and go to a supermarket to get something else as water to drink. When I wanted to call home, the staff was unable to tell me what code I need to dial for international calls. Next morning the negatives continued as my TV switched itself on at 7 AM, probably as some kind of wake up call that of course I hadn't ordered. Although I had Spanish speaking colleagues ask at reception to switch this wake up TV off, the next morning the TV woke me up again at the same time. Eventually, I had to pull the plug every evening to wake up at a time of my own choosing. I only tried the breakfast the first morning (poor quality, slow service, waiters wearing unclean clothes) and then preferred to have it somewhere else. The positive thing you can say is that the rooms and the lobby are clean, but you can clearly see that the owners are milking a cash cow here: metal surfaces are severely scratched, towels frequently are completely worn out on the edges, etc. If this hotel had been advertised as 2 star, I would have given a better evaluation, but rating it as 4 star is just a joke.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed December 4, 2008

I read the reviews on this site before I booked the hotel. I saw the review from Khelm dated September 2006 and thought that this was just an unhappy person but to my surprise Khelm had the rating right on the money

If you goal is to save a few pesos and if you don't care about your health or comfort this might be the place for you.

I travel the world for Business and have been in many hotels, 3 star, 4 star and 5 star and at best this is a 3 star hotel. I have no idea how this place could be rated as a 4 star.

There are many negative things I can tell you about this place starting with the Staff's bad attitude, fountain as a pool, lack of cleanliness, hard beds, poor internet, paint peel from walls, no chain locks on doors, mold on bath mat, nasty smell in room, dirty carpet and much more . Since khelm"s review in 2006, this place has only got worse. Needless to say, I check out and found a better place because I value my health and comfort. http://www.laffayette.com.mx/ The photos on thier web site are much better then in real life and must have been taken many years ago.

JLS

• Liked — !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)