“Felt safe, walking distance to historic area. inexpensive, good food”

Hotel San Francisco Plaza
Ranked #94 of 129 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Yes, this is a older hotel but quite nice. Has genuine feel of being in mexico. The person at the desk could always speak pretty good english. within walking distance to liberty market, plazas and interesting site to see. Weekend brunch was excellent. We were one of the few tourists, other occupants were travelers of mexican decent...which to me says a lot. It rooms were clean and adequate. Would DEFINITELY stay there again. Booking was a little problem. Booked large rm with two beds. We were checked into room with one bed.... complained and immediately switched to room with 2 beds. Kinda had the feeling that I was booked into the hotel and was given an available room... like it shouldn't matter to me so long as I had a bed at the hotel. But as I said, when I complained, immediately given a very nice, LARGE room with 2 beds. AC worked wonderfullly.

Room Tip: tips... I would get the name of the person you are booking the room with and confirm before arriving...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank NWLadyUSA
There are newer reviews for Hotel San Francisco Plaza

Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel has nice historic character and a lovely interior courtyard and a good location close to the sights of central Guadalajara.

Room was a good size and comfortable, although dark and a bit bland and lacking in character.

Some of the immediate area of the hotel is slightly dodgy. The little plaza on which the hotel is located is certainly not Guadalajara's best, with a few dodgy characters about. However, I did (single male traveller) walk into the city at night and back again several times and never felt truly unsafe in any way but the hotel staff can advise the best streets to take.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its historic character and convenient location close all of the historic central sights of the city.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank mezaco
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I wrote a review on this back in feb 2011. I went back to this hotel, not by choice cos I was travelling the week of the Pan America game and most hotel shot up in prices, apart from this. I had to break my business trip to Mexico to 2 different hotel. However, knowing what to expect this time round, makes staying here so much better. The room was large and this tme the toilet was clean. The maid clean the room everyday and they have nice overnight and day reception that speaks english and very corteous. There certainly have been an improvement. Though would be good to have little things like fridge in the bedroom, hair dryer, and they can do well to invest to do up the lobby and the restaurant thats very "out on the street hawkers street" appeal. And even thought wifi was provided, I cant get it in my room, so have to sit downstairs by the restaurant to use it. But tops for staff... still lots of work can be done to it before they can class themselves as 3star.. but for the price I was paying, for once Im happy and no complaint at all. Good value for money spent.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sofiajclow
Reviewed October 22, 2011

within walking distance to the famous Degollado Theatre, In Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. The rooms are adequate to large, and the price is very reasonable if you book online. Even more exciting is the short walk to one of the world's largest open-air shopping bazaars. Become friends with the serving staff in the restaurant, and you will get beautiful smiles, good service and wonderful traditional Mexican food. Give it a try. I have stayed her for ten years of visits.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor rooms, there is no elevator
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed 5 nights at the San Francisco Plaza. At first glance, I wasn't thrilled with the neighborhood, but as we got used to the location, we found it very acceptable. Close to the historic downtown, a block away from a fun people watching plaza.
Desk staff was helpful when our key cards stopped working, and also when we wanted more pillows.
We ate breakfast twice at the buffet. 75 pesos for all you can eat, juice and coffee was great!
No elevator turned out to be a non-problem for us. Our room was fairly quiet.
One improvement would be a fan in the room, it was a little stuffy and we didn't feel comfortable leaving the window open at night as it opened into the hallway.
Also, the king size bed was the typical hard Mexican mattress!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sioux4noff
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The hotel is a two star hotel but a good value for the price. The location is central, good for historic Guadalajara and convenient to Guadalajara gay life at night.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Fools4Food
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I have stayed here three times. My stays have averaged one month in length each time. I could not be happier and will definitely return the next time I am in this city. The food is authentic mexican and delicous. The rooms are clean and they are constantly upgradeing the hotel. It is downtown and yes the area is very adventurous and not for everybody. I have a blast each time I stay here.

Room Tip: they are all good, it is an old hotel. the rooms are all clean and stayworthy
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo