“Kind personnel, but no internet for 1st floor rooms”

Santiago De Compostela
Ranked #68 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Malaysia
“Kind personnel, but no internet for 1st floor rooms”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel, close to touristic places in Guadalajara, we stayed in 1st floor room, we could listen mariach music and piano concert from the hotel reception. It was very nice and felt like we are in Guadalajara. Only thins we didnt feel confortable was to not reach internet access, so we should have go to lobby to send mails. And the room was so humid and there is no ventilation system. We talked all this problem to the hotel personnel and they kindly offered us the questionner paper to write them down our opinion about this hotel. They are very open to customers opinion, which is the reason that I ranked this hotel 4 stars.
The breakfast was good, we invited some family members to have breakfast together in hotel restaurant and there are lots of variety, american style or buffet, which were not so expensive.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kanchandayo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mexicali, Mexico
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I was there two nights. It is a charming hotel. The staff is very friendly. My room was clean, nice clean bathroom, it had a tub, I would say a very deep and ample one, good water preassure, hot water at any point during the day. I could have ordered room service, but I did not. I cannot tell you about the food of the restaurant, but I can tell you it has a small one. My room did not come with breakfast. I walked two blocks to get my breakfast. The bed was very comfortable. The decor in the room was very 80´s or 90´s, but I was there to rest and I was able to. The hotel is right in the middle of downtown, but the room was very quiet. I was on the 5th floor, in walking distance of the pool. the pool was clean, went in for about 20 minutes. I liked it, would stay there again, it was economic. I needed to rest and I did. Congrats to the staff!

Room Tip: I would choose the 5th floor. It is quiet and if you want to go for a swim, the pool is right there.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LatinaTraveling
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Yes, the rooms need updating a bit, but I found the beds really comfy, the showers lovely and hot and the roof terrace and pool are awesome :) The staff at Santiago are FANTASTIC, so lovely and helpful and very kind. It's in a great location in the Historic Centre, close to 7 amazing squares and you can catch a bus to other parts of the city, (it's MASSIVE), right outside the hotel, or one of the awesome staff will call you a taxi. I really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco Bay, CA
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel can and hopefully will be great one day. The building is stunning from the interior courtyards with large open spaces in which natural light pours in to the floors below. It is very stylish in its colors and appointments.

The rooms, however, are in need of some updates. The beds are as hard as steel gurneys. The lighting is dim at best. The worst thing, however, was a strong odor of sewer gas, most likely from the aging plumbing. They seem to try to cover up for it by spraying deodorizer quite heavily in the rooms.

On the positive side, the location is excellent for touring historic Guadalajara. The WIFI was great. And the staff were very gracious and attentive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Swede_Oak
San Francisco
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Santiago De Compostela was in a great location. We stay in room 324 two double beds and balcony to the plaza. The room had a double or queen bed, closet space, sink separate from toilet and shower, vanity/desk and TV. The rooms were very clean and in good shape. Two bottles of water were provided everyday.

Room Tip: Room 324--- Lovely room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This place saved the day - as I was in GDL for 4 days and was bored to tears. The hotel is well-located, near what little there is to do here. Good wifi, great breakfast, nice staff, nice rooms, fantastic piano-playing man in the evening. The only downside was the showers were warm, but not hot. Who cares - I like this place. But I won't return, as this city was a huge lefdown.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank halitozis
San Luis Soyatlan
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We arrived early and, thankfully, with reservation on August 30th, 2013 for one night. They let us check in before noon and park our car underground. The hotel is across the street from a lovely old Church and park. Our room was beautiful; overlooking the street, 12' ceilings, old-world charm with a jacuzzi tub. Bed was firm but comfortable. We were glad the air conditioner blocked most of the noise from the street. We were right downtown, so we didn't expect total quiet. Hotel is close to all attractions, a couple of blocks to the Guadalajara Cathedral. We took a wonderful horse and carriage ride for over an hour from across the street from the hotel.
In the evening a piano man played in the cozy lobby open to upper floor mezzanines. We stayed for a couple of margaritas. The friendly bartender had worked there for 25 years and was very much a gentleman.
We will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple