“This place is incredible!!!”
Review of Tentaciones Hotel

Tentaciones Hotel
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed February 22, 2011

My wife and I just returned from our 4 day stay at Hotel Tentaciones. We spent 3 nights and 4 full days here for our honeymoon and enjoyed every minute of it. It is worth noting that my wife and I are avid travelers and have been lucky enough to stay at some pretty incredible places around the world. This is the first time we have felt that a hotel (good or bad) was deserving of a review on TripAdvisor. Hotel Tentaciones is the best place we have ever stayed at, hands down! Every good review for this property is 100% legit. The scenery is incredible, the rooms are beautiful and the views are amazing. It is the staff at this resort which makes the stay unforgettable. Salvador, the general manager, and his team understand service and do a tremendous job of working seamlessly to provide excellent customer service and make their guests feel welcome and comfortable.

My wife and I were looking for a place to relax and unwind after our wedding. Hotel Tentaciones is a luxury boutique hotel with just 4 rooms. It has a breathtaking pool that overlooks the entire bay and surrounding town. The rooms, really suites, are very spacious and all have amazing views with lots of light and access to fresh air. The attention to detail is incredible both in the architecture and the way they maintain their rooms. The cocktails are delicious and so is the guacamole. We ordered fresh mojitos and tamarin margaritas that were unreal!

The restaurant at Tentaciones is absolutely incredible. They carry over all of the amazing features about the Hotel into dinner each night, including; outstanding service, incredible attention to detail and amazing views of the sunset. The food is oustanding. Each course has unique ingredients and flavors that are all very fresh. The fixed menu is expensive but worth every penny. We dined at the hotel every night we were there and we were never disappointed.

* A couple of tips about the surrounding area. The beach at La Ropa is about a 10-15 minute walk. We stayed at the pool at the hotel each day as we felt there was no need to leave. However, we spent 4 nights at the Tides Hotel which is on La Ropa and the beach is quite nice with good swimming and various restaurants and bars. Other good restaurants nearby include: Amuleto Hotel (similar to Hotel Tentaciones but not quite expensive) La Perla Restaurant at La Ropa beach is good. Coconuts in downtown Zihuat has great dinner and a very nice outdoor terrace for dining. Lety's is VERY overrated and the coconut shrimp are average. We heard great things about Tangos, just down the street from Tentaciones but did not go. Casa Que Canta Hotel, about a five minute walk from Tentaciones, is beautiful but very very expensive. Better to go for drinks and an appetizer than dinner. The town of Zihuat is very charming and make sure to check out the Sunday evening market as all of the locals get together.

We are already looking forward to our next trip to Tentaciones. We cannot thank Salvador and his staff enough for all of their incredible service. The Hotel truly is paradise and we will be back again!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BornToTravel36
There are newer reviews for Tentaciones Hotel

Reviewed February 17, 2011

We found Hotel Tentaciones through Trip Advisor (thank you to everyone for the helpful reviews!) and stayed there for a week in October to celebrate our 5th anniversary. We normally stay at all-inclusive resorts any time we travel to Mexico (Royal Hideaway in Playa Car for our honeymoon, which was amazing) but we decided to try a new type of "experience" and loved what Hotel Tentaciones had to offer. This hotel does not disappoint. It's located on a hill in beautiful Zihuatenjo (a cute little fishing town with very friendly people) and has the most amazing views.

When we first arrived Herwin offered us a drink (the best mango margaritas ever...I had at least one every day along with the homemade, straight-from-the-kitchen pico de gallo and guacamole) and then showed us around the hotel. We originally reserved the Alejandra room (which is beautiful) but they upgraded us to the Thalia suite because of our anniversary! I can't say enough about how beautiful our room was. It was generously spacious (huge bathroom and great double shower) and had a great little balcony where we would watch the sun set over the cliffs every night before dinner. Every day one of the housekeepers would create a flower arrangement on our bed (I so looked forward to seeing what she was going to do every day!). The first day she had written "Happy 5th anniversary" (I can't imagine how long it took her to do that) and then another day she'd created 2 large hearts with our initials in each of the hearts. It's small touches like this that makes this hotel so remarkable. But what really makes this hotel stand out above any other place we've ever stayed is the service. You literally make friends with the entire staff and everyone is beyond helpful and friendly. Truly, you feel like you are staying at a wealthy friend's villa instead of a hotel. We had a great time getting to know Salvador, Herwin, Pablo, and Oscar and were very sad to say goodbye when we left.

