“exellent arracharra”

Las 9 Esquinas
Ranked #39 of 1,115 Restaurants in Guadalajara
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
moose jaw
“exellent arracharra”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

WE found this place in the lonley planet guide book as there pick in guadalajara and we were not disappointed. One of the best meals I have ever had in Mexico or anywhee else for that matter. Very reasonable prices, authentic mexican.

• Visited January 2012

Guadalajara, Mexico
“Still good”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I have been eating at different restaurants at 9 corners for 20 years. Much has changed. Many restaurants have come and gone. But I can always find some of the best Birria in the city if I want to eat early. Freshly made corn tortillas waft down the many (9) streets that converge at this locally well known area of downtown. It would be great to see the fountain area brought back to life again, but this particular restaurant has weathered well by it's offering of good food.....Birria...in different preparations.

Ajijic, Mexico
“As Real As It Gets!”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I have been several times as I love the authentic food and casual environment here. It is located on a lovely square in the historic center. The Birria is the dish to enjoy here, although I have had other dishes as well. Birria is a Jalisco original with a base of "carne de chivo" prepared at it's best with spices and chills and cooked slowly in an oven. Served here with lots of hot, fresh, hand made tortilla!
I enjoy the time before noon, spending a time in the square and watching the world pass by. It is a true cultural experience in Guadalajara, a gem of colonial Mexico.

• Visited August 2011
Nerja, Spain
“I LIKED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS FAMOUS RESTUARANT”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We stayed in the area and went back to try the special dishes, the meat was so tender had been cooking for a long while. The menu is in spanish only however the ladies do a good job and show you the food in the clay pots so you can tell by looking at them what they are. Not for vegos though, they had the goats skulls up on the counter as if they had just stripped it of all the flesh, not good. You can have 3 sized portions so I would go for the chico(which is medium). It is the only one open at night, they are all open at lunch, very reasonable price, do not sell vino only beer, highly recommend, we also went to La Chata which also you should not miss

• Visited March 2011
St Gilgen, Austria
“Best meal I've had in Mexico!”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I wandered through the streets from my hotel on busy Juarez Street to this restaurant because Lonely Planet said it was good. I don't usually follow what that book says, but I didn't feel like being adventurous and try to find something on my own.
Las 9 Esquinas is lovely. Not only is it gorgeous inside in a very traditional Mexican sort of way, the food is outstanding. I ordered their speciality of barbacoa borrego, and it was absolutely delicious. And all the accompaniments were perfect with the meat - onions, lime, salsa (red and green), corn tortillas, cilantro. I ordered a side of guacamole too, which was some of the best I've eaten (and that's saying alot). Washed it all down with a cold beer, and I was in heaven!
Smallish problem is that they don't have a menu in English and none of the staff spoke English. So if you don't speak Spanish then you've just got to muddle through it. But having said that, we are in Mexico so it's wrong to assume they should have to understand me. My waiter smiled at my Spanglish attempts, but we got through it OK.

Run, don't walk, to this restaurant if you are in Guadalajara. I'll be going back!

1 Thank jessglauser