“Fantastic! The Best of the Best”

Hotel Cinco Sentidos
Ranked #27 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed March 9, 2010

We won't repeat all the accolades given this wonderful intimate hotel except that, if possible, the hotel is even better than described. In the past many years, my husband and I have had the pleasure of staying at both Villa del Sol (now Tides) and Casa Que Canta. Our opinion is that at this point in time, hotel Cinco Sentidos surpasses both of them. Previous to Casa Que Canta's "sophisticated" makeover, I would have had to admit that it was equally charming; but the changes are not to our liking although it is still a great property.

Intimacy and privacy are paramount at Cinco Sentidos. You truly feel as though you are renting a private villa with your own staff catering to your every whim. Uriel is so friendly and helpful, always there to carry groceries or luggage up the many steps. He is a master gardener as the property is lovely. Judith is not only a sweet young woman, but very creative. Her daily flower art on your bed is awesome and the room is cleaned to perfection.

Now we get to Heiko. He manages the hotel, but is a man of many talents. Concierge, definitely. But, we were the first guests to experience his latest talent, Chef Extraordinaire. The kitchen is completed and breakfast is now served. The breakfast is included in the price of your lodging. While you sit at your table by the infinity pool gazing out over the ocean, Heiko serves you fresh orange juice, coffee, special breads and jams, and fresh fruits. However, it's just beginning! He asks you now "how" you would like your eggs. To give you a sense of the choices, my husband requested eggs over easy with ham. I had scrambled eggs with chorizo. Another guest ordered a cheese and ham omelet. On your plate will also be small tortillas with refried beans and a spicy guacamole sauce. You can forget eating lunch. On Sunday, Heiko served a special breakfast to all (and by the way the hotel was fully booked). He left the hotel very very early in the morning to visit the mercado where he purchased the most wonderful slow cooked pork. Apparently, if you do not arrive early enough at the market, this delight will be sold out. He then made homemade tamales (no filling) to accompany the pork. He added a fresh cream over the tamale and also a slice of soft creamy cheese (like Cow Girl Creamery for you West coasters). Any guest is in for a real treat!

We had the pleasure of meeting Araceli, the owner. She is a delightful woman and a very astute businesswoman. We enjoyed very much our conversation with her and wish her great success in her business and personal life.

To sum up, take advantage of staying at this unique hotel while it's still so very very affordable. We departed feeling like we were family. We look forward to returning again next year.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2010

This review is long-overdue, so I'm going to keep it short and to the point.

We were utterly charmed by both Zihua and Cinco Sentidos. Sure there are some steep hills involved, but once you get a look at THE VIEW from your room, you realize how worth it the climb really is.

The rooms are large and wonderfully laid-out; minimally decorated, but sleek and very comfortable. Aside from THE VIEW, and your fabulous room, you will love having a plunge pool always available outside on your balcony. Even in the heat and humidity of July, it was always freezing cold inside that little pool! Unbelievably perfect for a cool-off dip.

We were very fortunate to enjoy the property almost completely to ourselves. Everyday around 5, we'd return to Cinco Sentidos to lounge in the heavenly pool looking out over the bay while gulping on cervezas.

Since we aren't high-maintenance people, the pace of Zihua was just to our liking. The people everywhere we went couldn't have been any nicer to us! There is a homey, relaxed feel to Zihua that far and away beats the resort vibe of Cancun.

Be sure not to miss the fish tacos at Paty's Marimar. They are muy delicioso! Also, a great way to begin your day is with yoga at Paty's outdoor studio facing the water on La Ropa.

One day I know we'll return to Zihua, and there is no doubt we'll stay again at the wonderfully relaxed Cinco Sentidos!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank a74girl
Reviewed February 3, 2010

--first, we were not paid to say this!! Haiko and Cinco Sentidos really exceeded our expectations, and that is saying a lot considering the very high ratings this hotel has recieved. On arrival, our fridge was stocked with Coke Lite and Beer--two ways to make my new husband and I very happy. When we needed a cab (daily) Haiko was not only there within seconds to assist, he almost anticipated our needs and requests before they could even be voiced. On a trip from the marker, Haiko met us at the gate and assisted us with our grocery bags--even cleaning up a wine bottle I broke on the steps. He refused to let me even help--what a great host. I know other hotels in the area, and they do not offer nearly as much hospitality as Haiko. All the taxi drivers know the hotel and its owners/management as reputable. The entire week, the resort was booked--we did not see a single guest however, and basked in our privacy. The room service was impeccable. Every day, our room was restocked with water (such a necessity) and had the cutest floral decorations (different daily) on our bed. The room was absolutely spotless. I guarantee your mother could not clean like the staff here. No corner was (seemingly) untouched. We loved how each room is different, and number three, ours, was definitely the best! The shower overlooked the beach, and you could open the windows while you were relaxing in the shower...such a great view. Everything was wonderful, everyone was professional and courteous, and we are already planning a trip back. Thanks, Haiko!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2010

My partner and I recently spent 17 days in Mexico for his 50th birthday Celebration - a few days in Mexico City, a week in San Miguell de Allende with 16 friends in two amazing colonial era grand homes, and a week at Cinco Sentidos.

We stayed in the largest unit at Cinco Sentidos, #5, on the top floor with an exceptional view, outdoor living space with thatched roof, ceiling fan, and a wonderful hammock, and a large air-conditioned bedroom with a flatscreen TV with extensive cable (for those who like occasional news/sitcoms). The large plunge pool was a wonderful luxury, with beautiful, lingering sunsets at the end of each day!

As planning is a big part of the fun for me, I researched heavily and followed all reviews for Hotel Cinco Sentidos for nearly a year - in great detail - too much perhaps, as only sites like TripAdvisor can provide. To be honest, some of the reviews made me a little nervous. With all of these comments in mind, during our stay I paid close attention, and I can honestly say that Hotel Cinco Sentidos was a great match for us.

We wanted deep relaxation after a fun, exciting week with wonderful friends in San MIguel de Allende and were hoping for quiet and privacy, and we appreciate beautiful accomodations. We found Hotel Cinco Sentidos to be extremely relaxing. We did a little wandering the first day or so, but afer that we never wanted to leave our room. And while there were other guests (as evidenced by the cleaning of rooms), we never heard anyone, and only saw other guests twice in 7 days. We read several books, looked out at the view, took dips in the pool and caught sun on the two cushioned wood lounge chairs.

There appear to be a number of fine restaurants in Zihuatanejo, but other than a wonderful dinner at La Casa Que Canta (a 5 - 10 minute walk or very quick cab ride), we preferred to have a nice lunch out, and then enjoyed a light dinner of crackers and cheese with drinks, or a little plate of nachos (items we bought on our own). This allowed us to enjoy the sunset from the room and stare out at the beautiful night view. One thing that really surprised us, is that even on the hillside location, you can still clearly hear the sound of ocean waves. Wonderful.

Since Cinco Sentidos is literally a block away from 'The Tides', we ambled down the hill every day and were graciously welcomed by the staff there for lunch even though we weren't guests. Even though 'the Tides' is a large commercial resort, it is absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed the ease of going there for lunch. Worth every penny.

The return can be sweat inducing, but for a truly decadent experience, you could take a cab up the hill, though we never did - the walk back up helped us burn off our lunch - and the plunge pool was waiting for us. Cabs are everywhere, so if you never wanted to climb a steep hill, you would never have to. Why torture yourself? It is vacation, right?

Hotel Cinco Sentidos appears set to open a casual breakfast/lunch patio soon, and who knows? If this were available, perhaps we would never have left. For cold beer, water, snacks etc. the best place to visit is Comerical Mexicana - a large Mexico version of Costco - five minutes away by cab. They have everything. You can easily get a cab back at the taxi stand at Comerical Mexicana, and upon your return Uriel, the grounds keeper, bounds down the stairs to help you carry your things to your room.

As for the owners of this hotel, Heiko gave us space/privacy but was helpful when asked. Araceli, who is less present at the hotel, was always friendly and fun! Uriel, the groundkeeper is a really nice guy, who is always at hand to help, and Judith the housekeeper is warm, full of smiles, and makes your room a perfect , clean oasis each and every day.

The main reason I would stay here again however, is value. There are other very nice boutique hotels nearby, and of course, there is the wonderful luxury resort, 'The Tides'. But with a little research, you'll realize, that none offer this combination of quality accomodations, with an in-room plunge pool, with these expansive views (and slightly off the main road which reduces noise) for this price. A great deal for those who want it all, but don't want to pay $700 + per night for a slice of paradise that includes a private pool.

We had a wonderful restful vacation. The over-riding sense I got from our visit, is that Hotel Cinco Sentidos wants their guests to be comfortable and are doing everything they can to address the comments of past guests and the needs of current guests. They are listening.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JourneysFromSeattle
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Hotel Cinco Sentidos is an amazing 5 suite sanctuary nestled in the mountainside of Playa La Ropa. It allows a spectacular view, privacy in luxury and a sanctuary from the public beach when desired.

My girlfriend and I stayed there from Nov 28-Dec 8, 2009. The weather was fabulous (an average of 32 degrees) and the hotel was delightful. Even though we weren't there as a 'couple' I can say it would be an extremely romantic stay with a partner.

Araceli and Heiko (the owners) were terrific. They were extremely accommodating and nothing but helpful. Judith (the maid) and Uriel (the grounds keeper) worked so hard and it paid off immensely. The rooms have all the luxuries of home and the grounds are luscious and scenic.

During the time of our stay, Cinco Sentidos did not offer food service, but while we were there, they were adding a breakfast bar and patio where you could eat outdoors or have it sent to your room.

Lack of food wasn't a problem for us. We bought beer, yogurt, fruit, chips and salsa at Commercial Mexicana (the local grocery store) and hung out poolside most of the day. Between 4 and 5pm, we'd shower and head down to the beach for drinks and dinner. We tried a few places, but nothing compared to The Tides. It was definitely the place to be. Fabulous beach, fabulous food and fabulous service. (I will say that La Perla and Patty's disappointed us) Cityside, we tried Zihua Blue and Jungle Pizza which were both very good. In the centre of Zihuatanejo, we frequented Bar Banditios which was lively and had a fairly good menu.

The beach is a 3-5min walk from Cinco Sentidos and the town centre is a 5-7min cab ride (about 30-35 pesos plus tip). While it wasn't an issue for us, some may like to know that this hotel is located at the top of a pretty steep hill and that once on the property, you must manage quite a few stairs.

All in all, we had a terrific time during our stay and it was largely due to the comfort and luxury of our hotel and its obliging and friendly owners and staff. I would definitely recommend Cinco Sentidos.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank AlanaVanBC
Reviewed December 27, 2009

This place was heaven. The rooms are huge, the views cannot be beat and the staff was fantastic. If you’re looking for a monster all inclusive resort with poolside parties, live bands and hundreds of screaming kids this may not be the place for you. If you’re looking a quiet private oasis to relax you have found it. There are only 5 suites, and children are not allowed. The architecture and landscaping are beautiful and seem simplistic at first. However, you will quickly realize that every wall, stairway, window and even plant has been thoughtfully placed to offer the utmost privacy. In seven nights we only saw or heard other guests on two occasions.
The rooms are immaculately clean, and spacious, offering air conditioning, mini-fridge (stocked with free water, beer, nachos, salsa and guacamole), an electronic safe, satellite tv and of course the private plunge pool. The washrooms are stocked with comfortable soft robes and Neutrogena toiletries.
The hill has been mentioned in many other posts, but I’ll add my two cents. Some have over-stated it, some have understated it. Let me tell you it is a trek making it up the last hill. If you’re obese, out of shape, or aging in years this will not be easy. As much as we didn’t like that walk, there is clearly a reason for it….the view. The view from the suites is simply put the most beautiful view I have ever seen in my life. I would gladly walk a hill twice the size to wake up to this view each morning. It’s a small price to pay. The beachfront resorts charge a premium for their location, but they don’t have the same view. Even if the beachfronts offered the same price I would still rather stay and Cinco. Your only reason for walking the hill would be for trips down to Playa La Ropa beach. While there are restaurants and activities on La Ropa we only went there a few times. Unless youre going to La Ropa you’re taking a taxi anyways, so don’t let this hill scare you from enjoying this resort.
The caretaker Heiko is very helpful and kind. He lived up to his reputation for having a cab ready whenever needed (the local taxi’s have a stand at the bottom of the hill and he has a CB to their dispatch). He was always available for getting us great reservations at restaurants, catamaran tours or even just ordering pizza when we wanted to stay in one night. Heiko even offered for us to move into a larger suite after another guest had left. We just packed our things and the staff took care of everything while we were out for the day. The maid Judy kept the room immaculate. Each day she would ensure our coffee, water and toiletry supplies were refilled. A nice added touch: she would create an artwork of towels and flowers on our bed every day. She even made different designs with flower petals in the washroom. The groundskeeper (Orieal ?) always had the grounds looking like a golf course and he was always available if you needed a hand lifting any heavy suitcases or groceries.
The reviews speak for themselves on Cinco Sentidos. They currently have a 93% Recommendation rating. There have only been 4 negative reviews and if you look closely at them you’ll see they are being petty for the most part: bugs, a night-time padlock on the door and a weird host (someone accused him of being a drunk, maybe he was years ago, but now he simply does not drink. Trust me, we tried getting him to have a few cold ones with us).
Our experience was truly unforgettable and this resort exceeded all of our expectations. We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SkylarC
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Stayed at Cinco Sentidos about a year ago and definitely would not return to this hotel or to Zihua. Husband and I stayed in the Grand Suite. It was, in all fairness, a very nice room with a great view. We really enjoyed the plunge pool, the hammock and the outdoor living room.

Thank goodness the bedroom was air conditioned b/c otherwise we would not have gotten any sleep. Zihua was very, very humid. When we stayed it must have been 90 degrees with 90% humidity. It was a sauna outside. That didn't bother me too much except for tha fact that the bathroom is not air conditioned so you can imagine how hot and muggy it would be in the bathroom after taking a shower. I would put my makeup on in the bedroom using my small compact mirror b/c otherwise I would be so sweaty in the bathroom.