I want to give a special call out to both Salvador and Herwin. Both of them contributed to making our stay at Hotel Tentaciones so amazing. Salvador treated us like we had been friends for years and even offered to take my husband and me to the grocery store one day since he was headed that way anyway. Herwin went above and beyond one morning when my husband and I had made a reservation to go deep see fishing (Herwin made all the recommendations and arrangements). He normally doesn’t arrive to work until 8 or 9 but he was waiting for us by the front door at 6:30 am with fruit and pastries for breakfast and a bag of sandwhiches for lunch. He then accompanied us in the taxi down to the fishing dock, introduced us to the boat captain, and made sure everything was alright before heading back to the hotel! You don’t get this kind of personal attention at other hotels. Other hotels would have made the reservation, called us a cab, and said “have fun.” This is just one example that makes Hotel Tentiones such a gem.

Food:
Every meal that we had in Zihuatenejo was unbelievable (which was surprising to me for being in Mexico). We ate dinner at the hotel twice and both times were amazing…food that you'd expect to get at a 5 star restaurant (compliments of Chef Mario). We also ate at Espuma (owned by Hotel Tentaciones), Il Mare (great little medeteranian resturant 10 steps from the hotel), and Banditos (inexpensive mexican food – great salsa made at your table)! We had breakfast at the hotel every morning (pastries, yogurt, and fruit is included) but you can also order other things if you like. We were craving huevos rancheros and had it 3 out of the 5 mornings we were there! Order it with “verde chili” if you like it spicy! Most days we had lunch at the hotel which was amazing. Basically, anything you want, they’ll make. On the day we’d gone deep sea fishing, we caught a 40 pound mahi mahi and brought it back to the hotel kitchen (which was so great because many other hotels wouldn’t allow you to do this). With the fish we caught, Mario made us mahi mahi fish tacos one day with cilantro and lime (FABULOUS) and then mahi mahi sushi with an awesome oil sauce another day.

Things to do:
We really just laid around at the Hotel pool most of the time (the view is so gorgeous that it was hard to get out of the lounge chair)! We did go to into town one day and shopped along the little market (across the street from Banditos) which is the perfect place to find little gifts or trinkets. Another day we went deep sea fishing, which is totally worth it if you love being out on the ocean. We heard the catamaran sunset cruise was awesome but didn’t go because we’d already been out on the ocean all day (they only offer the sunset cruise on Tuesdays and Fridays in the low season). Another day we went to the spa at Cappella which is a resort hotel outside of Xtapa (30 minute cab ride). If you love a true spa experience (steam room, jacuzzi tub, suana, massage, pedicure, manicure, facials, etc) then you should go here. The massage is the best one I’ve ever had. The hotel is amazing as well, overlooking cliffs with beautiful infinity pools and great food.

Bottom line, if you want an amazing unforgettable experience unlike any other, Hotel Tentaciones is the place. Both the town and the hotel are breathtaking. I honestly don't think I'll ever go anywhere else in Mexico again. How can anywhere else compare to this beautiful paradise?

We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skeiter23
Reviewed January 12, 2011

It pains me to write this review, because to do so requires me to admit that our heavenly trip is over.

Tentaciones is the perfect hotel for travelers looking to experience something special. And by "special" I mean, the type of hotel where the staff knows your name, where the views knock you off your feet EVERY time, and where you instantly relax the moment you set foot on the property. We spent 10 nights at Tentaciones for our honeymoon and loved every moment of our stay.

Note, Tentaciones may not be for everyone. Those looking for a more "generic" vacation experience should consider the mega-hotels in Ixtapa or some of the larger properties in Zihua.

Oh, and a note about Zihua. It's lovely. The food is fantastic. Beaches are not what you get in the Caribbean, but the fabulous infinity pool at Tentaciones is ideal... we didn't miss the white sand beaches for a minute.

Thank you to Salvador and his fantastic team. We'll be back!

2  Thank diana444
Reviewed January 9, 2011

HOTEL REVIEW # 181

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Excellent. I’ve stayed at many highly rated tripadvisor hotels all over the world and the view from this property is the very best I’ve experienced. The view wraps around the common area so its not a typical front view only. Also, the view at night is just as remarkable as during the day. The beach is about a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel (not a charming walk as it’s a fairly busy road with not much to see on the way).

