“Paradise”
Review of Las Mananitas

Las Mananitas
Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Cuernavaca
Reviewed March 18, 2006

Paradise, Eden, this hotel is the best of the best. The service is excellent. The gardens are exquisite. This hotel is a bargain for the price. This is the only place to stay in Cuernavaca. The dining experince is second to none. If you go to Cuernavaca you MUST stay here.

4  Thank gemelos3883

mt sterling ky
Reviewed June 30, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel at least 5 times in the last 2 years. It never ceases to amaze me. My daughter was married there in the garden by the pool. All arrangements were handled perfectly by the hotel. The food, service and atmosphere is the best I have ever experienced. The staff is so eager to attend to ever detail. If you want a perfect trip call them and tell them what you want and they will take care of it for you. I can't wait for my next opportunity to return.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our 4th visit to Las Mananitas in 8 years, including a great fiesta for 15 friends/family for my 50th birthday 5 years ago. It is still beautiful, the restaurant and bar still lovely, but the dress code has disappeared which means lots of unkempt people in the restaurant in t shirts and jogging shoes and fanny packs.
Unfortunately, the departure of Reuben Cerda (now at El Madrigal in Cuernavaca) and the recent death of Sra Kraus, wife of the original owner, has meant a big drop in service at the hotel. They never answered repeated emails about a car pickup from the airport, and we had to comfrim by phone; the car failed to show and the hotel people were mystified and unapologetic. On departure, same story -- we reserved a car back to Mexico City at the front desk the night before and it never appeared; instead, they got us a less than wonderful taxi and driver who had no clue how to get to our hotel.
We returned unexpectedly to Cuernavaca 10 days later and booked at Casa Colonial -- which is not as fancy but much more centrally located, and where the service was caring and lovely -- for 1/3 the priceof Las Mananitas. Sad to say, the glory days seem to have passed and I would no longer recommend the hotel as enthusiastically as I have for many years. I'd go for drinks and dinner, and then spend the night at Casa Colonial.

• Stayed: February 2005
22  Thank mexifan
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed February 7, 2004

This hotel is magical elegance. Most of the 22 rooms face a garden so beautiful and peaceful, - it seems to me what a "Zen-Buddist" type garden must be.... beautiful, elegant, yet simple. I'm surprised that the reviewers I've read, have not mentioned the dozen or so "Peacocks" that freely walk around the gardens, which is great fun to watch while having an afternoon drink in the garden. The guests have a "private" garden, complete with two beautiful "African Cranes" living on the grounds, along with a multitude of peacocks, and at the end of the "guest gardens" is the Pink Flamingo pool,.... with several pink flamingos and stepping stones to walk a bit through the pool.

It was so beautiful and relaxing. The pool looks almost "crystal blue" next to vivid pink/red bouganvilla. It was so beautiful - I could not leave Las Mananitas without swimming in it. So at 8:00 a.m. -on the morning we were to check-out - I went in and found this beautiful pool was heated, and absolutely perfect.

The staff of Las Mananitas - is extremely gracious. I have not been all over the world, - but I have been "around" - and rarely do you find such pleasant graciousness.

The only thing I can say could really use some improvement - ... is the food. Oh - it's good! Nothing bad about it! But as others have mentioned, it is not really as exquisite as the peaceful, beauty and elegance of the hotel.

P.S. - ... This is also a place where many "well-to-do" Mexican families from Mexico City often come for during the weekend for dinner or lunch. It's a wonderful place and Mexicans have known about it for years,.... and a few lucky and select foreigners!

That's my opinion,.... and I'm "stickin' to it!"

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2004

Although I live in Mexico, I thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant Las Mananitas. The setting may be alittle formal, but that is part of the charm. When you live here, you want "formal" once in awhile.

The menus isn't particularly gourmet, but the food is good, plentiful and wholesome.

We had a lovely afternoon watching the peacocks and just enjoying the setting in general. I would go back again and will next time we are in Cuernavaca.

Irene McKinley

4  Thank Irene M
Reviewed January 8, 2004

It appears as if your contributors from cold places like Chicago or Wisconsin believe this place to be a Garden of Eden. However, coming from Los Angeles, where there is an abundance of outdoor, patio and garden-style dining, as well as plenty of fine international cuisine, my wife and I visited Mananitas and were completely UNDERWHELMED. They put on a well scripted show, but in Mexico, where the warmth and friendliness of restauranteurs and innkeepers is one the highlights of a visit, Mananitas felt professional, but oh so cold. I soon got the feeling we were being "processed" rather than graciously served. And the food was nothing more than "adequate" for a high priced place.
Nothing to write home about, except perhaps if you're from Wisconsin or Chicago.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 6, 2004

I absolutely love Las Mananitas - I travel frequently all over the world, and it remains one of my favorite places. Charming, great location, beautiful courtyard, peacocks in the garden, good service...but just keep in mind they only take American Express or cash in the restaurant (no other cc!). The restaurant is an experience in and of itself - you must eat there, even if not staying at the hotel.
Very romantic dinners on the patio of the courtyard, candles and torches lit all over, great food. I suppose the only drawback is that it is very popular and you will always see other foreigners there, not exactly a 'hidden' gem, though a gem it is...

2  Thank AnnaDC