“A Romantic delight - even in the off season”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Hotel Cinco Sentidos
Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Dallas, Texas
“A Romantic delight - even in the off season”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I just completed a three night stay at Cinco Sentidos and enjoyed every aspect of our stay. Our room was spacious, clean and well appointed, with a terrific view and terrace for relaxing. Cinco Sentidos is a private, romantic retreat. It is also a very good value. My only complaint, and it is minor among the many positives, is that the bed and pillows were, well, quite firm.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanGlobalGallop

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 13, 2009

My husband and I decided to take a much-needed retreat from reality. We unplugged our phones and locked them in the room's safe; in fact, we followed the sun most of the time and spent our time without concern for the clock, except when we had dinner reservations. The Grand Suite was a nice extra treat we afforded ourselves, but probably not requisite to have an amazing stay at Cinco Sentidos (though the hammock next to the plunge pool was really nice, as was the extra space).

The atmosphere was always very private, and Heiko bent over backwards to accommodate our every request. Lounging in the pool with an urge for something crispy, we asked if he had any potato chips. He didn't, but he hopped on his scooter and bought two kinds for us. Somehow our fridge was always stocked with more beer or wine than we had actually put in it--we never complained. The other staff members were kind and attentive, and the owner, Aracely, was delightful. She and Heiko had great dining suggestions as well as activities. When feeling particularly lazy and decadent, Aracely ordered dessert by delivery from Zihua Blue for us--great recommendation!

To reiterate some other reviews--yes, the beach is close and very walkable. We are not Olympic athletes but enjoyed the walks despite the uphill (and sweaty!) return from the beach. Also, we highly recommend eating at Tentaciones (five fabulous courses, amazing atmosphere, no rush--though we wouldn't stay at the hotel--apparently they have limited hours when you can use the pool as a guest--not the case at Cinco Sentidos), Il Mare (not sure why it comes up so low on the recommendations for restaurants in Zihuatanejo--great service and fabulous food--the non-fried calamari was amazing). Los Braceros had great cheap tacos. Nueva Zelanda was very clean and delicious for breakfast downtown. Paty's on the beach at La Ropa was fine--the massage there was so nice with the sound of the waves behind you. La Ropa Beach is the best for swimming; a side trip to Troncones is also worth it (amazing crystal clear water). Be sure to get downtown some to experience life there--so much going on.

Our only hesitation with Cinco Sentidos was the lack of breakfast. This was not a problem, however. We bought some yogurt and granola to store, but we actually preferred to get out instead for breakfast. Yes, the taxis are so cheap (and safe) and arrive to Cinco Sentidos in a flash.

You won't regret your choice to stay here. We remember our time there so fondly and hope to return soon.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobySue
Salt lake City
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I went to Cinco Sentidos for my honeymoon at the end of June. This hotel was great, starting from it's close location to La Ropa beach (which we thought was a great beach for swimming), and also because of the very detailed attention you get from HeiKo and the owner Aracely. They were very helpful with restaurant recommendations and local information. Even though there were five suites, we always felt like we were always there alone. The view from our room (#3) had one of the most beautiful sights that we have ever seen. The surroundings was also beautiful. Overall, if you want to stay at a small private hotel, with personalized attention, and beautiful views , stay here at Cinco Sentidos! As far as restaurant recommendations definitely go to Lety's to try her cocunut shrimp! We are looking forward to coming back to Zihua next year and stay at Cinco Sentidos again :)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 18, 2009

In celebration of our 5th anniversary, my husband and I just returned from a 7 night stay in the Grand Suite at Cinco Sentidos. We traveled with my sister-in-law and her husband who also stayed at Cinco in room #3. My husband and I delight in small luxury (boutique) hotels, and Cinco Sentidos exceeded our expectations.

The four of us had a fabulous time relaxing at the pool, perusing local restaurants, and checking out the area, both by land and by sea. The 7 nights flew by and we were all sad to say our good-byes to Zihua and Cinco Sentidos.

There’s too much to say in one review, so I’ll try to group the rest of my comments into categories that you may be curious about, so pick your own adventure!

Grand Suite: The room was beautiful! Not only was the view fantastic, but the decorating was very trendy and tastefully done throughout the entire suite. To be honest, I was initially somewhat afraid that it was going to look out-dated or too authentic, but my fears were put to rest. The Grand Suite consists of three main areas: the open living room/pool/lounge area, the bathroom (which includes ample closet space), and the enclosed (air-conditioned) bedroom.
• The open air living room, plunge pool, and tanning deck were beyond gorgeous. The thatched roof in the living room kept the plunge pool in our room cold at all times and was a refreshing retreat after hot days of sightseeing. (I used the plunge pool in our room several times, but actually preferred the resort pool as it was a little warmer and provided a place for our entire group to hang out.)
• The non air-conditioned bathroom was wonderful for showering but a challenge for putting on make-up and doing my hair, as it does get QUITE HOT in Zihua this time of the year. However, I was able to get ready pretty easily in the bedroom for those few nights that make-up and hair were actually desired during a beach vacation.
• Also, the first couple of nights, the bed seemed a little too firm for my taste but by the end of the trip, I had become accustomed to the firmness as the lulling of the waves outside MORE than offset any minor discomfort. The bedroom is host to a small flat-screen TV with ample channels.

