“avoid this place at all costs”
Review of Posada San Pablo

Posada San Pablo
Ranked #81 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
New York City, New York
“avoid this place at all costs”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This was a dar, dirty, dingy and NOISY place with a staff that was neither helpful nor pleasant. The street it is located on is one that is just plain unsafe after dark. It is a cruising area for all sorts of women and boys of the evening.

The street is horribly noisy. There is heavy truck and buss traffic all night and especially from 6 am to 11 am so if you want to sleep, this is not the place.

Room Tip: There is nothing to recommend about this place.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank GL1220

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Calgary
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We also had room 3 as had the previous reviewer and found it to be noisy with people coming and going and the doorbell ringing until late at night so that staff could go and let people in through the security door. The on-line reservations people were very helpful in getting us moved to room 6 for the following night and we had a much better sleep. The rooms are spacious, the ceilings high, but there are no places to hang one's clothes. However, we would stay here again as it is very economical

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aquamaureen
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed here for one week in Sept 2010 while attending IMAC language school. I would recommend this hotel for location, cleanliness, safety, and value. I was in room 3, right by the front desk, opening into the lobby. My room was very clean with shiney tile floor, two double beds of average comfort, a dresser, large color tv with remote, a wicker couch, vanity with mirror, and private bath including toilet, shower and sink. My hot water was fine. The only problem with the bathroom is the requirement to not flush any toilet paper down the toilet. That is a bit awkward for an American, but I complied. One other complaint of my particular room was that the only window opened into the lobby, not the exterior of the building, so the only breeze was from the fan they supplied.

The hotel has a large modern kitchen for guest use. I did not use it, but saw several people who did. The fridge is large and new, but was full of various old food. There is a nice bright clean comfortable lobby area, where I studied frequently. There is also an outdoor patio where some people socialized and smoked. You can hand wash your laundry for free in their laundry sink and hang it to dry in a courtyard, or have it sent out for about 70 pesos. There is free wi-fi for the guests.

The rooms near the front of the hotel had a lot of street noise, and the rooms near the back had a loud barking neighbor dog. The rooms that open into the lobby are subject to the ringing front door bell, and the conversations and tv of the front desk area. I would not classify this as a quiet hotel, but I didn't really mind.

It is true that the front door has to be buzzed open by staff for you to enter or leave the premises, but I did not mind this. It made me feel more secure.

The staff is friendly and helpful, but they speak very little English. The hotel is run on pesos, so I would have cash pesos available to pay with. If you pay with dollars, you will get a poor exchange rate.

Most of the clients were foreign students at the nearby IMAC language school, or it's sister ITTO school for learning to teach English. There were also a few Mexican business and vacation travelers.

The best part of this school is the location. It is located in the historic colonial El Centro, with all the attractions within a few blocks. For that reason, plus cleanliness, safety, and value, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank shari253
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Stayed here for one night in room 6 (2 double beds). Room was massive, atleast double the normal size hotel room. Cost 370p as had private bathroom, which was also quite large. Only problem was that the bathroom didnt have any hot water at all. Shower at night and in the morning were freezing. Also very very noisy in the morning from hotel cleaners. Location is great, try the bakery down the road 'Danes' as its awesome.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We booked a stay at the Posada San Pablo to do the ITTO TEFL course, so for about a month. We had no trouble finding the Posada (120 pesos taxi ride from the bus station), and it is indeed in a great location, about a 2 minute walk away from either ITTO or IMAC. But when we arrived, the staff couldn't seem to find our reservation, and it seems they had booked out our room, Oops. So they had to scramble to find another room, which after much paper flipping, they did. I don't know whose fault it was, the ITTO coordinator, or the Hotel. So for our first two nights we got a huge room with 3 beds and a big private bathroom. We had to walk up 2 long flights of stairs to get to it though, no elevator of course. We got the ITTO rate of 7320 pesos for 4 weeks for 2 people (~$580 USD). After 2 nights, we changed rooms to our intended room, which was a little smaller, but still very clean with 2 double beds.

The receptionsists don't really speak much english, so knowing a little spanish is helpful, a couple of them don't speak any english. For some reason, my ATM card had a 3000 peso limit, which was a little annoying, because they do prefer cash payment here. But they were not too worried, they said to pay part, then pay the rest when I had the remaining sum.

