“WOW! What a super hotel”

Hotel San Francisco Plaza
Ranked #93 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Seattle, Washington
“WOW! What a super hotel”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I travel weekly for work and usually stay in the Marriott brands. Not having this option when I go to GDL I ALWAYS stay here. The hotel staff is super freindly, in a great safe location with some spacious clean rooms. I left my passport and over $10K in pesos stupidly on my night stand and went out. I came back with a note on my bed that the room service had placed my passport and $$ under my cloths in the dresser, all acounted for. Obvously learned a lesson there, gave room service a huge tip and have returned 7 other times to great experiences every single time! I have not 1 time had any issues in this hotel. The food downstairs in the attatched restuarant is great! I reccomend the breakfast and lunch menu the most.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel is located in the historic center, within walking distance to the main square, Zocalo with the cathedral. I spent here 2 nights. It is relatively inexpensive hotel. The level of comfort, in my opinion, was quite adequate to the price. Our spacious room was on the first floor. There was a balcony overlooking the square but unfortunately the door which gives an access to the balcony was closed. The room had air conditioning, TV, telephone and en-suite bathroom with hot shower. Hotel interiors were lovely decorated: paintings, plants, cages with birds, patios with fountains, balconies and galleries. In one of the courtyards was served breakfast in the morning. It was a buffet style breakfast, quite delicious. I paid for it extra as it wasn`t included in the price. Hotel made rather good impressions on me.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Guanajuato, Mexico
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Quaint and quintessentially Mexican, even down to the noise caused when they moved the steel furniture in the dining area at five in the morning but to give them full credit the management listened t our complaint and the problem was resolved. We have stayed there 3 times and although the surrounding area is a bit grungy we did not feel threatened as we walked to and from the hotel.
Our room was large, clean and comfortable, the staff were polite and language was not a problem. The breakfast was good and plentiful.
We will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Reviewed May 29, 2012

When you're in this hotel you really feel are in old Mexico - the decor is charming with little courtyards that contain beautiful fountains, plants and, in some cases, birds. The people at the front desk were polite - I speak Spanish so I don't know if they spoke English. My room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a little run down but there was hot water and I was able to take a shower, and the plumbing worked. They provide a large free bottle of drinking water. It was kind of noisy most of the time - I don't think there is any kind of sound insulation in the walls, but I was still able to sleep. The volume on the TV didn't work, and neither did the air conditioning but the temperature was fine at night when it cools off in Guadalajara. I only had breakfast in the restaurant, which opens at 8:00 and it took them a really long time to produce coffee and toast - I asked what was taking so long and they said they were "heating the bread". There was a breakfast buffet which I didn't try. They don't open for breakfast until 8:00 am, which could be a problem if you have to be out and about early. The Seven Eleven across the little plaza serves better and cheaper coffee. I walked around quite a bit but the neighborhood doesn't look very safe and I wouldn't be inclined to be out after dark in the area. You can easily walk to most of the attractions in downtown Guadalajara including the Plaza de los Mariachis. I would definitely stay in this hotel again. I only paid around $30 per night and it was well worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mary S
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed in this charming colonial hotel for 3 nights...
The room was large and clean, bathroom very clean too.
Good location, walking distance to Downtown Guadalajara.
Friendly staff
Affordable price (like 650 pesos per night)
Breakfast buffet for 75 pesos (delicious)
Good value for money!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColuAvila
Fresno, California
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Hotel San Francisco Plaza in Guadalajara, Mexico in April, 2012. the first thing you notice when you arrive is that the beautifully painted hotel sits in the Plaza San Francisco- a very inviting little plaza with benches for sitting and people watching. There are shops and restaurants in the plaza. The hotel entry way is open and immediately leads you into a central court yard/atrium two stories high with rooms around the second floor on the passageways. The courtyard is incredibly beautiful and comfortable, with Mexican decorations, such as cherubs, a large fountain, flowers, large palm trees, tables and chairs, and bird cages filled with colorful parakeets chirping away! the term "inviting" does not do it justice- you almost want to spend your entire vacation sitting in this area!!! the hotel has other courtyards similiarly inviting. The rooms are extremely large with high ceilings, and provide a great feeling of old Mexico! The beds are very comfortable, The on-site restaurant has a breakfast buffet for about $7.00 that changes daily- very good food- which you would never find inthe US. The other menu items are also very tasty and great value- my personal favorite was the quesadilla breakfast- comes with 4 quesadillas, a salad, and refried beans! The staff were so very nice! the hotel is very centrally located- within a few blocks of the Cathedral and the plazas surrounding the Cathedral, the historical center, shops, and restaurants. this is a hotel I would definitely stay at again, and again, and again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from the central courtyard and away from the restaurant courtyard. We b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kent, Washington
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This hotel was always our place to stay because it is in a very convenient location - within walking distance of the grand market, Plaza de Mariachis, the historic district and good restaurants. The surrounding neighborhood at night has become really sleazy though. The hotel has become quite run down and giving it a coat of paint is not going to fix it. One of the reasons we liked staying here was the restaurant. What a disappointment this time. The service was horrible and the food mediocre. The front desk service is also very indifferent. We were told one rate by the night person and another by the day person. You are better off making your own reservations by an internet travel site. This is a shame and it is making us wonder if we will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple