“Nice Hotel with beautiful archetecture, Old rooms with needed upkeep”

Holiday Inn Guadalajara Expo
Ranked #58 of 130 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I travel to Guadalajara frequently for business and have stayed at this hotel a hand full of times. I like the outdoor pool and the general look of the hotel however the cleanliness of the rooms are sometimes lacking. On a few occasions I have seens mutiple spider nests in the corners of the room I was staying in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JKryvicky
CPgdl, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Guadalajara Expo, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Guest:

We really appreciate your valuable disposal to share the inconveniences that you lived during your recent stay at our hotel.

However, we appreciate the comments about the service and facilities in general of wich we are already taking action on this issue, corroborating with each department fulfill its responsabilities to give you the service you deserve.

We realize how important it is as our guests and your valuable comments.

Thanking you again for your understanding in an effort to always provide the level of service you deserve.

Joanna Chao
Concierge
Crowne Plaza Guadalajara

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I came to Guadalajara for a quick 2 night trip. Decided to stay in a hotel that I have never stayed in before. Big mistake. The hotel is very pretty and the grounds also, but if you want to sleep AT ALL, DON'T STAY HERE. Many of the rooms, I think the majority were on the first floor with the gardens in the center of the hotel and the streets outside of the rooms. Well...this led to either CONSTANT street noise, which wouldn't be so bad if that was the worst of it, but the workers worked outside of my room on the garden side and the street side until like 1:30 in the morning and again started at 4:30 in the morning. They were pushing carts here and there, which made very very loud rolling cart sounds the entire length of the gardens or breeze way, yelling at each other from across the gardens at 8:00 AM on a Saturday morning. Awful, horrible, and I will never ever ever be back. I did give it 2 stars only because, the staff was nice and the food that I tried was also very good...otherwise I would have given it a 1 star or less!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Robin M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Guadalajara Expo, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Robin M,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay.. We will certainly discuss your comments with our staff. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I arrived to the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Guadalajara on December 29th, 2012.
Upon my entrance to the Hotel's lobby, I noticed a young boy, alone, in the lobby loitering in close proximity to the porters (bell boys).
After I completed my check-in, I elevated to the 8th floor to my executive room with the porter whom handled my luggage.
After the porter left my room, within minutes, there was a knock on my door.
I opened my room door and standing in front of me was the young boy, a minor, whom appeared of of approximately 15-16 years of age.
I asked (in Spanish) the minor if he was a guest of the Hotel with his family.
He responded "No".
I then asked him what did he want from me?
He stated that "his 'client' did not arrive and thus, asked me if I liked him", to which I immediately said "no".
The minor attempted to kiss me on my cheek, to which I immediately stepped back, asked him to leave and immediately called the "Emergency" button from my room's telephone.
Ultimately, I was transferred to the Concierge's desk, explaining the situation and indicated that security had approximately 15 seconds left to place themselves in front of the elevator, if indeed the minor used the elevator to leave the property.
Note: The elevator duration to reach the executive floor is approximately 25-30 seconds.

Several other observations regarding the LACK of security at this Hotel:
Fact: There is no video camera inside the elevator, nor does one need a room key card to go to reach any of the guest floors.
Fact: There is no video camera at the elevator bank on the executive floor level.
Fact: There is, indeed, a protector door that was constructed on the executive floor (see photos uploaded) that once-upon-a-time, required persons in order to enter the hallway, insert their room key card, however, for the record, this mechanism on the executive floor was out of order for the duration of my stay, 4 days. Therefore, this protective door with this mechanism serves absolutely no purpose as it is broken and therefore, offers no security to their guests. Thus, is the reason as to how a non-guest, a minor, was able to enter the hallway of my room, whom sexually solicited themselves.
Fact: My "emergency" phone call that was made went unattended, as I was informed that security would immediately come to my room. After 1-hour of waiting, I telephoned again the "emergency" button from my room and spoke with the same agent and inquired the whereabouts of the promised security. Security did not come for a 1-hour +, only after my 2nd phone call. On a lighter note, it is a thankful thing I wasn't having a heart attack, otherwise I could have died and security would have never come. until my 2nd phone call was made.

Throughout my 4 day stay at this Hotel, each day I inquired the status of the investigation with various staff members at different hours of the day, all whom stated they had no knowledge of the occurrence regarding the minor whom entered on my floor, sexually soliciting themselves at my room door.
Finally, I demanded an answer on December 31st, I spoke with the accountant manager (supervisor on duty), Mr. Fernando Vasquez, whom made a formal appointment to speak with me on January 1st, 2013 at 11:00am.
At 1:30pm, 2.5 hours after my scheduled appointment, I received a telephone phone call to my room that Mr. Vasquez was not coming to work today and thus, he was canceling his appointment, which I state again, was 2.5 hours after the scheduled appointment.
I, on January 1st, certainly would have preferred to have slept in due to the holiday, however, as I being a professional, I made myself ready and available for the appointment.
Mr. Fernando Vasquez, however, did not. Too much Tequila the night before perhaps?
Lastly, very unprofessional that Mr. Vasquez did not call me himself to apologize, but instead made his colleague call me to inform me the appointment was canceled.

My original check-out date was for January 2nd, the following day, however after the "no show" appointment and absolutely zero attention was given to this very delicate matter regarding an underage prostitute whom referred to the Hotel as a hang out place for "clients", I immediately checked-out, which was a day early.
In my 4 days at this property, there was not one apology given from anyone at the Hotel or for that matter, no acknowledgement whatsoever.
For the record, in addition to alerting the hotel of this embarrassing event, I telephoned the InterContinental Group Corporate Office in the United States to inform them of this issue.
Furthermore, I having contacts with the Governor's office of the state of Jalisco, I also telephoned the administration and made them fully aware of this possible scandal at the Crowne Plaza in Guadalajara that was, and still is, being ignored by the Hotel staff.

Word of advice to anyone thinking of staying at this property:
Beyond their beautiful garden and pool, your safety ought to be everyone's #1 priority and unfortunately, you will NOT have this at the Crowne Plaza in Guadalajara.
The security is severely lacking to the point where I was not comfortable sleeping at night, as the Hotel never offered to change my room number.
After speaking with the Corporate Office in the United States regarding my claim, the only response that the Hotel has given is:
#1 (LIE): The Hotel offered to change my room number and I declined. I was never NEVER offered a room change and in fact, I requested one, which did not happen.
#2 (INSULTING): The Hotel replied that I was an "unwanted" future guest to their property and they would prefer that I do not return again.

Although my review has been written in only the "I" form, for the record, I arrived with my fiancée and therefore, as much as this Hotel wants to argue my factual statements, continue to ignore this delicate, potentially illegal scandal or prefer that I do not return to the Hotel, trust me, I will not return.
An absolute SHAME to the brand name of "Crowne Plaza Hotel" that occupies it's name that lies in Guadalajara.

Platinum InterContinental member
IHG Corporate Office case #: 34242556

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
58  Thank wak81
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Guadalajara Expo, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear wak81,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are very sorry for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Although the hotel had a good location for the purpose of my vist and a beautiful garden, all the rest was not the best in my experience in such type of hotel.
The rooms are very noisy, and I didn't like at all the bathrooms.
Although the breakfast was good and variate, the waiters were not very customer service oriented. I had to request several times, every time, a glass of water and the napkin.
The tables were always unprepared, either missing napkins or forks or knives, etc.
It was also hard to get myself understood as very few people in reception were speaking English.
Maybe my expectations were too high, but for me is clear that I would come again to this hotel only if I need to go to the same office I had business this time.

Room Tip: If you really have to stay here, then the rooms from tower-top levels- are better than the ones from...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank CrisabRomania
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel as part of the Intercontinental Group offers 50% discounts and that is a good deal.
Otherwise too expensive for small, but quality room, if you stay in the tower, with balcony, however noisy, but certainly better than garden view digs. It is a lifeless place from the days Donald Trump had a Mexican interior designer girl friend, good general service, but boring to hang out in the pool area, where "rules" apply, like you may not drink your beer from a glass, while it is served in a glass bottle, you guessed it, since a glass is made from glass, and....uh, so, okay, they actually dare to serve your glass bottle of beer with a styrofoam cup, now that makes sense, especially when lounging in a supposedly international class 4 star hotel, not to mention that the happy hour was the saddest hour of all, and only applies to the sleepy bar area, no happiness there and no happiness transferrable to the adjacent garden area, ... reglas, rules, that have made this place next to extinct. Wifi was good, parking in hotel grounds is charged extra, breakfast not included, hotel restaurant looks very uninviting more like a coffee shop, but there's a decent Argentinian restaurant across the street, that's about it. This hotel is probably a good place if you travel with kids, safe pool area with two mildly chatty guacamayos.

Room Tip: higher floors in tower have decent views and balconies, better than lifeless garden area rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
11  Thank Cineasta
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is my second time at the Crowne Plaza Guadalajara and I have seen this hotel change since I was a child. Being a Guadalajara Native, I have stayed at many hotels and this was the best pick for my trip. It is great for kids - the big pool, gardens and playground are perfect to give them some free time. This year we stayed in the tower and loved - it was quiet and well attended too. They seem to start the cleaning process at the tower, so our room was spotless by the time we came back from breakfast, always a plus! I would recommend staying at the tower vs. the "garden" rooms. Last year we stayed on the first floor close to the pool and it was very noisy. Early in the morning you can hear the staff sweeping and cleaning the pool and then at night you might get some loud guests who hang out at the pool.
Also on the upside for business travellers is that it is close to the Expo.
The buffet is great for all ages, not quite as fancy as the Camino Real's but definitely worth it. I like the fact that the staff has been with the hotel for ages - we bumped into the same waiters who remembered us and some of the bell hops recognized my father from the 70's! Tells you a lot about this place...

Room Tip: The tower is quiet as opposed to the courtyard rooms close to the pool!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Rat1
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is my third stay here and I enjoy this hotel because I feel that I am already at the beach because of all the exotic plants and palm trees and with such a large swimming pool it does feel like Puerto Vallarta. The rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms are good size. A buffet breakfast is included and it is varied to meet everyone tastes. The only draw backs are that the hotel charges for parking and Internet service which I feel should be included since there are plenty of parking spaces available, and wifi should be a perk as the majority of hotels do not charge for this service.

Room Tip: Garden side has sliding door to pool area
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family