The hotel itself, while old, is quite clean, we only saw 2 lone cockroaches, once in the kitchen. In the bathroom areas, occasionally there was a smell of sewer, which was unrelated to the wastebaskets beside the toilet (you can't flush toilet paper in most mexican toilets). The shower had hot water only some of the time, but if there was hot water it didn't last for very long, maybe 5 minutes. So don't expect hot water. One morning, the shower ran out of water, in the middle of a shower with shampoo in my hair, the water just stopped altogether. None of the taps have hot water other than the shower. None of the rooms have heating, so when it rained almost nonstop for the first week we were here, the rooms were quite cold, though it was in January.

The kitchen facilities were quite nice, a decent sized fridge, though often full of old food that people hadn't thrown out. The beds are pretty comfortable, pillows surprisingly nice. The lighting in the rooms is pretty weak, often only one lightbulb. The WiFi is great when it works, but occasionally, it doesn't. The laundry facilities ... don't exist. They were supposed to have laundry facilities, but instead you have to have your laundry sent out, at 90 pesos a pop.

As for security, the front door is locked, the receptionist needs to buzz you in, if no one is at the front desk, you need to ring the doorbell, and the receptionist/manager will come and let you in. The first night of our course, the night manager was sound asleep, and someone showed up at 2 am, wanting to be let in. He rang the doorbell almost non stop for half an hour, while banging and pounding on the door, woke up the entire hotel, except for the night manager. So I don't know if he was a very very very heavy sleeper or what, but the rest of us (there was a few of us doing the ITTO course staying here) were very unhappy the next morning, as it was the first day of our classes. But at night, both sets of front doors are locked and only the manager has keys, meaning that until he woke up, this guy kept pounding on the door. And when the night manager finally woke up, he didn't even say anything to the guy after letting him in.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to people doing the ITTO course, because being close to the school is very very helpful. The people who did homestays regretted it because they spent 1-2 hours a day on the bus. We only had to walk 2 minutes, which meant we could walk home at lunch, and didn't get home too late at night. For the most part, the stay was pleasant, and the managers are nice, but I want to paint an accurate picture of what to expect. This is Mexico after all, not the US/Canada or Western Europe.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Global-Reporter
Oakland, California
Reviewed January 31, 2010

This place is far more run down looking than in the photos. I don't know which room the person stayed in that said it looked newly renovated, but I looked at several rooms and saw lots of peeling paint and moldy walls. I arrived at 9am after a red-eye flight. It took me about 10 minutes to realize that I definitely picked the wrong hotel, but I needed to sleep so badly, I paid for one night just so I could try to sleep for a few hours. The place was so foul that I peeled back the sheets just to make sure that the mattress didn´t have bedbugs. And then just as I started to fall asleep, the jack hammer started. The first thing I did when I gave up trying to sleep was find another hotel to move to the next day. I should have moved that night so I wouldn´t have had to listen to the woman in the room next to me (above me? below me? I couldn´t actually tell) retching violently all night long. Thankfully, the neighbor´s barking dog helped to drown out the sounds. And then there were the smells...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank me_voy
Seattle
Reviewed November 26, 2009

I stayed here my first few days in country, and the last few, which were during Santa Semana when Guadalajara has parades and festivities,

The hotel is very clean and bright, and has obviously been remodeled--the kitchen is new, with laminate countertops, a big new refri and glass-top table, gas range and oven, microwave, and pots/pans/utensils & dishes to cook for a small family. Guests are expected to please clean-up after using the kitchen, and try to provide your own dish soap, etc. Cold beverages for sale in lobby. I stayed on ground floor by the door to the guest courtyard, and it was mostly clean, quiet, and generally fine with private bath, oscilating fan, TV with remote control, telephone, dresser w/drawers. Less expensive rooms with shared bathroom are available. Sometimes travelers and students hang out in the courtyard after dark--lots of students in the TOEFL school stay here .

The lobby, has a strong wireless internet signal (bandwidth is low, but email and a little web browsing are doable), and lobby furniture is comfortable, Several guest rooms open onto lobby. Laundry service is available but they let me scrub out my own clothes in the stone laundry basin (look for it in the kitchen courtyard) since the lavandera had the holiday off. Sun dry yer clean laundry on roof clothesline. On-street parking was available when I was there, possibly because some local streets were closed and traffic went elsewhere. The sidewalk and street (and water mains and sewer) were under construction outside the hotel (and all over town) in early 2009. All told I thought this hotel was just fine, a good value, and the staff exceptionally hospitable. Speaking Spanish is the norm at the front desk.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo