“So Beautiful on the Website!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel San Francisco Plaza

Hotel San Francisco Plaza
Ranked #100 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Calgary, Canada
“So Beautiful on the Website!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were really looking forward to our stay at this place. Another website gave it 4-stars, the location was perfect for us and it looked amazing. We reserved two rooms with balconies facing the street, not the courtyard. Upon check-in, the exterior didn't look nearly as pristine as the photos and entry was a little disappointing. Staff however were extremely friendly and accommodating and gave us rooms as requested. The inner courtyard is calming with birds and flourishing foliage. The place obviously has a grand history. Magnificent hardwood room-doors towering to at least ten feet, ceilings of twelve feet, possibly higher. A setting that sets the stage for a magnificent experience. Entering our rooms we immediately grasped an air of profound stench. Something like mold or sewage, possibly both. Our friends down the hall, same thing. Our beds too were very tired, hard and con-caved. The stench thing wasn't just a mild problem. We had had issues like this elsewhere and solved it by flushing water down the drains, but this had no affect. The lovely balconies in the web photos..when we finally wrenched and worked the doors open, it was a shock. You couldn't step out without walking in pigeon guano, the balcony railings were caked in poop as well. It was so disgusting dirty we closed the beautiful doors and didn't go out again. Our friends room, the same thing. After a less than good night sleep we asked to cut our stay here from 4 nights to checking out now, and although we were committed to to all 4 there was no objection or charge for additional night. All staff, front, reception, cleaning (not good but possibly over worked) and restaurant staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. They need to undergo serious sewage and other renos and this place could really be great!!!

Room Tip: don't book here according to their website description, wait for reno and upgrades
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dereham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel was our base for 3 nights in Guadalajara earlier this week. It is very conveniently located for the Historic Centre of Guadalajara and we stayed an extra night as the deal was stay two nights get the 3rd Free. It is an old colonial building and could do with renovations asap to the rooms. They were dark and dingy and smelled of damp. The sheets were clean but unfortunately the smell coming up from the drains was so obnoxious it seemed as though a colonial builder had left something down there to haunt us. The staff however were helpful and friendly and the breakfast looked very good, the dining room well attended. The owners should get on and renovate and this would bring it back up to a 3 star hotel standard.

Room Tip: We were in 118 to start with which was quiet but very dingy. We moved to 215 which was larger and br...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank motorhomelifer

Travelers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Bucerias, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed before at this hotel and my experience this trip was not a very positive one. Certainly a great location in Guadalajara centro, no doubt about that. However, I agree with other reviewers that this hotel has seen better days. I was in room 201, a brightly lit room facing the patio. The room itself was comfortable however a few things left me wondering if I will stay here again. I found only one outlet in the room for a three prong plug. To charge my laptop I needed to unplug the TV. The free internet was incredibly slow (and I live in DSL world in Mexico so this was even slower!) Many times I lost internet connectivity. The bathroon was the worst. Mold in the shower, a sink held in by wires and sewer fumes coming up through the shower drain. And, the room was freezing the entire time I was here. Of course, this IS December in Guadalajara but wow, I'm so ready to go back to the coast! If you are willing to put up with some minor inconveniences for the $600+ pesos a night this is an OK place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Attn TripAdvisor: the cover photo for his hotel is NOT this hotel. (and that should be obvious)

I travel several to Guadalajara several times per year and have stayed in a few central hotels of this type. The SF Plaza is my current fave. There is a newer wing that does not appeal to me, but I love the room that I usually get. You may want to view several rooms... they are all different.

You might notice that you are making dirty footprints on the bathroom floor. This because the floors are stone; a soft, dark volcanic stone. This is a clean hotel with loads of charm and character. Wifi can be a bit weak. As all say, the location is perfect. There are always interesting people wandering through the tiny plaza out front. This hotel is on the edge of the gay clubs scene.

The cost for the breakfast buffet is nominal. You may pay for it when you pay for your room, but I think you can also peruse the buffet and pay before being seated. It is really, really good. There is never a crowd and you can take your time.... several different meats, eggs, fruits, yogurts, cereals, brewed coffee, and fresh juices.

Self parking is free, around the corner in a secure garage. Come and go as you please, but most tourists will have no need of driving anywhere.

I highly recommend this hotel, even if you are not on a budget.

Tom

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I travel weekly for work and usually stay in the Marriott brands. Not having this option when I go to GDL I ALWAYS stay here. The hotel staff is super freindly, in a great safe location with some spacious clean rooms. I left my passport and over $10K in pesos stupidly on my night stand and went out. I came back with a note on my bed that the room service had placed my passport and $$ under my cloths in the dresser, all acounted for. Obvously learned a lesson there, gave room service a huge tip and have returned 7 other times to great experiences every single time! I have not 1 time had any issues in this hotel. The food downstairs in the attatched restuarant is great! I reccomend the breakfast and lunch menu the most.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel is located in the historic center, within walking distance to the main square, Zocalo with the cathedral. I spent here 2 nights. It is relatively inexpensive hotel. The level of comfort, in my opinion, was quite adequate to the price. Our spacious room was on the first floor. There was a balcony overlooking the square but unfortunately the door which gives an access to the balcony was closed. The room had air conditioning, TV, telephone and en-suite bathroom with hot shower. Hotel interiors were lovely decorated: paintings, plants, cages with birds, patios with fountains, balconies and galleries. In one of the courtyards was served breakfast in the morning. It was a buffet style breakfast, quite delicious. I paid for it extra as it wasn`t included in the price. Hotel made rather good impressions on me.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends