“Good Hotel, Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Posada San Pablo

Posada San Pablo
Ranked #79 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Vancouver, Canada
“Good Hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

We booked a stay at the Posada San Pablo to do the ITTO TEFL course, so for about a month. We had no trouble finding the Posada (120 pesos taxi ride from the bus station), and it is indeed in a great location, about a 2 minute walk away from either ITTO or IMAC. But when we arrived, the staff couldn't seem to find our reservation, and it seems they had booked out our room, Oops. So they had to scramble to find another room, which after much paper flipping, they did. I don't know whose fault it was, the ITTO coordinator, or the Hotel. So for our first two nights we got a huge room with 3 beds and a big private bathroom. We had to walk up 2 long flights of stairs to get to it though, no elevator of course. We got the ITTO rate of 7320 pesos for 4 weeks for 2 people (~$580 USD). After 2 nights, we changed rooms to our intended room, which was a little smaller, but still very clean with 2 double beds.

The receptionsists don't really speak much english, so knowing a little spanish is helpful, a couple of them don't speak any english. For some reason, my ATM card had a 3000 peso limit, which was a little annoying, because they do prefer cash payment here. But they were not too worried, they said to pay part, then pay the rest when I had the remaining sum.

The hotel itself, while old, is quite clean, we only saw 2 lone cockroaches, once in the kitchen. In the bathroom areas, occasionally there was a smell of sewer, which was unrelated to the wastebaskets beside the toilet (you can't flush toilet paper in most mexican toilets). The shower had hot water only some of the time, but if there was hot water it didn't last for very long, maybe 5 minutes. So don't expect hot water. One morning, the shower ran out of water, in the middle of a shower with shampoo in my hair, the water just stopped altogether. None of the taps have hot water other than the shower. None of the rooms have heating, so when it rained almost nonstop for the first week we were here, the rooms were quite cold, though it was in January.

The kitchen facilities were quite nice, a decent sized fridge, though often full of old food that people hadn't thrown out. The beds are pretty comfortable, pillows surprisingly nice. The lighting in the rooms is pretty weak, often only one lightbulb. The WiFi is great when it works, but occasionally, it doesn't. The laundry facilities ... don't exist. They were supposed to have laundry facilities, but instead you have to have your laundry sent out, at 90 pesos a pop.

As for security, the front door is locked, the receptionist needs to buzz you in, if no one is at the front desk, you need to ring the doorbell, and the receptionist/manager will come and let you in. The first night of our course, the night manager was sound asleep, and someone showed up at 2 am, wanting to be let in. He rang the doorbell almost non stop for half an hour, while banging and pounding on the door, woke up the entire hotel, except for the night manager. So I don't know if he was a very very very heavy sleeper or what, but the rest of us (there was a few of us doing the ITTO course staying here) were very unhappy the next morning, as it was the first day of our classes. But at night, both sets of front doors are locked and only the manager has keys, meaning that until he woke up, this guy kept pounding on the door. And when the night manager finally woke up, he didn't even say anything to the guy after letting him in.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to people doing the ITTO course, because being close to the school is very very helpful. The people who did homestays regretted it because they spent 1-2 hours a day on the bus. We only had to walk 2 minutes, which meant we could walk home at lunch, and didn't get home too late at night. For the most part, the stay was pleasant, and the managers are nice, but I want to paint an accurate picture of what to expect. This is Mexico after all, not the US/Canada or Western Europe.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Global-Reporter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

This place is far more run down looking than in the photos. I don't know which room the person stayed in that said it looked newly renovated, but I looked at several rooms and saw lots of peeling paint and moldy walls. I arrived at 9am after a red-eye flight. It took me about 10 minutes to realize that I definitely picked the wrong hotel, but I needed to sleep so badly, I paid for one night just so I could try to sleep for a few hours. The place was so foul that I peeled back the sheets just to make sure that the mattress didn´t have bedbugs. And then just as I started to fall asleep, the jack hammer started. The first thing I did when I gave up trying to sleep was find another hotel to move to the next day. I should have moved that night so I wouldn´t have had to listen to the woman in the room next to me (above me? below me? I couldn´t actually tell) retching violently all night long. Thankfully, the neighbor´s barking dog helped to drown out the sounds. And then there were the smells...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank me_voy

Travelers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2009

I stayed here my first few days in country, and the last few, which were during Santa Semana when Guadalajara has parades and festivities,

The hotel is very clean and bright, and has obviously been remodeled--the kitchen is new, with laminate countertops, a big new refri and glass-top table, gas range and oven, microwave, and pots/pans/utensils & dishes to cook for a small family. Guests are expected to please clean-up after using the kitchen, and try to provide your own dish soap, etc. Cold beverages for sale in lobby. I stayed on ground floor by the door to the guest courtyard, and it was mostly clean, quiet, and generally fine with private bath, oscilating fan, TV with remote control, telephone, dresser w/drawers. Less expensive rooms with shared bathroom are available. Sometimes travelers and students hang out in the courtyard after dark--lots of students in the TOEFL school stay here .