As others have mentioned, Cinco Sentidos is at the top of a steep hill. So, by the time we walked back from the beach or any restaurant, we would be soaked in sweat b/c of the crazy hill and the humidity. It did provide the great view, though.

This was our first trip to Zihua and I wouldn't return. The beach (Playa Ropa) was pretty gross (brown water). We never swam in the ocean the whole week we were there. The town of Zihua is full of crummy "silver" shops (many of which carried items that were obviously not silver and would turn your finger green) and the sales people would come out and harass you to come in their store as you walked by. We also noticed a creepy police presence. Creepy in the sense that we saw several jeeps mounted with machine guns and police carrying automatic weapons. We were told it was b/c of the drug problem and crime. Very disconcerting and I would definitely not go to downtown Zihua after dark.

The main reason I would not stay at Cinco Sentidos again, though, is b/c of the property manager, Heiko. He was a complete weirdo and, quite frankly, I think he was drunk on several occasions when we spoke to him. We smelled alcohol on him twice and his behavior was bizarre and erractic. When we arrived he took us up to the Grand Suite. What should have been a 5 minute overview of the room ended up being a 15-20 minute song and dance. He simply wouldn't leave and he kept repeating himself and showing us the same things over and over again. I think he showed us how to unlock the door 3 times and it's a basic lock - put key in door and turn. He seemed manic and hyper.

The next morning we asked Heiko to call a certain restaurant and make dinner reservations for us (something he offered to do). We decided later that afternoon to cancel the dinner reservations and asked him if he would call and cancel them for us. He made it very clear that cancelling the reservation was a real burden on him and he rolled his eyes and became agitated. He was really rude about it (I explained to him that I wasn't feeling well and was sorry but he didn't seem to care).

We pretty much tried to avoid Heiko as he creeped us out and was really annoying. Unfortunately, we had a major problem on our last night. A huge infestation of red ants carrying their larvae invaded our room. Not a few ants. I'm talking thousands and thousands of huge red ants all over the walls in the bedroom (the wall looked like it was moving). Believe it or not we were not that upset about the ants and we understand that these things can happen in a tropical environment.

We were already packed up as we were leaving the next day so we went down and rang for Heiko, explained the ant problem to him and asked for another room or to be taken to another hotel. He freaked out. He put his head in his hands and was practically crying. He was completely beside himself. My husband was calm and told him "it's okay, these things happen" and Heiko yelled back at him "It's not okay!" and went on and on lamenting the ants and making excuses (he told us it meant an earthquake was coming and a bunch of other weird explanations for the ants). He also kept saying "You're going to write a bad review on Tripadvisor, aren't you?"At any rate, he put us in another room which was directly below the Grand Suite and we saw ants in there too. He had no other available rooms so he called his wife, Araceli, but he was so upset that he handed the phone to my husband and made him speak to her. She kindly arranged for another room for us at the Intrawest hotel. As were walking down to the cab Heiko screamed after us "Don't write a bad review on tripadvisor!" We were so glad to get away from him.

He told us that he would refund us for our hotel room night that we didn't stay. Of course, he did not and I had to write to Araceli to get her to refund it. The weird part was that they couldn't refund my credit card (Heiko charges you for the full amount of your stay the day you arrive). She had to mail me a check for the one night of our stay. She also made it clear that they had "paid" for the night of our stay at Intrawest and obviously insinuated that I shouldn't be asking for the refund of the one night. Mind you that she is the manager of the Intrawest hotel so I highly doubt that she or Heiko paid one penny for that room.

At any rate, while the room and the plunge pool were nice, it didn't make up for the unprofessional manager and his odd behavior.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BdawgDallas_Texas
cincosentidos, owner at Hotel Cinco Sentidos, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2009

I sincerely appreciate your comments.

It is very important to us to receive feedback from our guests so we have the opportunity to address issues and improve out service. Since your stay we have been focusing on training for how we respond to situations that arise; our goal is to ensure that our guests receive the best service possible and take home memorable experiences. We recognize that our reactions and how we address a challenge is critical so our guests know we have their best interests at heart.

The tropical climate of Zihuatanejo offers on one hand the beauty of interacting with nature yet also presents that challenge of living with natural elements. The problem you encountered with the ants was a great concern for us. Following your stay we made changes to be more proactive so now our monitoring can prevent this from reoccurring.

The town of Zihuatanejo and the bay is a treasure for us. The new local government that was elected one year ago in conjunction with the private sector have undertaken a number of projects to improve the cleanliness and safety of the town. With this as a priority significant improvements have already been made. I am truly pleased to now hear many positive comments from returning guests and expatriate residents. We know how important the image of the town and bay is for this tourist destination.

It is very disconcerting that you did not enjoy your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies and trust that we know how important your and all perceptions of visitors to Zihuatanejo are for our success.