“Amazing”
Review of Paricutin Volcano

More attraction details
Owner description: This volcano was born on March 4, 1943 and is one of the youngest volcanoes in the world.
North Bergen, New Jersey
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Definitely a must-do
You can contact a tour from the hotel or "CAT" office located across the street from the plaza. Typical price to the ruins is 500 pesos/person. If you wish to ride horses for the final leg of the trip it's an additional 150-200 pesos/person. This tour, however, is NOT to the actual crater. When reserving the tour, you have to specify to the crater. And it's more money for the horses, but not sure how much more. The horse riding is optional and makes the trip a bit faster. If you do plan on using the horses, wear extra padding because you'll be riding in wooden saddles.
From Angahuan to ruins ~ 30 mins on horse back
According to tour guide:
From ruins to crater on horse back: 2.5 hrs
From ruins to crater walking: 4 hrs
And that's one-way

Our tour guide was great. Very friendly and patient. Very accomodating and didn't mind taking pictures for us. Also very safe and not sketchy at all.

Facebook la catrina tours

Visited November 2013
4 Thank kjkjkj2013

Ifrane, Morocco
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Panoramic Paricutin”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Unlike other reviews here, if you have been traveling around Mexico for a while you can get a good idea of how much to pay a guide for a day tour of anything. I don't think I paid any more than 250 pesos for the day--and it was about a 6 hour roundtrip including a stop at the lava-filled church and a hike to the rim of the volcano.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with hiring a guide on the street corner after you get off the bus as long as you know how to bargain and have a good idea of what a fair price is. $25-30 seemed very fair to me, considering all the walking we did.

It would have taken me alot longer to find an easy/ manageable route across the extensive lava field and up the cone if I hadn't had a guide. Paricutin is not to be missed, so don't pass it up because of worries about security or penny pinching. So I say help support the locals who have the motivation to go out and meet the bus from Uruapan.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank Kolinstravels
Ajijic, Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Safe. Beautiful. Well worth the trip!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We almost didn't go because of negative security reports for the state of Michoacan but we are so glad to have not listened to all that hype! We drove from Guad to Morelia to Patzcuaro to Uruapan to Angahuan, where the Volcano is located. Felt 100% safe and all of these places are fabulous. I think we were the only Euro/American tourists in the area, which was sad for the locals who depend on foreign money but good for us (there were plenty of Mexican tourists, though). On arrival at Angahuan, we were "ambushed" by a guide who turned out to be very nice and we organized our stay through him. There are 3 places to stay ranging between 200 and 350 pesos for two people. Very simple but clean and with lots of local ambiance! Though we didn't stay at this hotel, we ate dinner at the one with a restaurant (in village - orangy outside wall). For 150 pesos, the two of us had delicious meals, hot chocolates and a shot of tequila (for warmth!). We arranged for 2 horses + hike to rim of the volcano with guide for 330 pesos per person (2 x 330p) leaving at 8am, which included the guide and the cost of his horse, too. Smart to leave early morning if going to rim in the summer (rainy months)! Our horses were great as was our guide. Of course he wanted an extra tip at the end (though we had negotiated the 330 per person was inclusive of tip) and so we obliged. The ride out to the volcano is about 3 hours but we did a lot of galloping. The hike up the volcano is super steep but we're pretty strong walkers so did it in about 40 minutes. The slide down first seems scary but it is really fun and takes about 10 minutes max. Go and enjoy this beautiful part of Mexico. They so need our tourist dollars and it is an exceptional opportunity to experience something off the beaten path! Oh, the church at San Juan is beautiful (but too many people there on a Sunday afternoon so it lost a bit of charm because of that). If you just go to the church, you can do a short and easy horse ride of like 30 minutes or hike it on clear trails.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Laura F
Quebec City, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great adventure”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We did the big tour (8 hours) on horse. The price was 500 pesos and I know that it would have be easy to bargain it but 500 pesos = 40US for an horse, a guide for a long and a hot day was very cheap if I compare to what I can do for 40$ in North america.

The trip itself is surreal. There's lava fields every corner. In the middle of nowhere we stopped to eat in a small cantina surround by aguacaste trees.

Then you arrive at the volcano. Our young guide show us a lot of thing surrounding the volcano before the ascension.

At the top of it you have an amazing view from inside and from the pueblos all around it.

This was a beautiful day at the Paricutin

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Ghistos
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful java fields and bad guide, be careful!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I took a bus from Uruapan at 7 o'clock and reached Angahuan at 8 o'clock. When i got out, i was greeted by a local guide from the street corner of the bus stop. I walked to the tourist office which is only 100 meters from the bus stop. But the tourist office was closed. The guide told me that the tourist office is closed and guided me to another (fake) tourist office. The man in the fake tourist office gave me exactly the same information about prices and tours like the local guide. I booked a walking tour to the volcano and the view at the java fields and the church was awesome. I climbed to the summit without my guide because he did not like it. When i came back the real tourist office was opened and the lady in the office gave me the correct information about prices, tours etc.. The tourist office is opened from 10 to 19 o'clock. I got the information that the guide overcharged me. Please don't hire a guide from the street corner at the bus stop!

Visited May 2013