“You're crazy if you don't go”

Spanish Language Institute - Day Course
Ranked #7 of 53 things to do in Cuernavaca
More attraction details
Owner description: ASLI Spanish Language Institute is a professional language school devoted to quality and personal attention. It specializes in the Spanish language and the culture of Latin America. The institute includes comfortable and attractive conference rooms, small group classrooms, free internet access, and a cafeteria. It is located in Cuernavaca, in Morelos state.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Too many reviews here say the same things.... "Best school, best teachers, blah blah blah."

I have only ever been to one school (this one) so have no basis for comparison. I suspect this is the same for many of the people who are commenting here.

BUT having said that I did ask my two teachers how long they had worked at ASLI. 26 and 33 years respectively. Why? Because they like their work and the people they work with. That's really all you need to know. They are a "happy family" and like what they do and are good at it.

I will definitely go back next year (If they will have me with my street slang beach Spanish !) and have recommended this school to many people in Huatulco Mexico where I live most of the year.

Cuernavaca is a wonderful city. As well, it is close to other great cities like Tepotzlan and Taxco that you can easily visit on your own or with a group tour organised by the school

3  Thank 292BillL

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've studied Spanish in many schools in Costa Rica, Guatemala, and four schools in Mexico. ASLI in Cuernavaca is by far the best of all. I have studied with them three times and my home stay and teachers were superior. I give it my highest recommendation.

4  Thank Travelgalminn
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I spent 10 days at the Spanish Language Institute in March 2013. I am a clinical social worker who uses Spanish for my job and needed to improve my fluency. I wish I could have spent more time, but could no t get away for a longer trip. ALSI was the right place for me. They have 6 hours per day of instruction, but I was learning Spanish every waking hour. At every meal I was engaged in conversation and cultural exchange with other students and my host family (Maru and Paco). The home was beautiful and comfortable and the food was incredible with lots of fruit and Mexican dishes made from scratch.
I liked that I was placed in classes which were exactly at the right level for me. I was challenged and the classes were fun. The other students were interesting people who had a similar level of commitment to learning that I had. I have been in touch with them by email and we plan to try and meet up again at ASLI again next year. it was very easy to make friends at the school. it is the type of place that attracts people who are fun and interesting.
As a middle aged woman traveling solo, I planned my arrival in Cuernavaca for afternoon and took the bus from Mexico City. It was a pleasant ride in a luxury touring style bus. Other students who arrived at odd hours arranged for pick up by the school. I never had any feelings of being unsafe in Cuernavaca or the surrounding areas. i took taxis and "la ruta" (little public buses) everywhere. The taxis are inexpensive, and just about any shop owner will call a radio taxi for you (they literally show up in minutes).
I went on one excursion with the school to Mexico City which was awesome. We went in a van with 11 people and had an incredible day of shopping, museums, and boating. I also signed up for the cooking class and learned how to make mole poblano, rice, and a strawberry jello that was more like mousse than jello. I would also recommend a trip to nearby Tepotzlan for the weekend market.
I recommend this school because of the excellent quality of instruction, the comfort of the school and homes, and because it was just plain fun to be there. Every day was full of interesting things to do. I look forward to going back.

3  Thank Hoarseradish
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I wanted my children to realize the benefit of studying Spanish, so I took my 12 year old twins and a friend of my daughter to Spanish Language Institute during their week-long school break in February 2013, where we all took semi-private courses in Spanish.

In the morning, we had private grammar classes. My grammar class was fun, much to my surprise, and at just my level. The children enjoyed their grammar classes, in which they played games. In the afternoon, I had conversation classes and learned about my fellow classmates and I also went on a couple of field trips to the open market in the center of Cuernavaca and to las Estacas, a natural water park.

In the afternoon, the children went on field trips and did activities, including making piñatas, making guacamole, creating art work. The children enthusiastically went to class every day. The only activity they didn't enjoy was the salsa dance class.

We stayed with a wonderful Mexican family who cooked us a variety of food. Our hosts drove us 20 minutes to and from SLI each day and made us feel very comfortable and welcome in their house.

3  Thank DelightfulNancy
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I took a three week course at the Spanish Language Institute. I was delighted. These people are top-notch and super organized. They never missed a beat. Classes start on-time. The teachers are excellent and the class sizes are small - optimal for learning in my opinion. The cost was very very low. They covered all my security concerns. My Spanish has improved dramatically and I am comfortable using Spanish here in Houston where it is the second language of the city.

2  Thank paulie959