“Great location, great service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Hacienda de Cortes

Hotel Hacienda de Cortes
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Cuernavaca
Buenos Aires
“Great location, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went to Hacienda Cortes for 3 days, for a wedding. Our room was very good, but I would reccomend the ones in the "old" wing. They are more charming.
Service was excellent at all ocasions. Our little daughter had a wonderful time in the gardens and the pool was perfect for her. The wedding was a huge success, in part due to the magnificent location.

Room Tip: Rooms at garden level have beatiful private patios.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I attended a small conference in this hotel in July 2012 and found it an exciting experience. The hotel is built around the ruins of the estate house or hacienda built by Cortes, the conqueror of Mexico in the mid 16 century. It was the centre of the earliest sugar industry in the country.There are many remaining walls and foundations which have been retained and built around to create modern facilities but always with an eye to the history of the place. The property also contains large trees many of whose huge roots are actually growing on walls. I have never seen such a strange and exotic hotel site. The restaurant is covered over by a canopy of leaves from branches and roots that are also growing on the walls. The swimming pool located in a lovely treed garden is built around two old pillars which have become part of its design. There are also beautiful gardens and many lovely walkways and huge bouquets of flowers are everywhere. The ambiance of the hotel is really extraordinary.

Within this historical space, the rooms are beautiful. In the new building they are large and very well appointed with great views of the surrounding area and its mountains. The older bulding also contains lovely rooms some with jacuzzi bathrooms. The service, on the whole was very good and there is excellent working wi-fi! I will not comment on the food since I am not a fan of Mexican cuisine but most of my colleagues thought it was very good.

I should also note that I was there in a slow period, no large groups or weddings so found the place very quiet.

I was told that this hotel has already been designated as a UNESCO world heritage site.

Room Tip: rooms on the 4 an 5 floor of the new building have beautiful views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 2York
HaciendaCortes, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Hacienda de Cortes, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear guest
It was a pleasure for us to know that your stay at the Hotel & Spa Hacienda de Cortes it was a pleasent one.
We appreciate your friendly comment about our property.
We hope to see you again here in Cuernavaca

Regards from the Hacienda staff
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

To Whom it may concern,
I have stayed with my wife at the Hacienda to attend a wedding of our friends that took place there as well. The Hacienda is great, the set up and athmosphere is fantastic. However our blackberry was stolen from our room and two friends of ours reported thefts of handbag and wallet as well. Please see the mail below that I sent to the Hacienda without receiving an answer. I hope the feedback is of use to folks thinking of going there.

"To the Manager,
we were guests in your house during the wedding of our friends D and C.

The Wedding was very nicely done and I have to admit that the Hacienda is a fantastic location.

However our overall experience with your hotel was not satisfiyng as my wife’s blackberry was stolen out of our room.
It happened on Saturday after we left the hotel to go to the church ceremony. Once we realized that the blackberry was missing we mentioned it to the receptionist.
He said that he would interrogate and let the manager know.
Additionally I refrained from immediately paying my bill stating that I would only pay once the blackberry issues has been solved. He accepted that and told me that they would stay in contact with me.
However I did not hear a word from you or any other responsible from your hotel. Furthermore the moment we left the hotel you charged my credit card although as mentioned above the receptionist agreed for me not paying before the blackberry issue has been resolved.
Not only are there thefts happening in your hotel (as you know our incident was not the only that night) but also are your employees lying to your customer which is unacceptable.

I ask you to provide a solution to that problem within one week otherwise I see no alternative as to share my bad experience with hotel/vacation forums and guidebooks such as the Lonely Planet.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards"

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
16 Thank joplett
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

I've never stayed in a room here but have been dining at the restaurant for 30 years. The atmosphere and ambiance are wonderful, a beautiful setting. Food quality has been steadily improving over the years, very good Mexican continental style. One of my favorite restaurants in Cuernavaca.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank axs666
Ciudad de mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I went to this hotel to spend our 1st Anniversary and had the worst experience, and it all started at the check in , which we had to wate for 45 minutes to get our room, then 40 minutes for someone to open the service bar and when it was already opened 20 minutes to be refilled (it wasn't even turned on). At the restaurant the hostess told us the lunch buffet was already served but when we wanted to serve they didn't have anything so we had to wait for almost an hour to get something to eat.
Our room was near the parking lot, and in the garden across it there was a wedding so we couldn't sleep because of the noise!!!!
And to finish our weekend the manager made me responsible for THE POOL TURNING MY BLOND HAIR GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't recommend this hotel not even to my worst enemy!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gbaranda
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

We always wanted to stay at this property when visiting Cuernavaca but in past years chose less expensive places when traveling with the children. This year we decided to treat ourselves and were delighted with our stay. The the room was beautiful, the staff was helpful and friendly, and the verdant grounds so lovely and relaxing. We ate twice at the excellent restaurant. But the best thing about the hotel is its history and the amazing incorporation of its antique buildings into the compound, a must see for history buffs.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bbc001
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed at the Hacienda for two nights in February. We booked an "Orbitz Room." Which I have come to recognize as the cheapest room in the house, but in many cases, the only room I can afford in many destinations! We had a hard time finding the property after a long day driving around the countryside from Mexico City, but it was well worth it. A beautiful trickling fountain crowned with an enormous flower arrangemnt greets you as you pass between the classic spanish iron gates into the property. Reception was friendly and efficient. The room was clean and beautiful. Huge marble bath with walk in shower.

But it's the property itself that will enchant. Well tended landscaping, romantic mossy walls, wrought iron lighting, and stone pathways wind throughout this hideaway. The photos don't do the dining room justice. It is a magnificent vaulted stone structure, once part of the storage and grinding operations of the Hacienda. Huge iron chandeliers hang from the 25 foot ceilings. White linen service, gigantic tropical floral arrangements, trickling fountains-----talk about atmosphere.

The food lived up to the presentation. We ate two dinners, and two breakfasts here. They were beautiful enough to photograph, and unbelievably tasty and generously portioned. There is a small bar tucked into a stone room with leather sofas, chairs, and stools. Service everywhere was attentive but not stuffy. The restaurant was well priced, but not extravagantly so.

It is a relatively small property approx. 25 rooms give or take. Some extremely posh, the Shah of Iran stayed here when he was deposed. The pool is quite picturesque, but very small. There is even a play area for children. This would be the perfect place for a wedding, and there are large areas to serve events.

We would definately stay here again, I would jump at the chance!

• Liked — It is spectacularly beautiful and atmospheric.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple