“A Gem”

Hotel Boutique La Casa Azul
Ranked #19 of 59 Hotels in Cuernavaca
“A Gem”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I've been coming to Cuernavaca for more than 30 years, and even owned a home here for many years. Casa Azul represents the very best Cuernavaca has to offer. The Inn's rooms are beautifully detailed, and the gardens lovely. The staff is engaging and helpful. You feel more like you are guests in a beautiful home.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed February 22, 2012

General:
We have stayed two nights at the Hotel in Azul in Cuernavaca and have booked the Chihuahua Suite upfront for approc. 2700 Pesos.
The property of the Hotel is increadibly neat and maintained well. There are two (more for decoration) hotel pools, fantastic outside seating areas and beautiful surroundings. The suite was spacious, very clean and had a nice interior. Each suite within Casa Azul is named and decorated based on one of the districts of Mexico so we can only judge our Suite. Our suite was very private and had more less a separate outside patio where we could hang out.
A little disappointing was the fact that we arrived a little bit earlier (approx. 1 hour) and the room was still not ready. but it was also not the one which was cleaned next. So they kept us waiting for approx. 1.5 hours in the patio. As we were on vacation this was not of any importance of us but we thought at least a little speed up would have been nice. We would have been also satisified if we would have been moved to another room.
Unfortunately there was no hotel booklet where all information about the hotel could have been found. all information was only available upon request - but that seems to be normal in Mexico.
The staff in general is very nice and helpful - especially the guys from the breakfast service paid special attentions to us.
Food/ Other:
Don't expect the drinks to be cheap - unfortunately it isn't. The coffee is american style which means very very low on caffeine.
The breakfast is OK but not outstanding, the presentation is not as good as it could be and the taste has potential for improvement. There are many things on the buffet table but they are simply not as tasty as I expected it for that price.
The location of the hotel is excellent, within a side road of Cuernavaca Centro - within walking distance of the main square (Zocalo) incl. many restaurants and bars.
In general we would definately stay again at the Casa Azul even though a little bit expensive for Mexico but still a very nice place to hang out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelhex
Reviewed February 20, 2012

It's awesome !!!! But expensive !!!! Excellent room, the bed was amazing, the bath nice. They offer us a suit (1600 pesos 120USD) we preferred a premium room with a kingsize bed (1900 pesos 150 Usd). Really good !!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Paris, France
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I came back again and of course had to stay at my favorite Hotel. Casa Azul. Everything was wonderful. I stayed in the Puebla Casa this time and was not disappointed. I had for dinner the Cecina Huaraches highly recomended. The service was spectacular as always.

Room Tip: I recommend the following rooms: Huichol, San Miguel de Allende, Michoacan, Olinala
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed here for one night in January, 2012. I booked a junior suite using Expedia and paid about $150 CAD for the night. I found the hotel easily and the location was good for my day of sightseeing. My room was nicely decorated, although it didn't offer the "shower/bathtub combination" or "soaker tub" that were listed as features on Expedia. It also didn't have a "kitchen", which is listed as a "Room Amenity" (NOT a "Hotel Amenity") on Expedia. Oh well, it was pretty and comfortable. The lobby area of the hotel was gorgeous as well, with lots of comfortable sofas, greenery and a swimming pool which didn't seem to get any use.

Unfortunately, service at this hotel fell way short. My reservation with Expedia included a continental breakfast, but when I went to the restaurant in the morning I didn't see anything that looked like a breakfast buffet, and there was no "Continental Breakfast" (or anything similar; I do speak Spanish) on the menu. I went back to the hotel and asked about the included breakfast, and they told me it was not included. I made it very clear that I had paid a rate including breakfast, but they wouldn't budge, and I didn't have a copy of the reservation on me (I'd booked the night before from an internet cafe). I went back to the restaurant where the waiter asked if I had a "coupon"... this was a huge red flag that guests should be getting their breakfasts included. I said I didn't have one, ate one of their least expensive breakfasts in the restaurant and paid for it, then when I was out sightseeing I popped into another internet cafe to print my original reservation. When I later presented it to the front desk staff, they huffed and puffed and said that they couldn't have known my reservation included breakfast. I presented them with my breakfast receipt, and then they argued over the fact that the food I'd ordered cost more than a continental breakfast. If there'd been a continental breakfast on the menu I would have ordered it! It's not there! The front desk staff seriously stood around pondering what to do for about thirty minutes before making some motions towards issuing a refund but then trying to get out of it by saying they didn't have the correct change for me. Luckily, I had lots of change and thirty minutes later I walked out for good.

Casa Azul was really, really, really beautiful. They're going for a five-star look, and they've achieved it. But no five-star, four-star or even three-star hotel would nickel and dime their customers the way the front staff did over my breakfast (which I'd PAID for in my room rate!), nor would any decent hotel keep a guest waiting thirty minutes while they pathetically shuffled their feet instead of solving the problem in an efficient, polite way.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank ComoCarla19
Salisbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Each of the hotel's rooms is decorated in its own individual style. The staff is polite and attentive. This was our second stay and we enjoyed it immensely. There is free breakfast which we found to be good. Very clean and well located close to the zocalo.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Pinkysenor
Mexico City
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel is for those who like something different from the normal chain hotels. Our room was small but beautifully decorated. Breakfast was included and while simple, very nice. I can't say what the other rooms are like but there are picturest available on the Internet. Ours was la casa olinala quetzal. It was right in front of the pool and there was noise so I would ask for something quieter. Overall setting beautiful, pool small but very warm and no problem finding chairs. Overall service excellent.

• Stayed November 2011