“Beautiful Property, Great Service”
Review of Tentaciones Hotel

Tentaciones Hotel
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Kansas City, Missouri
“Beautiful Property, Great Service”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent four nights at Tentaciones for a long weekend getaway (from the Kansas City cold). I booked the hotel because I was looking for something quiet, peaceful, and romantic. Tentaciones was the perfect choice.

It is a four-suite boutique property designed by a local architect who designed several properties in the area. The hotel is set on the hill between Playa Madera and Playa la Ropa. It is walking distance to both beaches and to downtown (but a cab is only 30 pesos - about $2.80). The setting and the view from the pool and restaurant area are just stunning. It affords a 200 degree view of the Zihu Bay and town. The same area includes an infinity pool interwoven with a coy pond complete with lilies. Bordering the pool and pond is the outdoor restaurant area that is opened to non-hotel guests only for dinner (at which time the area is transformed into an outdoor lounge). (We ate at the restaurant. It was wonderful, and I will review it separately on T.A.)

The rooms are quite large and comfortable. They are sparsely furnished, but appropriately so for the setting. There are nice touches such as flower petals on the bed and candles lit in the room each night. The rooms are quiet and very private. Only one of the suites (Thalia) takes full advantage of the view of the Bay, but the building was clearly designed for guests to enjoy the exterior from the pool area rather than the rooms. All of the rooms are air conditioned. Breakfast comes with every room and consists of granola, yogurt, and fresh fruit. If you want something else, they will make it for you.

There is no charge for internet access. Bottled water is free. We weren't "nickeled and dimed" by the hotel. It's a nice change from most of my recent hotel experiences.

The manager of the hotel, Daniel, went out of his way whenever he had the opportunity to improve our stay. Everyone we interacted with at the hotel as well as its sister property, Villa Guadelupe, were great. We didn't have a single request that wasn't addressed right away. (I like lime with my papaya. I asked for it during breakfast once and it was there the next three days without having to ask.) If I owned a hotel, I'd hire these guys.

Because the Tentaciones restaurant is not open for lunch, frequently during the afternoon there was no one other than guests at the hotel. And we were the only guest two of the four nights we were there. It wasn't a problem for us, but if you expect someone to constantly man a blender pumping out frozen margaritas, you will be disappointed. From about 11:00 a.m. until about 6:00 p.m., we were on our own. To address it, we asked for a fridge for our room. We got one, filled it with beer, and problem solved.

The property was very safe and secure. The entire city felt safe. Not once did we even feel uncomfortable. I highly recommend both Tentaciones the hotel and Zihua generally.

Room Tip: Thalia is clearly the best option of the four suites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravlinDude

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Clearly, there are 65 reviews ahead of mine that are all 5 star. All I'm going to say, is this was hands down, the most amazing service and hotel experience I have ever had. It is worth every single penny spent. If you go, I highly recommend you have dinner at their restaurant. The view and ambiance is superior.

Room Tip: Ana Catalina was a wonderful room with great view and private balcony. Plus a double shower!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chryssi E
Philadelphia, Pa
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This review is LONG overdue – My husband and I stayed for 10 nights in the Thalia suite for our honeymoon in Dec 2010. I did a lot of research before booking our trip and I really felt like Tentaciones was the best value for a luxurious vacation.

We had an amazing time. It is truly one of the most unique, relaxing, and beautiful vacation spots. The staff was wonderful - Salvador, Pedro and Pablo are the friendliest, most welcoming people and made us feel very special throughout our stay. It actually felt like we were staying in someone’s house- not a hotel.

The food was amazing. The breakfast in the morning was very healthy and just enough. We wound up eating the full course dinner there about 4 or 5 of the nights. The other nights we ventured into town. In the afternoons we would snack on homemade guacamole poolside and the tamarind margaritas are to-die-for!

I will mention that a few of the nights there was an election or something going on in town and the music/noise really traveled up to our room and was going on into the early hours of the AM. The guest in the room below is said they didn’t hear anything so I just think it was where the Thalia room was situated on the hill. However it was only 2 nights where we were disturbed and all of the other wonderful things made up for it!

We would go back to stay there in heartbeat and hope to do so for an anniversary at some point in the future. Thank you Tentaciones for an unforgettable honeymoon and sorry for the delayed review!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mk81978
Seattle
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is our 5th time staying at Hotel Tentaciones and the only place that we find ourselves returning year after year. Why? Because it is simply the best place to unwind, relax, have impeccable service, phenomenal food (thanks to Chef Mario), and the most romantic view in the daytime and evening. Daniel is your concierge with the service of a Four Seasons pro and Salvador runs the restaurant which remains unparalled to any dining experience we've had in the US. If you want quiet, privacy, Mexican charm, and an ultra-stylish setting, Tentaciones is your place.

Room Tip: Our favorite room for privacy is Alejandra; however, Thalia is as romantic as it gets - reminded me...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maxis18
Mexico
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I were here for our anniversary. The service was amazing, thanks to the manager of the hotel, cant remember his name but hes at the hotel all day and at night at the restaurant.

It seemed like we were the only ones in the hotel. Not sure how many more rooms there were, but we had the room next to the pool, and we had this feeling it was our house. The views are breathtaking, the restaurant is one of the best and our room was huge and perfect. Great place if your are looking for a romantic getaway with luxury. Would love to go back.

Room Tip: Get the one on the pool floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Io A
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My wife and I travel annually to Zihua. We usually stay at Hotel Villa Guadalupe (a sister property to Tentaciones). (See my review of Villa Guadalupe including a video link - it's a great property itself!) But this year Villa Guadalupe was closed for the low season and so Daniel made arrangements for us at Tentaciones instead. We stayed in the Alejandra suite. This is a beautiful suite with a floor fountain in the "living room" area and a gorgeous outdoor shower overlooking the bay. We toured the other rooms and the Thalia suite is also outstanding with it's private balcony and semi-private terrace. I've uploaded photos of the beautiful place for you to see for yourself. And after 10 years visiting Zihua I can assure you that few (if any) locations have a better view and few (if any) locations offer better amenities or service. Daniel provides outstanding service for the hotel and the restaurant manager (Salvador) and staff (Pablo!) make staying and dining a real treat. In fact, my wife says she has rarely had a better prix fixe menu in our hometown of San Antonio, TX than we had at Tentaciones. The young chef here is doing amazing things. And don't miss the Tamarind Margaritas! They are unique and delicious, especially while lounging in the infinity pool.

Room Tip: Alejandra is most private, in my opinion, and the outdoor shower is an experience. But Thalia has t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed May 12, 2012

After hearing so good words about this place, we decided to to stay in Tentaciones for our so much needed vacation! It is really magic, the grounds are nice, you can feel heart in every detail of this property the owner invested. The view is magic from every angle of the hotel.
Hotel manager Daniel does outstanding job to satisfy your every need and beyond.
We stayed in Thalia suite, it is very specious, opens up to super view of Zihuatanejo, huge bathroom - but its better to see than describe;-).
Unfortunately we haven't have a chance to have a dinner here, but after seeing all preparations ,all transformations from hotel to 5 star restaurant, we wished we would have another night to try the food.
It was great stay and would recommend to anybody!

Room Tip: Thalia is the biggest and probably the most amazing room in the property, but in high season and ful...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple