“Nice enough!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #76 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Seattle
“Nice enough!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2009

I stayed here my first few days in country, and the last few, which were during Santa Semana when Guadalajara has parades and festivities,

The hotel is very clean and bright, and has obviously been remodeled--the kitchen is new, with laminate countertops, a big new refri and glass-top table, gas range and oven, microwave, and pots/pans/utensils & dishes to cook for a small family. Guests are expected to please clean-up after using the kitchen, and try to provide your own dish soap, etc. Cold beverages for sale in lobby. I stayed on ground floor by the door to the guest courtyard, and it was mostly clean, quiet, and generally fine with private bath, oscilating fan, TV with remote control, telephone, dresser w/drawers. Less expensive rooms with shared bathroom are available. Sometimes travelers and students hang out in the courtyard after dark--lots of students in the TOEFL school stay here .

The lobby, has a strong wireless internet signal (bandwidth is low, but email and a little web browsing are doable), and lobby furniture is comfortable, Several guest rooms open onto lobby. Laundry service is available but they let me scrub out my own clothes in the stone laundry basin (look for it in the kitchen courtyard) since the lavandera had the holiday off. Sun dry yer clean laundry on roof clothesline. On-street parking was available when I was there, possibly because some local streets were closed and traffic went elsewhere. The sidewalk and street (and water mains and sewer) were under construction outside the hotel (and all over town) in early 2009. All told I thought this hotel was just fine, a good value, and the staff exceptionally hospitable. Speaking Spanish is the norm at the front desk.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank nbedinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

This place was a welcome surprise for me. Location is good, about a 15 minute walk to the main cathedral - mixed use, fairly decent neighborhood. Great little bakery about 2 blocks away. The staff is very quiet (no english for the most part) but nice to deal with.
My room was on the second level, across from the roof/courtyard. Room was very big! with two double beds, color TV, nice sized bathroom, dresser, closet, etc.
To be honest, my budget is very tight on my trips. This place had a great price (350 pesos?..maybe less) and for the money this place was GREAT. I highly reccommend.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank bartolino
Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

The hostel seemed newly renovated, with good taste and very cozy.
Kitchen for guests with a big fridge and tools to cook your own Mexican delicacies, and friendly service. I'm glad it was in the lonely planet guide, otherwise we would have ended up almost next door, in the crappy-looking hostel the taxi driver wanted to recommend us.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank JAUI
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

I stayed at the Posada San Pablo for 6 weeks! During the 6 weeks I was attending ITTO to earn my TEFL certificate and attended IMAC for some Spanish classes. The convenient part was that both ITTO and IMAC were less than 2 blocks away from the posada. However, there are a few complaints and warnings I have for others who want to stay at the Posada San Pablo.

1) When told that I would have a shared bathroom, I never thought that it would be a shared bathroom with 10 other bedrooms. The bathroom toilet leaked and had difficulty flushing. The shower was fortunately warm, but had low water pressure and squirted everywhere. There were several mornings that I walked in to the bathroom to find the floor flooded with water. Also, the hotel only provides you with 1 roll of Toilet paper. Neither toilet paper nor soap is provided in the bathroom for the guests.
2) The kitchen provided for long-term guests is barely workable. No soap, towels, nor washcloths are provided by the posada. There are very minimal utensils and cookware. Also, each night the kitchen is locked at 10pm and the small sized refrigerator is unplugged. Therefore, food becomes spoiled very easily.
3) All guests must ring a bell to be BOTH let in and out of the posada. All guests are required to return to the posada by 11pm every Sunday. Staying at the posada and having a curfew made me feel as though I was a captive to the posada.
4) The Posada San Pablo is in the center of the “red light” and “Gay” section of the city. This didn’t really bother me, but may cause discomfort to others. It was not uncommon to see prostitutes outside of the posada once the sun went down.
5) When it comes time to check out of the posada, extra charges are added to your bill. For example, I had an extra 100 pesos charge added to my bill supposedly because I put a dent in the kitchen table. I did not put the dent in the table, the table was not worth 100 pesos, and there was no merit to the charge. After a good 30 minute discussion, the manager calling me irresponsible, and me crying I ended up not paying the extra 100 pesos.
6) Be weary when you are told there is laundry service offered by the posada. You are charged 70 pesos PER load which only includes washing and hang drying the clothes. Fortunately, there is a lavanderia (Laundromat) within walking distance to the posada. At the lavaderia it only costs 22 pesos per load with includes your clothes being dried in a dryer.

My recommendation for any person traveling to Guadalajara, Mexico for the ITTO/IMAC program is that you stay at the Casa Villasanta which is located about 6 blocks from ITTO/IMAC in the opposite direction of the Posada San Pablo. For a little bit more money the Casa Villasanta offers a bathroom in EACH room, no curfew, a key to get in and out, a fully equipped kitchen, a common sitting area with a TV, a laundry facility, a flat screen TV in EACH room, and a computer for the guests to use. I would NOT recommend the Posada San Pablo.

• Liked — The close proximity to where I needed to be each day.
  • Disliked — The kitchen, bathroom, and management staff.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank spaceyg02

Travelers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2007

This place was convenient to the language school I was attending; that is all I could say about it. The beds are full of FLEAS. My three colleagues and I were forced to sleep on top of the beds to cut down on the bites. The manager said they were mosquito bites, but side by side the two types of bite look very different.

The kitchen for the use of long term guests is a joke. The only equipment there is what has been left by other residents when they left. For instance, there is only one spoon.The refrigerator is tiny, and is frequently disconnected to defrost it. There is no hot water in the kitchen, no sponge, no soap, but there is great insistance on residents keeping the area clean.

The rooms themselves are not very clean because the staff just moves the dirt around with a wet mop. No effort is made to actually clean the floors.

If you like large roaches, you will love this place.

If you don't pay for a private bath, you will have to share a bath with six or seven other rooms. You can wait over an hour to urinate on a busy day. The bath does not have a single hook to hang your towel or robe on (surely not a big expense) and there are no bath mats so the floor is a swamp after a few people have taken showers.

The management is, with one exception, sour and unaccommodating.

SKIP THIS ONE

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Fleas in the beds. I was eaten alive.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Bagz-1
mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2007

Myself and my friend stayed at San Pablo for 6 weeks. The building is nice and so are the rooms but thats about all it has going for it.
The ladies that run the Posada are rude, unhelpfull and make you feel very unwelcome.
I know I sound like a hypocrite for saying this as I stayed for so long, but I was only staying here to be near my friend.
The most annoying thing about this place is the entry system. They dont give u a key to the front door so u have to ring everytime u leave or come. This can be very annoying and unsafe. I was followed one night by a gang and only just got inside in time after i had to wait over 2 minutes for them to let me in.
I would recommend paying a little extra and staying at the Hotel Cervantes which is around the corner and alot nicer.

• Liked — when i left
  • Disliked — the rude staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kingneal
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2006

I would only recommand this hostel to backpackers and still, I think their should be other ho(s)tels in Guadalajara proposing a nicer ambience and service. The Lonely Planet desciption as hostel-like is to my opinion not appropiate for this place. The staff could be a little friendlier

Another rather annoying thing was that you need to ring to come in and out(!) of the building. I imagine that this is a security measure but twice we had to wait a couple of minutes before we were allowed to go out.

• Liked — Big rooms
  • Disliked — atmosphere
  • Tips/Secrets — try another budget hotel