“Its hard to pass up on an Icon”

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We picked up the boat before Chiapa de Corzo. We saw the crocodile, some in our party thought is was real, some thought it was fake. We passed a group of people swimming in the Canyon. Would you swim knowing there are crocodiles in the water? The Canyon is pictured in commercials and is a highlight and part of the culture of the area but like others mentioned, there was a LOT of trash. We pulled into one area that they call the " cave of colors" its nice but the entire area was floating trash. On the way back I saw up on the bank tons of plastic bottles as if they collected the trash but just put it up on land. Still i must say this is a must do. You can take the boat out Chiapa de Corzo, I think it is a better option than St Cristobal. Chiapa de Corzo is a nice small town and closer. Same cultural aspects but you wont have as many tourist to speak with and no coffee roasting in your presence. We paid 165 pesos for the boat tour. We drove ourselves and paid 10 pesos to park( we didnt take the boat from Chiapa de corzo) I do suggest doing that.

There are newer reviews for Sumidero Ecotourism Park

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family toured Sumidero Canyon and we were all shocked at the amounts of trash that clogged the waterway and made it hard to enjoy what was once a beautiful place. Huge piles of floating water bottles line the shore and we saw very little wild life.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I'm afraid I'm gonna blow the whistle and tell the truth. Canyon Sumidero WAS once a beautiful place, but unfortunately is no longer. The other end of the canyon has an electric dam which basically means the water is completely dead. The place is filled with incredible amounts of trash and paying 180 pesos (as all foreign tourists do??) for that ride makes you wonder why they don't do an effort to clean it up.
The canyon itself is a beautiful sight, but the wildlife is very limited, the trash overwhelming and - please don't be fooled, the crocodile is a fake.

1  Thank Monolov
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Visited the canyon on the afternoon of 11/2/11 via the boat service on the embarcadero in Chiapa de Corzo. The waterfront is very built up with restaurant/bars with waiters hawking you to come sit down for a drink while you wait. I avoided the guys approaching for boat tours (although I think they’re all legit and quote the same price of 160 pesos ($12 usd, and includes the 25 peso National Park Fee) and headed to the central area where there’s a formal desk to sign up for the tour. Hung around and drank a beer for about 30 minutes until they started calling names – then headed up to the desk, paid and received my ticket. Followed all the Mexicans (not a lot of gringos when I visited) down to the boat and traded my ticket for a National Park wristband and life jacket. Boats were fast and the driver stopped after about 15 minutes of zipping downriver at the bridge to Tuxtla overhead and then started stopping every 5 minutes or so to point out waterfalls, crocodiles, the highest point in the canyon, monkeys, caves, etc. Obviously this was all in Spanish and being a typical monolinguist American I missed all the details. After about an hour and 15 minutes we reached the damn end and another lecture on the hydro-electro power created there. Then we turned around and headed back to the docks with only one or two stops on the way back. 2 hours nearly exact round trip. The main sight is the “Christmas Tree” waterfall and the boat captain made sure to drive the boat right next to it (coming and going) for the mist effect and reaction among tourists. Note that you can bring a bucket of sodas or beers on the boat that the restaurant sell for about $5usd, but our boat never stopped on the tour for a bathroom break so keep that in mind. But bring something to drink, a snack and your camera, sit back and enjoy. A great value at $12USD.

1  Thank TJKNewJersey
Reviewed August 19, 2010

If you like natural beauty, this is not to be missed. The boat trip lasts about 2 hours and costs around $20 usd per person if you go in a shared boat (seats 15 people). You get to see waterfalls, wild crocodiles, monkeys (if you're lucky) and the beauty of the canyon. Our young children loved the excitement of the boat ride.