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Fixed price taxis are available at the airport. Be sure to go directly to the counter after baggage claim and right before leaving the airport. Be sure to speak only to the counter staff as the timeshare people will try to sway you into taking a ride with them. The ride was about 20 minutes.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Alejandra suite.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: The mattress was not W hotel luxurious with down bedding below the sheets. The mattress is definitely a bit harder than I would have liked but it was still very comfortable. The sheets were very good although one night we had one that we felt was a bit ‘scratchy’. The pillows were too thick and they had no down pillows available even after requesting them.

LIGHTING: The lighting is excellent in the bedroom & bathroom.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: The bathroom is beautiful, just like the pictures on the website. The outdoor shower could have the world’s best shower view! The water pressure is good. This room has showers and both are rain showers… would have liked to have had an option to have a standard shower (attached to the wall) instead for nights we didn’t want to get our hair wet. Difficult to complain with the awesome view!

TOILETRIES: Bulgari toiletries are excellent!

CLEANLINESS: The entire hotel was spotless.

A/C: Worked great and got the room cool quickly and quietly.

STYLE OF ROOM: Outstanding. The pebbled floor you see in the website pictures is actually a water fountain! The room is nicer than the pictures.

COMMON AREA: I’ve already mentioned the incredible view from the common area. The pool is beautiful as well although sometimes I found it a bit too cold. On a hot day and once in the water, it felt fine and very refreshing. I would have used the pool more often if it was warmer. One big disappointment is that the pool lounging area is the same as the dining area. They will never ask you to leave, but sometimes as early as 3pm, they were setting up tables all around us. We just felt uncomfortable with this and especially when dinner guests would start to arrive and we were still in our bathing suits. I’m not too sure how they can fix this and I wouldn’t let this stop you from staying here.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: The room was very quiet until about 9am when we would start hearing the lounge chairs being setup in the morning. The Alejandra room is directly below the tables so the noise of steps and moving furniture is quite loud. Also, the morning sunlight cannot be blocked since the window coverings are too thin and the light shines right through. Once we woke up, we felt that we weren’t able to go back to sleep

FOOD: Very good. Breakfast consists of yogurt, granola, fruit (typically melons), excellent French pressed coffee and home made bread. They will also make you other items with advance notice. We had lunch and dinner and found the food ranging from very good to outstanding (and we are VERY picky about food quality).

TV/INTERNET: This suite has a TV with satellite that we never used. There is no internet connection in the room or in the common areas. To me this was a big disappointment and an easy fix. There is wifi in the dining area closer to reception and a computer that is available for use at no charge in their office behind reception.

SERVICE: Salvador is a master at providing the best service imaginable. 181 TA hotel reviews (and I don’t review domestic hotels anymore) and he delivers the best service we have ever experienced at any hotel. We did have a few issues, but he will more than make up for it to the point you will be glad the problems happened in the first place. Small issues delivered huge apologies and things provided that made us beyond impressed. I’ve always thought that you can make people happier when problems exist by taking care of it properly. Most hotels don’t deliver, Tentaciones (and Salvador) does. I’m not even going to go into all the amazing things he did for us to leave them as surprises while you are there. All the staff constantly makes sure that you are happy but it’s never intrusive… just perfect!

SUMMARY: I checked out Casa Que Canta, Tides, and Villa Mexicana and Tentaciones impressed me the most in terms of common area as well as the view. I think they may have the best view lot in all of Zihua. The main beach was just OK so we spent most of our time on the loungers at the hotel. Beaches are dime a dozen but this view may not be found again. I also looked at the Thalia room and I think I prefer Alejandra. The view from Thalia is better but the room is smaller and the balcony is less private. Either way you will be very pleased. I definitely recommend staying at Tentaciones for the excellent common area, room, and over the top outstanding service… you will be happy you did.

3  Thank TravelSnob1
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Everything you read in the reviews is more than accurate. We were greeted as very important guests and left feeling like family. The staff here are role models for 5 star service. Nothing is too much trouble, they are there when you need anything and not at all obstrusive.

We stayed in the Ana Catalina suite and LOVED it. Nothing much had been written about it so we thought maybe it wouldn't be as good. We were wrong. The room is extremely private, large and has a wonderful patio with breathtaking views.

We have always stayed on the beach and did not miss it at all. It was a simple 5 minute walk, coming back is a bit of a hike but we appreciated the exercize.

We had dinner at Tentaciones on New Years ever..it was exquisite. They always have a fixed menu..and the food is very good. The only thing I think I missed was having a more flexible restaurant so if you wanted a little lunch or lite supper you could get it without leaving. That said you can order lunch a day ahead and quesadilla's and guacamole are always available. Also..we felt given the service and beauty is was a minor issue. Oh...and drinks are always available and very good.