So, would I say the Grand Suite is worth the extra money…. hmm? Yes and No. Yes, because the open-air living area with the hammock and extra space was breathtaking and the decorations were superb. No, because all of the rooms were very tastefully done and the other rooms were air-conditioned throughout rather than just in the bedroom. If/when my husband and I return it would be a toss up between booking room #4 and the Grand Suite (room #5). Regardless of which room you choose, I truly believe you’ll make the perfect pick because they all have something unique and desirable to offer!

Main Hotel Grounds: The grounds of Cinco Sentidos were fantastic in every way.
• The main pool was excellent for relaxing, swimming, and reading a book. The built-in “sofa” with “coffee table” in the pool was our favorite hangout. The zero-edge pool was breathtaking!
• Like all the reviews before me have mentioned, there are several flights of unavoidable stairs: two from the gate entrance to the main pool and entrances to rooms #1 and #2, one to the office and entrances to rooms #3 and #4 and one final flight to room #5/The Grand Suite. The stairs are really not an issue at all, but be prepared to make the trek down the hotel grounds and then further down the drive and then down the hill to the beach. I was disillusioned when I had read prior reviews describing the stairs. For some reason I thought the stairs everyone was talking about lead from the hotel down to the beach, but they do not. The stairs are just the means of getting around the resort and then there are additional climbing challenges getting to and from the hotel. So, just set aside money to book a cab a couple of times a day and you’ll be glad you did. Our group decided early on that it was worth the 35ish pesos each way for the 4 of us to share a cab around the town rather than killing ourselves walking in the heat and humidity.
• In room fridges are great for stocking snacks and drinks. As a welcome, the fridges are loaded with fresh guacamole, pico, chips, water and a couple of beers to hold you over the first afternoon. You’ll get one LARGE water per day from the maid, but you’ll want to replenish the fridge on your own too. Room 5 has a microwave but the others don’t (to my knowledge).
• It is a tropical area and there are iguanas, geckos, bats!, bees, and frogs. However, we didn’t have any too-close encounters with the wildlife even in our open-air room. No worries, but be aware.
• Wi-fi was what we expected: good enough for what we needed but nothing spectacular. Open areas provide for better connectivity, obviously.

Zihua Stuff You Won’t Want to Miss:
• Small game fishing with Mauricio – all day adventure where you catch your own fish and then take them to Luillio’s on Ixtapa Island and watch as they cook them before your eyes. You can then hang out on the beach and feed tortillas to the fish. Order your fish grilled with garlic and order the ceviche – it was the best food we had while on the trip! The excursion costs about $50 per person and the prep and sides for the fish luncheon costs an additional $10 per person. It was worth every penny. Note: I wouldn’t recommend the other local sightseeing trip Mauricio offers because it is too touristy and offers less bang for the buck. There were aspects of the second trip with Mauricio that were fun, but overall it was a long day including too much driving through rural Mexico and the food didn’t compare to Luillio’s.
• Lety’s – best coconut shrimp in the world! No one knows where it is so don’t even ask. Grab a cab and have them take you to the pier and then cross over the bridge. It is the orange second story of a blue and orange building. Worth the effort to find.
• Banditos in downtown. It is pretty pricy for what it is, but the meals are huge and can easily be shared. I ordered the fish taco “appetizer” and it was too much and was cheaper than many of the other options. I highly recommend the fish tacos or the molcajete. Show up late afternoon and you can browse the flea market shops across the street before stopping for dinner (they may be closed afterwards).
• Sunday night at the basketball courts in downtown Zihua – local families gather to watch musical performances by local kids. Show up around dusk, grab an infamous hambugesa (loaded up with pico, ham, cheeses, and avocado!!!) followed up by homemade ice cream cones, and then sit and enjoy the shows. The hamburgesas and ice cream are found via mobile vendors hovering around the outskirts of the courts.
• Commercial Mexicana – We went to this Wal-Mart styled grocery our first night and loaded up on drinks and snacks to hold us over throughout the week. The prices were similar to a grocery store in the states. No great deals but no scary surprises either.
• Il Mare – great Italian food with a spectacular view of the bay. Good choice for a nice night out. Huge portions – sharing is a good option if you can narrow your choices.
• Zihua Blue – a great, very trendy dinner or after-dinner spot with a hookah lounge. We just did dessert here, so I cannot attest for the quality of the food.

