“Terrific rides”

Mountain Bike Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Bike Oaxaca is located 15 minutes outside of Oaxaca city in the foothills of San Pablo Etla. We offer the best single track rides for active riders to enjoy. All of our bicycles are upper end dual suspension with disc brakes.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I did two great rides with Carlos on a Saturday and a Sunday, including single track, double track, roads, interesting pueblos, challenging climbs, and beautiful views. He was patient teaching the techniques of mountain biking to a roadie, so learned a lot. I plan to go back on my next trip to Oaxaca.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

If you want to experience more of Oaxaca than just the city, I highly recommend a mountain bike ride with Carl of Mountain Bike Oaxaca. A friend and I were staying at a B&B in the hills above Oaxaca, and Carl's place was nearby--perfect for an afternoon ride. The bikes were top-notch (full suspension) and excellently maintained; and Carl had helmets, gloves and water for us. Our route took us through a small community and up into the San Pablo hills on a variety of trails that were the perfect blend of challenge and fun. We rode on dirt roads, wide trails, and skinny single track, with some technical climbs and descents. Carl has lived here for years and knows all the great trails. We couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Mtn Bike Oaxaca provides some great single track rides and for an excellent price!! I was visiting Oaxaca city and wanted to get out to the mountains for some single track. I contacted Carlos (extranjero from California who can give tours in both English or Spanish) and was pleased to find out he had no problem riding with me even though I was not with a group (although he does group rides as well). From the city, you can take an inexpensive taxi to where he's at, or if you're on a tight budget, you can do what I did and take a pesero bus from Oaxaca city for 5 pesos! Find one that says "Pueblo Nuevo" or "Viguera", or I'm sure someone at your Hostal or Hotel can assist you in getting to Crucero de la Viguera. Once there, you can walk about a half hour or take a moto taxi the rest of the way for 5-10 pesos.
The riding itself was top notch, and Carlos was a great guide and good company! For me, he was able to completely customize the ride to what I wanted. In about 3.5 hours of beasting a TOP OF THE LINE, sick @ss, full suspension, tubeless (very necessary) Trek 29er, we climbed a couple thousand feet, earning the sick downhills! He can also provide shuttles up hill if desired, but I prefer to EARN my downhills! He took pictures for no extra cost, and we even stopped for some awesome local breakfast after the ride!
All in all, I couldn't have been more pleased with the equipment, the riding, or the price. Highly recommended single track tours which I will definitely be paying another visit to when in Oaxaca! Two thumbs up Carlos!

3  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This is the best outfit in Oaxaca for intermediate to expert riders.

Carlos (Carl) lives right near some excellent singletrack trails. You take a 15-minute taxi over to his place, where he supplies you with a well-maintained bike. He caters to individuals or groups who have some experience and can handle a good day out in the trails.

We did 20+ miles of intense climbing, juicy single-track descents, slow rolling hills and more. The scenery was amazing. In short, if you have a full-suspension mountain bike back home and know how to use it, mountain biking with Carlos will be a day well-spent.

2  Thank ScottFunTravels
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Wanting to explore the country side of Oaxaca, my husband and I decided to hire and guide and mountain bikes for the day. After trying Zona Bici which is listed in the lonely planet as running 4 hour tours, we were advised they no longer ran the tours, but they passed on Carlos details (http://www.mountainbikeoaxaca.com) The ride was amazing to say the least. Though it was a stroll in the park for Carlos, both my husband (not so fit) and I (relatively fit) had a great challenging and enjoyable ride from Carlos home to the sister city of Monte Alban (around 35-40km round trip). The view at the top of the mountain, and the joy of riding through all the villages along the way was interesting and also educational. Carlos was a fantastic guide, and though from previous reviews has catered to advanced riders, he really bought it down to our level, and he got is spot on. Thank you so much Carlos for such a wonderful day.

3  Thank KateandRhys