“The worst place we've been in”
Review of Mision Cuernavaca

Mision Cuernavaca
Ranked #14 of 59 Hotels in Cuernavaca
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Honestly, we've never been in a worse hotel before.

A friend of ours was giving a party in Cuernavaca, so we decided to look for a hotel nearby (to stay only for a night after the party), and not returning late to the city. After looking several hotel options, we decided to stay there as we thought it would be a nice place, especially for the $PRICE$. Well, we very dissapointed with everything there... definitely have received much better attention and room quality for a lower rate.

First, the hotel location in their website is not very clear (especially for those who don't know the town). There are two streets with the same name, practically within the same neighbourhood, so we got lost. I called the hotel and the guy who answered the phone was not very clear giving me instructions to get to the hotel, even worse, his directions took us to the downtown where streets were closed and traffic was annoying. I called back to complain and cancel my reservation, but I was told that they would charge me for full if we didn't show up. I explained that we couldn't get to the hotel as the instructions and address in their website were not clear enough and that they couldn't help us getting there, so it was not my fault if I didn't show up; the lady over the phone just told me "I'm looking at the website and, eventhough there are no clear instructions and the address is not complete, the zip code is indicated so you should have no problem finding the hotel... what am I supposed to know all zip code areas within the country?!?!?!?!?! .After some time (yelling) over the phone, they sent me an email with some other instructions so we could finally get to the hotel.

When we arrived, we were given a room right next to the kitchen (we accepted it as it was late and kitchen was closed). Front door was old, dirty and in terrible conditions; with a nice collection of security locks - some of them from the last century - and none of them working of course, so we had to close with a regular key attached to a cord. Room was dirty and the AC didn't work. I wanted to take a shower before going to bed, but the shower didn't had enough pressure and water was cold.

The next day, we were really upset and all we wanted was just to be out of there. The kitchen started working very early in the morning, so we were awaken by the kitchen noise and lots employees talking right next to a cancelled window in our room. We decided to take a shower and drive back to Mexico earlier than planned... but surprise, no water was coming out from the shower at all!!!. We called to the front desk to report the issue and have it fixed, but water never came out from the faucet and shower. We took our belongings and complaint over with the front desk... of course all we got was a "we're sorry" from them.

We really had a bad experience there. Too very expensive for the horrible service and room we got. Save yourself a bad time and look out for other options for your stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank waffle77

Reviewed January 13, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights while visiting my husbands family close by. The front desk personnel are very rude. The air conditioning never worked during our stay. Everytime we told the staff it wasn't working they said "it was", well it wasn't. We never had any wash cloths in our bathroom, apparently you need to request them. The only good thing about the hotel is the taxi service, they are always available and cheap. Were going back to Cuernavaca in February 2010 and we will be staying at the Hosteria Las Quintas this time.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank tamasula
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Incorrectly we choose this hotel fore the same reasons:
- Hotel Mision, its supose to be a chain of 5* hotels
- The web seems to be a good place where to stay
- Good price

We just stayed for one night but we were really dissapointed: the whole hotel its old and without mantinience. It seems that it use to be a nice hotel, come to less.

The service wasnt any good at the lobby, we waited for our room for been cleaned, and when we get in to our huge room was dusty and has humidity at the ceiling. Rooms furniture is old, but at least it has a good internet. The sheets and the towels werent white, the towels seems to be used for cleaning the floor.

definitly i wont recommend it

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Mariferreyes
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I am warning everyone about this hotel. I have just had a horrible experience here and had to change hotels. My backpack with my laptop was stolen from my room. Do NOT stay here! Management promised to help but so far they have not done so! Be warned!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wolverine87
Reviewed March 1, 2009

This is one of those hotels that when you see the internet photos the first thing you think is: It will be beautiful to stay there. In fact, gardens are beautiful, the restaurant is good, especially breakfast, and rooms are huge.
However, service is a big problem. We reserve three rooms, 2 doubles, 1 King. When we get to our rooms, there was no King bed room. I went to the lobby showing them that my reservation includes one King bed room (for which I paid a different price), and the answer was, yes, your reservation is a room with a King bed but my system says another thing. After several minutes of discussion he agrees to give the correct room. The hotel is divided in to areas and you have to cross the street. I request to have all the rooms in the same section, as there were young people with us. It was just impossible to make them change the rooms. The hotel was completely empty, so I don't think that would be a problem. After we get to our rooms, I tried to contact the other two rooms by phone with no answer. So I went to check what was going on, to find out that the phone in both rooms were not working. Once again I went to the lobby to check with them and the answer was: yes we knew it and we will not change the rooms, take it or leave it.
Rooms furniture is old, TVs don't work properly (you have to guess what is going on as the signal is very bad.
The web site of this hotel says: A 5* hotel in Cuernavaca. I don't think I will give the 4*. It's more a 3*+.
Pay a litle more and go to Sumiya, Mision del Sol or Las Mañanitas.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kartikmexico
Reviewed May 12, 2008

The promotional pictures of this hotel were much better than the reality.

We enjoyed the swimming pools, with some beautiful plants and foliage surrounding them. The food in the restaurant was fine, although the price for a glass of wine made us choose soda instead. The dining area overlooked the grounds and was a great and relaxing setting.

However, this was not a hotel where one left a laptop in the room. Each day when we left, we checked it at the front desk, where staff members understood varying amounts of English.

The rooms were straight out of the 1950's, and unfortunately, they hadn't been updated much since. The rooms were huge in size. However, the front door did NOT give us a feeling of security, and from our bathroom we could actually see outside due to a gap! There had been attempts to modernize the rooms, but work was very roughly done, to say the least.

The toilets did not flush particularly well, and there was a septic smell as a result. The air-conditioning did not work very well/at all, although the maintenance man did his best to try to fix it. Overhead fans helped a bit.

It says something--not good--about a hotel when they are afraid guests will steal the tv remote.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank GreenUnicorn
Reviewed July 22, 2004

I stayed at the Maximiliano and Carlota Hotel last January for a week while I was studying Spanish in one of the local schools. It is in an old hacienda with beautiful landscaping and two pools. My room was enormous -- I was there on my own but had a room big enough for five or six people and there was also a huge balcony with a table and chairs. The room itself was a little rough around the edges and somewhat basic (the furniture was not the most comfortable) but fine. The only real catch was that I had expected that I would be right downtown, but it turned out that there are two streets with the same name, and mine was about a mile from the town center in a residential neighborhood without anything much around. At first I thought that this would be a problem but there were always inexpensive taxis available, so it wasn't really a problem. There's also a pleasant on-site restaurant, but I only ever had breakfast there. In all, I would really recommend it if you have a group and also if you have your own car (there's plenty of parking). If you're alone and/or without transportation, it's not ideal but still good.

13  Thank mondo107