Whew! I warned you there was a lot to review. Bottom line: stay a week, stay in any room at Cinco, hang out at the pool, grab some tasty treats and go fishing. You’ll be glad you picked this quaint fishing village over the booming tourist towns like Ixtapa and Cancun (and if you need a night or two of touristy action, it’s only a 15 minute taxi ride away). Enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank benshelby
Sydney
Reviewed June 16, 2009

From the moment we arrived and our bags were taken to our room we knew this was the start of something special. This is a small private hotel with only five rooms, excellent for those romantic interludes, no screaming kids thank god!!
The owner Heiko couldn't have made us more welcome, so welcome that when we moved on to our next hotel (due to lack of availability at the time of booking Cinco Sentidos), we still spent our evenings there in Heiko's company.
Nothing was ever a problem for Heiko and his staff. Heiko recommended and booked our restaurants and trips - all of which were amazing.
As I mentioned previously we had to book into another Zihua hotel for our last two nights - that's how popular this place is!! As we have experienced other hotels in the area we can safely say this is by far the best - YOU HAVE TO STAY HERE!!
Thanks Heiko!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy O
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed June 16, 2009

On May 10, on the heels of the Swine Flu scare, my new bride and I experienced the most wonderful, romantic and relaxing time of our lives. Hotel Cinco Sentidos is everything other travelers have reported. It is difficult to add anything new since so many of the hotel's amenities have been described before. Our honeymoon ended prematurely (see below) and we can't wait to return and finish our experience.

We stayed in the Grand Suite and absolutely loved it. When we made our reservations the Grand Suite was only available for the first four nights of our six night stay. Because of the Swine Flu scare there were cancellations and we were therefore going to be able to stay there all six nights. We highly recommend the Grand Suite. Araceli (the owner) tells us that some guests return year after year and prefer one of the Junior Suites, but to us the Grand Suite was well worth the extra $$. The hotel is built into the side of the mountain and the Grand Suite is at the top. It therefore offers the most privacy; that is to say, absolute privacy. While we could look out at the beach and the Pacific, no one could look in at us. The freedom was exhilarating!

Yes, there is no elevator and yes, there are many steps. But my wife and I are both in our 50's (this is the second marriage for each of us) and we had no problems getting to our room or going down to the beach. Had we ever returned from the beach (see below) we may have taken a taxi for a few dollars.

Why didn't we return from the beach? Unfortunately, on our third day there, and our first at the beach, my wife was struck from behind by an unexpected wave in shallow water and knocked down, breaking her collar bone. We had enjoyed nachos in beach chairs in front of Paty's before the accident happened. Paty herself followed the EMS van in her car so she could make certain my wife got the best care. Once we were with the doctor Paty recommended, she called the hotel and spoke to Heiko about the injury.

Before long, Araceli was at the hospital, looking after us as if we were family. She translated so my wife could communicate with her doctor and stayed at the hospital with us for hours. When my wife was released, Araceli drove us back to the hotel. We were able to book a flight home at noon the next day and Araceli would not consider letting us take a taxi. She was at the hotel and drove us to the airport.

While Araceli could have certainly charged us for all six nights, we were charged for only the three we were there. This gesture was made even though, because of Swine Flu, the entire hotel was going to be vacant for the next couple of weeks. In short, her gracious hospitality at our time of need is another reason we will certainly return.

Of course, Heiko is everything travelers say he is: funny, helpful, resourceful and engaging. He knows the restaurants and knows how to get the best tables. We are looking forward to our return so we can employ his services for several days more.

Don't be surprised to find that your suite is shared by another guest. Loco, the cat, goes where he wants when he wants and doesn't bother anyone. The truth is, I dislike cats but Loco minds his own business. He was not unwelcome in our suite.

So now we're waiting for my wife's clavicle to heal, which is another way of saying we're waiting for the time when we can schedule another trip to this perfect romantic hideaway.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kdjlaw
Boise, ID
Reviewed May 4, 2009

When we first purchased this room over the internet we knew were going to get something unique, intimate, and romantic for a relatively good price. But once you arrive you get so much more. Heiko is the owner and he takes great care of you from the minute you arrive. Your bags are brought to your room and you immediatly feel at home as your fridge is stocked with complementary Gaucamole, Salsa, Corona, Pop and Chips. Heiko does a great job of answering any questions you have and is willing to help with anything.

The rooms are wonderful and roomy and all come with spectacular views of the bay. You have fresh flowers on your bed and the room stays cool with A/C, fan or the ocean breeze which ever you choose. The bathroom is plenty big and a you have a small fridge for your food if you are staying longer and a safe to keep things secure.

The beach is only a short walk away and cabs take literally 20 seconds to arrive.

If you dont feel like the beach the infinity pool is great it isrefreshing and comes with an amazing view and plenty of room to get sun and get in a good swim.

Heiko gives great recommendations whether it comes to food or entertainment and he is quite a fun character to have around. And his service is always prompt and fair.

My wife and I plan on going back to Zihua again and when we do it will always be with Cinco Sentidos. http://www.hotelcincosentidos.com/Suites.html

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple