“like staying with family”
Review of Casa Kau-Kan

Casa Kau-Kan
Ranked #52 of 77 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed April 3, 2007

Casa Kau Kan was a terrific stay!

I was a little nervous about pre paying for a hotel that I hadn't seen except for on the internet. Trying to get a hold of reservations on the telephone was difficult and frustrating. Judith Whitehead's agency was in only at certain times and returning emails was a little sketchy but we got it accomplished.

I was also nervous about how far away we were from Zihua and what might be close to the hotel. Turns out that was the best part of it all. There is very little around the hotel. No super minis for your beer and cigar but you just have to plan ahead is all.

We would have a wonderful lunch or breakfast at the hotel and usually go into town at night. Antonio and Pedro were extremely accomodating and would do all that they could to make sure we were happy. They hooked us up with a cab driver Bernie who was just as helpful as they were. We almost looked forward to our cab ride into town as much as anything because it was just so fun. Bernie would go into the stores with us to make sure we got exactly what we needed and would help us speak the language. What cabbie would do that in the US?

Cab ride to el centro was $10 u.s. It cost a little more to go into town every night but there were so many choices for dinner that it made it well worth it.

It was a truly relaxing stay. After having lunch at La Ropa beach with all the spring breakers, it was like paradise coming back to the tranquility of the hotel.

Antonio and Pedro were the most helpful hosts we could have asked for! Thank you.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank brody400

Reviewed February 6, 2007

Absolutely wonderful! The Casa Kau-Kan is the perfect place for a quiet and relaxing vacation. The rooms are very nice and the service from Antonio, Pedro and the entire staff was above average. Because the hotel has only ten rooms, the staff is able to provide excellent personal service. We often felt as if we were guests at someone's home! The beach at Playa Larga is very nice as well. The hotel is positioned toward the end of the beach... it's very private. The food is fantastic! The owner is a chef and has a restaurant (The Kau-Kan) in town as well. It overlooks the Zihuatanejo Bay... the view is beautiful, especially at night! Ask the hotel to make your reservations at the Kau-Kan to ensure a table with a fantastic view. We went into town every day, which is a simple 15 minute cab ride that the hotel can organize for you.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank AMClearwater
Reviewed January 18, 2007

Wow- this trip has convinced me what a great service tripadvisor is. The praise for Casa Kau-Kan is spot-on. We were so glad we stayed there on the more remote and rustic Playa Larga after seeing the crowds, vendors, parasailing, and banana-boat action on Playa La Ropa. Highlights of our trip included:

- walking down the beach for lunch at one of the Playa Larga palapas (try 4 Hermanos)
- a boat trip from Barra de Potosi, a fishing village about 15 minutes away by car
- a surfing trip with one of the outfits in town
- fish tacos for lunch at Casa Kau-Kan
- afternoon pina coladas and siestas at Casa Kau-Kan
- the release of some just-hatched sea turtles

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank jl999
Reviewed January 8, 2007

JR and I spent a week at Casa Kau Kan this past November and had the most relaxed hassle free vacation. We were well cared for by our host Padro and his staff. Padro is a real sweetheart, always there for you with a smile. The owner Ricardo Rodriguez was also a gracious host. We also dined at his other restaurant Kau Kan in Zihua.
Casa Kau Kan is a wonderful place to escape from the eledged "real World". It is a real hide-away for those who don't want the hassle and bussle of a large hotel. Great gourmet food, great service and fantastic views. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank clearsea
Reviewed December 3, 2006

After reading all the fabulous reviews of Casa Kau-Kan, I was quite confident that my husband and I would enjoy spending our honeymoon there. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

We arrived at the hotel on a Wednesday afternoon, and were greeted by Pedro who is the waiter/concierge for the hotel. He was probably the only positive aspect of the whole experience, really. We had a welcome drink, and went to our room for an afternoon siesta. Unfortunately, as soon as we got in our room, the noise began. And I mean NOISE - as in power saws and jackhammers right next door in the suite behind us. This was not a good start, and unfortunately it never got much better. We asked if the noise would be continuing, and were told that it would only go on for a short time as they were doing some work in the suite next door. Well, it continued for several hours. A siesta was not going to happen.

We went to our balcony instead. We had really looked forward to having our own personal plunge pool, but the harsh reality was that it is basically a mosquito/bug breeding ground and looked like it had never been skimmed. Again, not a great start. Now to be fair, they did eventually skim the pool to get rid of the bugs, on our 4th day there. Needless to say, we never ventured into our pool. The other weird (not to mention dangerous) thing is that our 2nd floor balcony had no railing. You could literally walk (or fall) right off the balcony!

Our first morning, we were looking forward to breakfast and decided to have it in our room on the balcony. When I asked for decaf coffee, I was told they didn't have it and I got hot tea instead. They never got decaf, even after staying there 6 days I was still served hot tea. I know that people call this place a "first class" hotel, but all the great hotels I've stayed at in Mexico would have gone immediately to get some decaf if they didn't have it. Anyway, breakfast ended up being "continental" style. Okay, but not exactly great. If you actually want hot breakfast, be prepared to pay $7 for scrambled eggs.

Which brings me to the food/restaurant situation at Casa Kau-Kan. The place has 8 rooms, but only 4 tables in the restaurant area. As the hotel started to fill up, they brought out a plastic folding table to accommodate. Classy. Basically all the food is overpriced. Lunch for 2 came out to about $36 for guacamole, fish tacos, and ceviche. Ridiculous, and not that special.

On day 2 of our visit, there was more noise and more construction going on. There were wheelbarrows at the bottom of our stairs, which we nearly tripped over a couple of times. The grounds keepers at Casa Kau Kan could use a little...discretion. I don't really want to look at the gardener and his backwards baseball cap and baggy shorts and tank top while I'm eating breakfast or lounging by the pool. First class hotels make sure their employees are invisible, especially when they are doing big projects like planting palm trees by the restaurant. Seriously. Furthermore, much of the hotel looks like it is falling apart. The rails that separate the beach from the hotel grounds are broken, and I doubt they will ever be fixed. The stairwells are not lit at night, and the actual stairs themselves are very small and dangerous. There were 2 beer bottles left on the rails by the beach when we arrived, and they remained there for days until someone FINALLY picked them up.

By the afternoon of day 2, I was ready to check out and go back to the hotel we came from. So I called the agent who handled our reservations, only to be told that I would forfeit all the money that we had paid in advance. I can understand that if you no-show, you lose your cash, but we had problems from the get go, and were unhappy with the hotel. Too bad, basically. So we decided to tough it out, and stick around and hope for the best.

To add insult to injury, the one thing that really upset us was that Ricardo, the owner, whom we never met once, apparently told the waiter and all the guests there that we weren't happy and we were leaving. In fact, they even offered to upgrade a couple of guests to our honeymoon suite as soon as we left. From then on we were treated like the couple about to get voted off the island, and as this is a very small hotel, EVERYONE knew what was going on. My husband and I never would have squealed to other guests about our bad experiences. (Un)luckily for us, the owner did that for us. So now our entire honeymoon was pretty much spoiled. When Ricardo did finally show his face at the hotel, he gave us his back the entire time, and basically acted as if we weren't even there. Instead of coming up to us and apologizing for the noise, the mess, the general "unkempt" environment of the place, he chose to act as if our complaints were a personal insult to him. How unprofessional.

In all, we were EXTREMELY disappointed with Casa Kau-Kan. We will never be back, and frankly, we recommend you stay somewhere else.

Stayed: November 2006
19  Thank Austin_PolitiGal
Reviewed December 3, 2006

For the third time in a year, we recently spent another two plus weeks at this unique boutique hotel located on Playa Larga, just south of Zihuatanejo, Mexico. Casa Kau-Kan continues to offer the best of service with it's staff managed by Pedro and his staff. The owner, Ricardo Rodriguez also operates the beautiful Kau-Kan restaurant in Zihuatanejo and coordinates the two facilities with a masterful hand offering gourmet food at both the hotel and restaurant.
Casa Kau-Kan is located steps away from the 9 mile beach named Playa Larga and offers peace and tranquility to the most experienced traveller. While there, we were fortunate enough to observe a beautiful wedding held on the beach with guests from as far away as Europe.
Without a doubt this fabulous property will continue to be one of our favorite vacation spots. Highly recommended for a peaceful, tranquil, and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Ducshooter
Reviewed October 7, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a week at Casa Kau-Kan. I have one word for our trip: R-E-L-A-X-I-N-G and two words for Casa Kau-Kan: F-I-R-S-T C-L-A-S-S!!! From the moment we set foot on the property (without luggage thanks to American Airlines) we were treated like royalty. Pedro took care of us with amazing meals (I'll never eat another fish taco in the U.S.), had a taxi there for us anytime we needed one, set up a horse ride on the beach and eventually helped us get our luggage. The people of Zihuatanejo were always friendly, and we felt safe everywhere we went. It was absolutely an amazing trip, and we're so thankful we decided on Zihua instead of Ixtapa. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank CC_In_Tennessee