“Great Decor, Service Left Much to Be Desired”

Hotel Boutique La Casa Azul
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Cuernavaca
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed here for one night in January, 2012. I booked a junior suite using Expedia and paid about $150 CAD for the night. I found the hotel easily and the location was good for my day of sightseeing. My room was nicely decorated, although it didn't offer the "shower/bathtub combination" or "soaker tub" that were listed as features on Expedia. It also didn't have a "kitchen", which is listed as a "Room Amenity" (NOT a "Hotel Amenity") on Expedia. Oh well, it was pretty and comfortable. The lobby area of the hotel was gorgeous as well, with lots of comfortable sofas, greenery and a swimming pool which didn't seem to get any use.

Unfortunately, service at this hotel fell way short. My reservation with Expedia included a continental breakfast, but when I went to the restaurant in the morning I didn't see anything that looked like a breakfast buffet, and there was no "Continental Breakfast" (or anything similar; I do speak Spanish) on the menu. I went back to the hotel and asked about the included breakfast, and they told me it was not included. I made it very clear that I had paid a rate including breakfast, but they wouldn't budge, and I didn't have a copy of the reservation on me (I'd booked the night before from an internet cafe). I went back to the restaurant where the waiter asked if I had a "coupon"... this was a huge red flag that guests should be getting their breakfasts included. I said I didn't have one, ate one of their least expensive breakfasts in the restaurant and paid for it, then when I was out sightseeing I popped into another internet cafe to print my original reservation. When I later presented it to the front desk staff, they huffed and puffed and said that they couldn't have known my reservation included breakfast. I presented them with my breakfast receipt, and then they argued over the fact that the food I'd ordered cost more than a continental breakfast. If there'd been a continental breakfast on the menu I would have ordered it! It's not there! The front desk staff seriously stood around pondering what to do for about thirty minutes before making some motions towards issuing a refund but then trying to get out of it by saying they didn't have the correct change for me. Luckily, I had lots of change and thirty minutes later I walked out for good.

Casa Azul was really, really, really beautiful. They're going for a five-star look, and they've achieved it. But no five-star, four-star or even three-star hotel would nickel and dime their customers the way the front staff did over my breakfast (which I'd PAID for in my room rate!), nor would any decent hotel keep a guest waiting thirty minutes while they pathetically shuffled their feet instead of solving the problem in an efficient, polite way.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank ComoCarla19

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Each of the hotel's rooms is decorated in its own individual style. The staff is polite and attentive. This was our second stay and we enjoyed it immensely. There is free breakfast which we found to be good. Very clean and well located close to the zocalo.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Pinkysenor
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel is for those who like something different from the normal chain hotels. Our room was small but beautifully decorated. Breakfast was included and while simple, very nice. I can't say what the other rooms are like but there are picturest available on the Internet. Ours was la casa olinala quetzal. It was right in front of the pool and there was noise so I would ask for something quieter. Overall setting beautiful, pool small but very warm and no problem finding chairs. Overall service excellent.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 31, 2011

So we moved from another hotel to this one: WHAT A CHANGE! This place is just amazing. I especially loved the decor and service. The concierge was the nicest, most helpful gentleman. We stayed there for a wedding and they arranged for a stylist to come and do my hair and makeup. Breakfast was also excellent. You kind of get the feeling you're in your own little private hacienda...with a few guests you don't know, but everyone is so nice, that you really feel at ease and peaceful, even though it's located right smack in the middle of downtown. This turned out to be quite convenient to go sightseeing and to go for dinner the night before the wedding. I just can't wait to go back and get some R&R. Loved it. Note: our travel date was March 2010, but Nov 2010 was the earliest date on the review box.

Room Tip: Stay at Casa Oaxaca (or was it Casa Coyoacan?) it's right next to the pool and it is very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stayed for 6 days absolutely loved the place!! comfortable, clean friendly and helpful staff quiet and beautiful, authentic Mexican decoration, such a beautiful property and best of all staff willing to help all the time,we felt very safe staying here, parking is a little small but ok most of all... very safe parking with an electric gate which made us feel safe every time we arrived at the hotel, a little oasis in the middle of busy downtown Cuernavaca we will be back no doubt, Roberto and Jaime very helpful and kind. I always look at hotels reviews before staying at a hotel and the reviews of this hotel are accurate.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mariacjones
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I returned again with my son. I can in April. This time I stayed in the room called Casa TzinTzunTzan. I could not beleive the beauty of this room. Service was the best, the food better than last time. It was good before, but even better now. Proces are still very reasonable. I will come back

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Unfortunately, I had only one night to spend here, but from what I saw it is an excellent hotel. My room was very nice: clean, spacious, and decorated with nice local art. The bathroom was gorgeous. My only complaints were that I couldn't get the wireless Internet working, but I didn't bother asking for help as it was simply too late. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2011