This was a splurge for us and we do not regret it...we have traveled to many places and this is one of our favorites.

Don't hesitate, just make the reservation.

Reviewed December 21, 2010

I have been telling my husband about Zihuatanejo for the last twenty years and as this year was a BIG birthday he finally booked us for a week's holiday staying at Tentaciones. From the moment we arrived, Herwin greeted us with such warmth, a beer and a margarita! We were shown to our suite which was just stunning. The thing that my husband and I liked about the hotel was that it was small - ie four rooms only - but everything was so beautifully done. From the crisp bedlinen to the continental breakfast, the five course evening meal to the friendly helpful staff. Salvatore, the general manager, is just fabulous and nothing is too much trouble...he makes a mean guacamole! The views from the balcony are stunning and pictures just don't do it justice. In the evening you can sit by the pool...listening to some very chilled music and drink perfectly chilled wine.

I can highly recommend this hotel, their staff and the service they give to their guests. It's expensive but worth every penny. Salvatore, we will be back! Thank you to you and the staff for making this trip such a memorable experience - which will stay with us for the rest of our lives.

Adios Amigos...until the next time ...Santosh & Peter

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2010

My husband and I spent an incredible 10 days at Tentaciones for our honeymoon in early November of this year. I really can't put into words what a great time we had and how fantastic Tentaciones was. We stayed in the Thalia suite, which was gorgeous...the bathroom with its double shower was huge, and I'm still missing the enormous bed; it's better than the one we have at home! With the AC and the ability to close off the room to the outside, we were very comfortable at night. The best part of the room was its location; we could walk right out onto the pool deck and had our own personal lounger there. And oh my goodness, the pool! So awesome, with beautiful views!

What really set Tentaciones apart, in my opinion, was the outstanding service. Right when we got there Herwin gave us a little tour and took care of our bags, and he always made sure we had everything we needed. We had a great time talking with Pablo and Oscar and they took great care of us as well. And Salvador...I can't say enough good things about him. He was always there taking care of us, and by the end of the trip we felt like family! He would often have our favorite drinks waiting for us when we came back at night, and one night he delivered to our room the chocolate dessert they were making for restaurant guests that night because he remembered how much I love chocolate. He also took my husband to a local gym in his own car when he wanted to work out one day.

Speaking of the restaurant, oh my goodness. We ate dinner at Tentaciones twice and it was SO delicious. Mario, the chef, is so incredibly talented. Every course was perfection. It was pretty expensive, but so worth it...we ate at other places all over Zihua every night except for those two, and no place even came close to Tentaciones. We also had snacks poolside a couple times during our stay and everything was so delicious and fresh...especially the guacamole and pico!

We were so sad to leave Tentaciones...the first morning I didn't get to roll out of bed and eat fresh fruit, granola, yogurt and fresh-squeezed juice while looking out over the bay was so depressing! We are still missing it! I can honestly say there's nothing I'd change about the place...its location is also perfect; it's about 20 minutes to the airport, a 5-minute walk to the beach and a 5-10 minute walk into downtown. They also have wi-fi if you're close to the office and a wired computer available for your use, and a great selection of TV channels (we watched CSI: Miami before bed every night!). We had a fabulous time and I'd recommend Tentaciones to anyone a million times over. Such a great value for your money, we'll definitely be back!

And a word about Zihua in general...I'd definitely recommend it if you want an authentic Mexican experience. We went to Ixtapa one night and stayed for like an hour because it was soooo touristy and commercial. Zihua is a much smaller town, not much nightlife...but lots of amazing authentic restaurants, great shopping, and such nice people! We never felt unsafe, and everyone we met was so friendly. Adan, who drives cab number 033, returned a camera we had left in the backseat to us...he came running back to the restaurant to give it back to us. I'd definitely recommend him. And Felipe (who sets up shop on La Ropa) can hook you up with pretty much any outdoor thing you want to do...jet skis, kayaking, horseback riding...at very fair prices. Things/places we'd also wholeheartedly recommend: Las Gatas, the sunset cruise on the Picante (Salvador can give you the info), La Papa Loca (GREAT baked potatoes for hardly any money at all and Coronas for 15 pesos!), Braceros (authentic Mexican food), Il Mare (Italian)...so many more I can't remember!

Anyway, if you're on the fence about Tentaciones...DO IT! You won't regret it!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple