“Over The Top!!!”
Review of Amuleto

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Amuleto
Ranked #3 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Over The Top!!!”
Reviewed January 6, 2011

One guideline (a tip) is that we would warn anyone who cannot navigate steps not to go to Amuleto. There are numeous stone steps leading to rooms, pool, dining room and bar area and up to the driveway to catch a taxi. We found the steps for us to be user friendly and navigable, but one has to be very careful. The steps add to the charm, but be warned if you have any physical issues that limit your ability to get around easily.... think twice. This "boutique hotel" is the tops with perfect service, attentive staff, and all aspects rating an A+. We cannot say enough positives about our stay at Amuleto and will remember it always. The peace and quiet were refreshing and the view!! Well, we thought we were on the Riviera! Thanks for everything most sincerely.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Seattle
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We just returned from a four-night stay at Amuleto. Our only regret was that we could not stay longer. Owners Ricardo and Neglia were gracious hosts; the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. This was our third trip to Zihuatanejo and our first stay at Amuleto. (We had dinner at the hotel on a prior trip and, inspired by that experience, made plans to return for a stay. We will do so again.)

Truly a special place to stay while enjoying Zihuatanejo.

Rocklin California
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We have stayed at Amuleto four times now, with each stay surpassing the last in terms of duration, enjoyment, service, warm, excellent staff, and value. We found it by way of Casa Que Canta, which we sought out in 2006, and which only had 4 days of our planned 7 days available. Rather than scrub the plan, we decided to spend the remaining 3 days at a small place called Amuleto. There we spent the remaining three days in a new room known at the time only as "Suite #1 (the other 5 have names). That did it for us. We have never had the slightest desire to return to CQC, or, for that matter, to vacation anywhere else, since that stay. Much is made of Zihuatanejo beaches, and beach access-hotels. Located near the top of a Southern cliff overlooking the Bay, Amuleto is a brief walk tfrom the beach, while at the same time offering magnificent, panoramic views of Zihuatanejo Bay and the Pacific. I assure you, we did not regret our selection, nor, in retrospect, do we view ourselves to have compromised in the least. Amuleto's staff defines, rather, re-defines service. They truly care about your experience - your comfort, needs, satisfaction, and happiness, and will do all they can to ensure them. For me, this is a separate story - 3 of the four trips have involved medical recovery of some type: shoulder, then back surgeries, and (successful) chemo. In each case, we had special needs and requests, some unique and personal, many way beyond the scope of conventional hospitality; and in each case Amuleto delivered flawlessly. The fourth, most recent stay was a very personal celebration of completed recovery for us. Though Ricardo and his team were unaware of these special circumstances, we knew we could count on them to come through for us, and they did, as always - flawlessly.

The details of our Amuleto experiences comprise a travel story well beyond the scope of this comment. In summary, my wife and I consider Amuleto to be our one and only destination (Susan's travel background is Europe/U.S., mine Far East/S. America/U.S. In addition, we have .75 and1 million domestic miles respectively) for tranquility, hide-away-like privacy, predictably ideal weather, and, of course, unparalleled value, all in a magnificent, romantic setting.

Not nearly enough said. Try Amuleto and see.

2 Thank mjallison
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Our stay at Amuleto is difficult to put into words. We spent the most romantic, magical, tranquil, relaxing, luxurious 5 days and 4 nights of our lives at Amuleto. Typically we are traveling around in our RV…which is fun but no luxury involved! But we thought we’d splurge since we were eloping. The only time we left Amuleto was to get married on Playa la Ropa, and for dinner on Tuesday night, but only because Amuleto does not serve dinner on Tuesday nights.

We fell in love with Amuleto! We felt like we stumbled upon an enchanted hillside villa that no one else had discovered yet! The staff is impeccable. We were provided service without feeling like anyone was around. They come and go in a manner that is gracious, detailed, and unassuming. The grounds are so tranquil, very clean, and so interesting! The vegetation and decor seem to melt together and you have to really look hard to see each detail individually. The food is excellent and interesting! Our favorite meal of the day was breakfast…lime pancakes…yum! We stayed in Suite #1 which is superb; however each room is special in its own way. There is no lack of view in ANY of the rooms.

The best part of the stay was when we arrived back to our room at Amuleto from our ceremony on the beach. The staff had made a path of fresh flower petals from the door to the bed, and decorated our bed with “I love you” in fresh flower petals (the bed was decorated every night with fresh flower petals, but they went all out on our wedding night). They also set up a dining table surrounded by candles in our room for our own private wedding night dinner!

The owner, Neglia, is so gracious and easy going. We could tell she put every ounce of herself into Amuleto! We can’t wait to return!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Amuleto seemed like the perfect place for a destination wedding, and it exceeded our lofty expectations in every way. The hotel is beautifully designed and has the feel of a home rather than an hotel. The rooms are beautiful and very private, and can be fully opened so that you're essentially staying outside, or closed so that you can relax in the air conditioning. Loved the open air bathroom and showers. We were disappointed that the Palapa suite was already booked when we decided to stay at Amuleto, but the owner was kind enough to show us the room our last day, and it was spectacular...book early, it is worth it.

As others have noted, the staff are what really makes Amuleto special. First, you feel as if there is about a 10:1 staff to guest ratio; you don't always see them, but as soon as you want or need something, someone is there for you. I don't think we ever saw the housekeeping staff, but every time we left our room, they'd show up and make sure that everything was perfect. The restaurant staff were always helpful and friendly and took care of our every need. Even a member of the kitchen staff came our on our last day to ask how we enjoyed our stay and thanked us for coming.

I could go on and on about the wonderful people at Amuleto, but I'll won't, just add one last item. Another couple staying at Amuleto while we were there were Zihua regulars and shared their experiences from a number of the other boutique hotels in town, and while they had some nice things to say about all, the assured us that Amuleto was far and away the best.

So, if you're looking for an intimate, romantic stay with unparalled service, look no further than Amuleto.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Let me start by saying that I read every review and looked at every picture here on TripAdvisor related to Amuleto before my trip. I perused the hotel's website from end to end. I considered myself prepared and thought I knew what to expect upon my arrival. Even if a picture IS worth a thousand words, no amount of pictures or words can describe the feeling I had when I walked in this place.

You are immediately drawn to the view of Zihuatanejo Bay which, at Amuleto's position on the mountain, is unobstructed. As you move throughout the hotel from the bar to the dining terrace, to the main pool, to the room's balconies and terraces, the view is always there. The hotel's height on the hillside means you also feel a nice welcoming breeze from the bay.

It takes a while (for me about a day) to pull your gaze from the view to the actual hotel. When you finally start to notice your surroundings, you notice the thought and effort that went into the hotel's design. The design complements the surroundings so seamlessly that it is hard to believe it didn't grow out of the hillside with the rest of the plants and trees. Yet as you look closer, you realize that this was clearly a deliberate part of the design. In perfect balance with this element of the design is the artistic way Amuleto's owners have decorated and furnished the hotel. As a fellow guest noted -- art feeds the soul. At this hotel, the art isn't confined to canvas or sculpture.

Cleanliness: The staff is always hard at work making sure every inch of the hotel is spotless. If you leave your room for breakfast, your bed is made and room is cleaned when you return to pack for the beach.

Service: The staff doesn't know how to say "no". Your bags magically make it from your cab to your room without you noticing. They have the art of unseen service perfected, yet are only a phone call away. They all speak perfect English and are patient with those of us who like to try out our high school Spanish too! I really can't say enough about the staff -- they really put my stay over the top.

Value: Let's be honest -- Amuleto is a luxury hotel. I have stayed at plenty that weren't worth the money. This one IS.

Rooms: There are 6. I stayed in one of the "Main Suites". King size bed in a bedroom that can be closed off with AC if you prefer. From the shower I could see the bay. I had a fridge that never went bare, a hammock big enough for 2, a large private deck with an infinity plunge pool, sitting area with a table, and 2 loungers and a view of the entire bay.

Sleep quality: If you can't get to sleep to the sounds of the waves below, try shutting the doors and sleeping to silence. For the city folks, see if one of the staff will stand outside your door and make car noises. Remember, I never heard them say "no" to anything. :)

Location: The only reason I gave Amuleto a 4 out of 5 in any category is location. There isn't EASY, short walking access to Playa La Ropa for people that might have trouble walking. We found a set of stone stairs down the road a bit, which led into a jungle path, which led into a steep descent to Playa Las Gatas, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that can't hike, and I certainly wouldn't go back up it. In any case, a 40 peso ($4 US) cab ride will get you from the hotel to the middle of Playa La Ropa. Trust me when I say that the $4 sacrifice is worth the magnificent view that the hillside location provides.

PS -- the food is amazing too. I will post more in the Restaurant section.

Enjoy Amuleto. If you go in late February 2011, you might just run into me.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rwelshhon
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Our stay at Amuleto was absolutly amazing. After the weeks of busy preperation for the wedding we were immediatly set at ease when we arrived. We were greated with Margaritas and Guacamole on the patio overlooking all of Zihua Bay. Ricardo and staff pay close attention to all the details so you don't have to. The first week we barely left Amuleto as it was such a relaxing environment. The breakfasts on the patio were a daily highlight and I was never disapointed with any of the daily specials.

A few days into our stay we met Lucio, former Amuleto employee and now owner of Quinto Sol Tours, and had some great days with him kayaking and fishing. If you have the time take a trip with him instead of taking a chance on the many other "tour guides" that will approach you on the beach.

This is definitely a great place to stay if you are looking for some privacy as you can barely tell where any of the rooms are looking around the place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple