“Ideal location, family run”

Bungalows La Madera
Ranked #3 of 56 Zihuatanejo B&B and Inns
BC
“Ideal location, family run”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This was our second time to Zihuatanejo, and the second time staying in the Madera area, but our first time staying at Bungalows La Madera (Nov 23-30). We had previously stayed in a pricier hotel and enjoyed the fact that Madera is so central we could walk almost anywhere we knew we would like to stay in the same area. With a toddler in tow on this vacation, we wanted a kitchenette, a pool and access to a family friendly beach and needless to say we quite happy with the price and location. We stayed in a new beach side suite and were not disappointed. Everything we needed was there and spent most of our days in the pool and on the beach. We prefer a smaller family run type of hotel vs. the all inclusive pampered vacation. Here are a few of the reasons Bungalows La Madera excelled....
Travelling with a toddler I was concerned that our accomodations would be safe enough for a very curious and energetic child...numerous emails before reserving gave us a run down of each suite and which one would probably work best for us (we of course were extremely happy with the one we chose)
When we were there it was the American Thanksgiving. The family who owns and runs the place invited all the guests staying there for a full home cooked meal (although we didn't stay our friends said it was absolutely delicious)...quite an undertaking and very thoughtful.
We were sitting at the airport for our return trip home when Mark came through the airport looking for us...we had left our iphone in our room accidently and when the cleaning staff found it, had brought it forward. The fact that Mark drove all the way to the airport trying to find us before we left (without us even knowing we had left it behind) was amazing to us.
All the staff (cleaning, maintenance) were very friendly and helpful. Although we feel safe in the area, having to use a key card to gain entrance to the hotel gave the extra peace of mind. We absolutely will be back to stay at Bungalows La Madera as it provided all we expected (and more)!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Deb G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Sask
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed at Bungalows La Madera from Nov 30 - Dec 7. This was our second time here, and enjoyed it even more than our first visit. This is a wonderful, central location - downtown or marina is a 5-10 minute walk. You can walk to La Ropa, even Las Gatas ( if you are adventurous). We stayed in one of the new suites (#12) (beachfront) and everything was perfect. We preferred this suite more than our last visit, which was hillside. The main reason is because we were much more central this time, which meant a lot less climbing stairs. (The hillside suites are excellent as well, just a few more stairs to climb). Our kitchen area has a frig, stove, microwave, coffee maker,toaster, plates, glasses, cutlery, pots & pans etc., bottled water, table & chairs, flat screen T.V., which you can flip around to watch in the bedroom area, which had a king size bed, 2 night stands, couch/bed, bench and closet and A/C. The bathroom had a huge walk-in shower and very spacious, with towels and hand soap supplied. The kitchen area has patio doors that open up to the deck, which has a hammock, end table and chairs, clothes drying rack, surrounded by beautiful plants and a lovely view of the beach.
Up 2 small flights of stairs (from our room) is the common area & pool. In the common area is a kitchen with sink, frig & stove, tables & chairs, books & magazines, bottled water & infinity pool, washroom, outdoor shower, bar-b-que. ( The only thing I would ask Mark, is if he could get a couple more lounge chairs) as there was only 2. While we were there, it really wasn't a problem, but in busier season, I'm sure more would be nice. If you stay in suite 13 or 14, your deck would basicly be the "common area" If you stay "hilltop" the common area is at the very top, with a spectacular view of the city on one side and breathtaking view of the bay on the other side. There are tables and chairs, pool table, washroom, bar-b-que.
I hope Mark and his family read this review, as I really want to say "Thank You" for such a wonderful stay. The prices are reasonable and if this stays the case, we will never have to look elsewhere for accomodations. Carmina, you are a sweetheart. Thank you so much for everything from check in to check out to calling our cab and getting us a great deal.
Keep up the good work! Also, your maintenance staff/ maid do a great job as well.
Until next year, Thank You!
As you can tell from our stay, I would highly recommend Bungalows La Madera, and each room is just a little bit different to suit the needs of anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lmanze
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was pleased with my stay here as while I didn't have the best in the house, the Platano was great for me. It has a small area with basic kitchen supplies, large king bed, desk area with view of pool and beach and a small shaded outdoor area with table and chairs. There is a great open dining/cooking area next to the pool area which was great for cooking some fish I got at the market. The beautiful beach was only 1 level down from my room and there are several places to eat along there. There's also a beach front walkway which leads to the town. There is a great little store on the street for supplies. Instant coffee, sugar and cooking oil is supplied. If you want fresh dripped coffee I suggest bringing some in a bag for the 1st morning. There's also a woman with a big basket who walks the street in the am selling fresh rolls. However, this is not place for anyone with problems walking unless you get a suite in their building across the road. Everything is multi-level even walking the streets in La Madera itself is an up-and-down hill job

Room Tip: Choose rooms carefully. Some have a view but were a bit dark. The ones that open to the dining/cooki...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank calie
Washington State
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I chose this place, based on tripadvisor's reviews. I was looking for a beach front, or beach view, place that would be close to town central. This met my criteria, and there were not many to choose from. The web site's description and pictures made it look quite appealing.
I had booked the "Cocunut Bungalow", way back in May. Upon arrival, later afternoon, I was told there was no reservation on record, and the bungalow was being used to store items from another bungalow, under renovation.
After some tense minutes, and further research on the proprietor's part, my reservation was found and I was told that the items in the room would be removed and I could occupy the place shortly.
The walkway and steps leading down to the bungalow were steep, uneven and difficult for my arthritic knees and hips to negotiate. Upon entering the room, it was just as hot and humid as it was outside. The air conditioner had just been turned on and I was told it would cool down in about 15 minutes. Fortunately, there were also 2 ceiling fans that I turned on "high" and was able to at least get some air moving around.
The windows, that spanned the width of the room, were covered with very old and shabby bamboo/reed type roll up shades. A large percentage of the horizontal reeds were broken and the cords that were suppose to enable them to be rolled up and down were not functional. It took a lot of effort to get them tied up in order to be able to view the bay. The view was pretty good, but the ambience of the room was less than desirable.
There were many, many ants and other small bugs crawling back and forth across the floor. When I entered the bathroom, there was a roach on the shower stall ledge, large enough to put a saddle on. It was quickly dispatched, and flushed down the toilet.
The room gradually cooled until it was comfortable, and the air conditioner and both fans were left on the entire time we were there.
We only spent one night there, as planned. Although we managed to get the "blinds" back down before we called it a night, the condition of the blinds enabled the morning sun to brighten the room way too early for my plans to "sleep in."
Overall, I was really disappointed with this place. The window blinds were a real turn off, as were all of the "critters" that crawled freely across the floor. The stairs and walkways were difficult to navigate, for anyone who might have physical limitations. I felt fortunate that I did not have one of the lower bungalows. There was a balcony directly in front of the windows, that were accessed by a door off the small dining/kitchenette area, but there was no railing that would prevent someone from stepping off the balcony and onto a sloped tile roof structure. This would definitely not be a place where you could safely allow children to venture.
The price should have been a clue. It was only $65 for the night. I'd have much rather paid twice that, for something nicer.

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms, but if the unit I stayed in was indicative of what the other...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank tallnxee
zihuahotel, Manager at Bungalows La Madera, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
We here at Bungalows La Madera would like to apologize for the discomfort you had during your stay... I wish something would have been mentioned to us so that we could have fixed any or all problems you had with the room. We program maintenance in every room and have finished the coconut, new air conditioner unit, as well as all new blinds, as well as new paint outside... Our past guest have seemed to really enjoyed staying here with us.... I would love for you to come back someday and see what bungalows la madera really has to offer. We pride ourself on customer satisfaction.

Mark Fromen
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We arrived on September 25th and left Oct 14th.
This was my third time to the area and by far the best accommodations.
If you want the real experience of the mexican culture go to Zihuatanejo. If you want a party scene like that of Cabo or Cancun go to Ixtapa. I prefer the real Mexico.

I read the reviews and looked at the pictures of this property in trip advisor. When the cab arrived at our paradise I thought I was at the wrong location. Looking from the outside you would not know what a jewel it was once you crossed the entry and walked to the room. We had suite 17 which over looks the bay and is directly above the infinity pool. The room had a kitchenette and a private deck over looking the ocean. I can say that the pictures do not do it justice.

We met several people free lancing for a very large guide book which I will not mention. They too were impressed by the cleanliness, the size of the rooms as well as the view.

Besides the infinity pool they have kayaks which can be borrowed at no expense. You are just a ten minute walk to Playa La Ropa or El Centrol. Playa Madera is directly below your room.

The owners, Marc, Carmina and Charles are a lovely family. The handy man Fabio and the maid Manirva were perfect hosts.

Down the street from the Bungalows are some great restaurants. Chendos, great shrimp (ask for the bacon, cheese shrimp its not on the menu) we were told that this was the place for shrimp in Zihuat. Another great restaurant within 4 minutes "Rufo's". During the day it is a cooking school. At night it serves great grilled food.

A true pearl of the pacific Bungalows La Madera

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with steps do not go here. There are no accommodiations for the impaired
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank etolsen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2011

My family and I had a great experience staying at Bungalows La Madera for 10 days in September 2011. We have 2 small children and we looking for a place with enough space for all of us and close to the beach. We stayed in a newer suite facing the beach - our balcony looked right over the beach and had a jacuzzi. Carmina and the staff were fabulous and very helpful - the suite and surrounding areas (the pool and outdoor kitchen/sitting area) were kept scrupulously clean. The kitchen and rooms were well appointed and attractive.
All in all it was a great place to stay and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I took a trip to Zihuatanejo with my husband and brother-in-law at the end of February/beginning of March 2011 and stayed at the Bungalows La Madera. We could not have been happier with our accommodations! Charles, Chamila and Mark were beyond friendly and helpful, and always had advice on where to go and how to get there. We stayed in rooms 14 and 15 in the new building, which were in the same area as the covered bar and table area. The pool was also right there. Although some may think these rooms are not as private we absolutely loved the location. My husband and I had a kitchenette in our room, and we were able to make several meals there during our 9-day stay. Having a dining area right outside our room that had a stunning view of the bay was fantastic. Having the pool right outside our rooms made it all that much better. I was not pregnant when we booked the trip, but by the time we got there I was 4 1/2 months along. I felt very comfortable staying at the bungalows and the air conditioning in our room was a lifesaver! I can't wait to come back here again with our daughter when she's a little older.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends