“Portobelo Hotel in Guadalajara”
Review of Portobelo Hotel

Portobelo Hotel
Ranked #21 of 131 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We just spent one night here this past weekend with friends who made the arrangements for the four of us at this hotel.

We were hugley impressed and the price was more than affordable, the hotel is brand new, clean and the staff all most efficient and helpful. Very delichous buffett breakfast with eggs the way you prefer and perfect!

I asked at reception if they could tell me where the Christmas tree decorations were bought, they were gift boxes made in a sheer fabric on wire frames and lit from inside, amazing. They tried to contact the local store but had no reply to their phone call.

We walked into the main historic centre twice, had lunch, back in the evening to see Christmas lights and the ice rink they were preparing...it was all perfect.
We intend to go again and have already referred several friends for future trips.

We will research and find 'nicer' restaurants nearby for a pleasant dinner....this time we had not thought ahead and the staff could not recommend any.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the parking area were very quiet....
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank galeanna

Reviewed November 24, 2012

It was around 10 pm when I arrived at the hotel. The lady who was at the front desk, asked me rudely if I had a reservation I answered her yes. She looked in her computer, checked a few papers for 10 minutes then she gave me the key of my room.

She told me the room was located on the second floor...at that was it. She did not even take me to the room she just handed me the key nor even to mention the lackness of a welcome expression.
After walking around the second floor I found the room, which had one non-working light bulb. I called reception to let them know the light situation. I was told they will fix it the day after, but they didn't.

Overall, room was cleaned every day and the wifi speed was acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank lesteherr
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Inexpensive and beautiful and new...wow, what a combination. Add to that the central location in an excellent part of the city and you'll understand the "value" part. We've stayed here many times over the last two years since it opened and always enjoyed ourselves. The rooms are beautiful, excellent, comfortable beds, and very, very nice modern bathrooms, linens ... and the place is kept nice and clean. There is secure parking for your car under the building or in a secure lot just outside the back door. If you're concerned about safety, don't be. We walk all around this area at any time of the day or night without any problems. There are plenty of nice places to eat within a 15 minutes walk. You can be at the cathedral, opera house and other centro historical venues in a less than 15 minute walk. Enjoy... you'll come back here...we did.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the place. The windows are double glazed so no traffic noise. Draperies are line...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ManzanilloLou
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Great service, with cozy rooms. New hotel, close to everything.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank torilove73
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This hotel is well located for someone wanting a hotel in the Historic Center of Guadalajara. It is comfortable and in my opinion they have thought of everything to make a guest comfortable. Beds are great, bathrooms are just fine, large rooms with blackout drapes. Very good and secure parking is easy access with watchman on duty. The hotel is located at a very busy intersection and the walls are not soundproof, so if you have a noisy neighbor, it could be an issue. Value for price tops!

Room Tip: Suites run about $20. US extra
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2012

In my opinion, this hotel is average but nothing special. It is well located; you can walk to the historic center and there is an underground station just outside the hotel as well as cafes, internet cafes, bars and restaurants close by. The room was clean and spacious but you could easily hear the noises/voices through the walls. I did not find the staff too friendly (and this was not a question of language barrier as I speak Spanish). Yes, they answered my queries but rather reluctantly. The next time in Guadalajara, I will try and find something a bit more authentic than Portobelo.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Don't Leave anything of value inside your room, because in this hotel some of my personal values got STOLEN and if you ask for the hotel manager (for three whole days I tried to) they'll tell you he's not at work and they won't be held responsible because it says so in a crummy little cardboard by the hotel desk. PORTOBELO PERSONEL STEALS FROM YOUR ROOM.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family