The lobby, has a strong wireless internet signal (bandwidth is low, but email and a little web browsing are doable), and lobby furniture is comfortable, Several guest rooms open onto lobby. Laundry service is available but they let me scrub out my own clothes in the stone laundry basin (look for it in the kitchen courtyard) since the lavandera had the holiday off. Sun dry yer clean laundry on roof clothesline. On-street parking was available when I was there, possibly because some local streets were closed and traffic went elsewhere. The sidewalk and street (and water mains and sewer) were under construction outside the hotel (and all over town) in early 2009. All told I thought this hotel was just fine, a good value, and the staff exceptionally hospitable. Speaking Spanish is the norm at the front desk.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank nbedinger
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

This place was a welcome surprise for me. Location is good, about a 15 minute walk to the main cathedral - mixed use, fairly decent neighborhood. Great little bakery about 2 blocks away. The staff is very quiet (no english for the most part) but nice to deal with.
My room was on the second level, across from the roof/courtyard. Room was very big! with two double beds, color TV, nice sized bathroom, dresser, closet, etc.
To be honest, my budget is very tight on my trips. This place had a great price (350 pesos?..maybe less) and for the money this place was GREAT. I highly reccommend.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank bartolino
Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

The hostel seemed newly renovated, with good taste and very cozy.
Kitchen for guests with a big fridge and tools to cook your own Mexican delicacies, and friendly service. I'm glad it was in the lonely planet guide, otherwise we would have ended up almost next door, in the crappy-looking hostel the taxi driver wanted to recommend us.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank JAUI
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

I stayed at the Posada San Pablo for 6 weeks! During the 6 weeks I was attending ITTO to earn my TEFL certificate and attended IMAC for some Spanish classes. The convenient part was that both ITTO and IMAC were less than 2 blocks away from the posada. However, there are a few complaints and warnings I have for others who want to stay at the Posada San Pablo.

1) When told that I would have a shared bathroom, I never thought that it would be a shared bathroom with 10 other bedrooms. The bathroom toilet leaked and had difficulty flushing. The shower was fortunately warm, but had low water pressure and squirted everywhere. There were several mornings that I walked in to the bathroom to find the floor flooded with water. Also, the hotel only provides you with 1 roll of Toilet paper. Neither toilet paper nor soap is provided in the bathroom for the guests.
2) The kitchen provided for long-term guests is barely workable. No soap, towels, nor washcloths are provided by the posada. There are very minimal utensils and cookware. Also, each night the kitchen is locked at 10pm and the small sized refrigerator is unplugged. Therefore, food becomes spoiled very easily.
3) All guests must ring a bell to be BOTH let in and out of the posada. All guests are required to return to the posada by 11pm every Sunday. Staying at the posada and having a curfew made me feel as though I was a captive to the posada.
4) The Posada San Pablo is in the center of the “red light” and “Gay” section of the city. This didn’t really bother me, but may cause discomfort to others. It was not uncommon to see prostitutes outside of the posada once the sun went down.
5) When it comes time to check out of the posada, extra charges are added to your bill. For example, I had an extra 100 pesos charge added to my bill supposedly because I put a dent in the kitchen table. I did not put the dent in the table, the table was not worth 100 pesos, and there was no merit to the charge. After a good 30 minute discussion, the manager calling me irresponsible, and me crying I ended up not paying the extra 100 pesos.
6) Be weary when you are told there is laundry service offered by the posada. You are charged 70 pesos PER load which only includes washing and hang drying the clothes. Fortunately, there is a lavanderia (Laundromat) within walking distance to the posada. At the lavaderia it only costs 22 pesos per load with includes your clothes being dried in a dryer.

My recommendation for any person traveling to Guadalajara, Mexico for the ITTO/IMAC program is that you stay at the Casa Villasanta which is located about 6 blocks from ITTO/IMAC in the opposite direction of the Posada San Pablo. For a little bit more money the Casa Villasanta offers a bathroom in EACH room, no curfew, a key to get in and out, a fully equipped kitchen, a common sitting area with a TV, a laundry facility, a flat screen TV in EACH room, and a computer for the guests to use. I would NOT recommend the Posada San Pablo.

• Liked — The close proximity to where I needed to be each day.
  • Disliked — The kitchen, bathroom, and management staff.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank spaceyg02
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2007

This place was convenient to the language school I was attending; that is all I could say about it. The beds are full of FLEAS. My three colleagues and I were forced to sleep on top of the beds to cut down on the bites. The manager said they were mosquito bites, but side by side the two types of bite look very different.

The kitchen for the use of long term guests is a joke. The only equipment there is what has been left by other residents when they left. For instance, there is only one spoon.The refrigerator is tiny, and is frequently disconnected to defrost it. There is no hot water in the kitchen, no sponge, no soap, but there is great insistance on residents keeping the area clean.

The rooms themselves are not very clean because the staff just moves the dirt around with a wet mop. No effort is made to actually clean the floors.

If you like large roaches, you will love this place.

If you don't pay for a private bath, you will have to share a bath with six or seven other rooms. You can wait over an hour to urinate on a busy day. The bath does not have a single hook to hang your towel or robe on (surely not a big expense) and there are no bath mats so the floor is a swamp after a few people have taken showers.

The management is, with one exception, sour and unaccommodating.

SKIP THIS ONE

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Fleas in the beds. I was eaten alive.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business