“breath taking views, relaxing, quiet, proximity to zihua and beach”
Review of Aura del Mar Hotel

Aura del Mar Hotel
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed February 2, 2011

After reading many positive reviews we decided to escape the Seattle wet winter to Zihuatanejo. Our room was on the top floor with a balcony, jacuzzi, and sweeping panoramic views of Madera Beach and the entire bay. The views from the room were breathtaking. Based on our observations, almost all of the rooms in the hotel had killer views. The room had two beds which were double size.

Although the beds were on concrete slab, the mattresses were western style pillow-top. We found them to be very comfortable. The maids decorated the beds with fresh flowers each day. They came by at night to turn down the beds and leave small candies. All of the staff were very courteous.

The pool had a large hand made slide that was very interesting for the kids. As with the entire property, the views of the beach from the pool were outstanding. We watched them change the pillows and lounge mats daily. We even saw them change the umbrellas when they started to fade. In short, staff were working around the clock to make this place shine. All of the floors were mopped daily. The entire hotel complex was extremely quiet and peaceful.

The floors in each room had custom borders of embedded stones and shells. The sliding glass doors were optimized for wall to wall views. The deck was furnished with a small table, two chairs, and two We had art on the walls in our room which was changed out at least once during our visit.

Rooms had modern digital air conditioners with remote controls. The air conditioning worked well and was relatively quiet. TV in the room included an assortment of channels in English, Spanish, and some with subtitles.

The bathroom had a tiled tub/shower combination, double sink, and toilet. Water pressure was excellent (even on the top floor) and there was plenty of hot water. Note that the water out of the tap was not potable and the maids left bottle water in the room every day. The room had a small refrigerator, a safe, a small desk, and a dresser. There was a coffee maker and packets of coffee left by the maids each day. The bedside table and cubbies were formed from adobe/concrete. Decor was nice. Beddings were clean. We had a new hammock on the balcony, but chose not to hang it up in favor of more space for chairs. The room included free beach towels for all guests and there were two bathrobes.

Other common areas included two lounges and a restaurant. Although we were able to detect the wireless from our room, it was only possible to access it in the lobby/lounge area. If you visit, ask for the password at the main desk. They had an air conditioned computer room with two PC's with flat panel displays. These both had high speed internet access and were popular with the guests.

The hotel had a small fitness room with a couple of stationary bikes, an inclined treadmill, and other basic gym equipment. Unfortunately, the air conditioner in this room was not functioning, nor was the wall mounted water feature. It was pretty hot by 8AM, so it was necessary to get up early to use this facillity.

Next to the computer room was a game area with a book exchange, ping pong table, and a large carambole (french billiards) table. We played ping pong and plenty of carambole. They had a parrot next to the stairs that could say "hello" and "hola." The hotel had a sea kayak and a boogie board for the guests to use. The kids made use of both of them during our stay.

The hotel had a private beach area with palapas and lounge chairs. Waiters would visit occasionally, but never to the point of being a nuisance. Although the hotel had plenty of guests, the pool and common areas were always very quiet. It had a very exclusive feel. At night, the hotel common areas were lit and the atmosphere was very romantic.

Compared with the other nearby beaches, Playa Madera is the smallest and has the least number of peddlers. We found it to be relatively clean and safe enough to walk around at night. It was one of the most tranquil spots on the bay. Keep in mind, however, that it is a very small beach. Because it is in the bay, the surf is always pretty mild.

The boardwalk which connects Playa Madera to Playa Municipal and the downtown waterfront area. This made it very easy to walk into town for food, shopping, etc. Since we could walk to nearby shops within a few minutes, we never felt stranded or bored (as is the case with some of the isolated all-inclusive resorts). On Thursday, we saw hundreds of school children cleaning the boardwalk and the beach.

As other reviewers have noted, this hotel is on a hill. It does have about five flights of stairs. There is no elevator, so I would not recommend this hotel for travellers who have mobility issues. We welcomed the exercise, especially after a nice meal.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank linkysys

Reviewed January 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed at a hotel nearby but kept coming to Brisas for the great view and to order drinks from the bartender Federico. If you want incredible views, lovely people and great advice from a local this is the place for you!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We have just returned from our trip to Zihuatanejo and this hotel was great! We were there for 9 days and it was a pleasure to stay in that beautiful hotel. Great building plenty of plants and flowers everywhere, direct acces to the beach, very nice typical mexican decor, great service (specially Martin at the breakfast Restaurant, and Diana and Melissa at Reception). I wouldn´t doubt to stay here again!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2011

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Zihua, where we met my parents and stayed for a week at Brisas del Mar. This hotel is a jewel - great location, extremely nice and accommodating staff, great "Mexican" decor (Mexican tile, lots of wood, very lush plants, flowers everywhere - not just faceless "nice" decor like a hotel chain would have), very clean, large rooms, flower petal drawings on the beds every day, turn down service and suenos dulces sweets on the pillows, a slide at the pool, plenty of cushioned chaise lounges for the number of guests, multiple small bars with plenty of sitting areas, and a nice little exercise room and massage area.

Every room has an ocean front view, hammock, and large balconies - the room we were in also had a jacuzzi on the balcony. The views from the balcony were incredible.

It's a little hard to describe what makes this hotel so special but my parents felt the same way about it and we've already made plans to come back next year for Christmas, we liked it that much. The hotel was completely full and yet, due to the multiple levels, it never felt full or busy. There were lots of open chaise lounge chairs by the pool and down on the beach every day.

The restaurant on the beach is a bit more pricey than smaller restaurants (not a lot, but a little) but the drinks were comparably priced and the quality of the food and, especially the service, were excellent.

For anyone who hasn't been to Zihuatanejo, I'd highly recommend it and I'd recommend staying at Brisas del Mar. The Picante snorkeling trip, the Mexican Fiesta in Ixtapa, and some days spent laying in a lounge chair either at the Madera beach (under one of the palapas at Brisas) or over at La Ropa make for a fantastic vacation that you'll be sorry to have end. I wouldn't recommend going over to Playa Las Gatas, though. The snorkeling is good but the fish are aggressive and draw blood when they bite (happened to both my dad and my husband and almost to me before I decided to leave the fish in peace and went back to my lounge chair). The beach at Las Gatas has rocks and isn't nearly as nice as at Madera and La Ropa (no rocks at all and sand like powder) and the drinks/food are more expensive.

For restaurants, the one at the hotel is great, as is Rufo's at the bottom of the hill (not far) Casa Vieja and Rossy's (La Ropa beach). I wouldn't recommend either of the restaurants next door on either side to Brisas - not that good compared with other ones and the same price or more.

The only downside to this hotel I can think of is that if one had a difficult time maneuving stairs, it wouldn't be a good place to stay as it's multi-level. Other than that, I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank anicca
Reviewed December 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Brisas Del Mar for 12 days over the Thanksgiving holiday. My wife and I are 30 years old. We like both quiet nights and nights out with other people. This was the place for us!
We arrived at the hotel at about 11am, two hours before checkin time. The taxi pulled up and we were not that impressed with the roadside exterior of the hotel, but upon stepping into the front doors our first impressions completely reversed. We felt like we were stepping through the gates of heaven.
The front desk staff, along with all of the other hotel staff were beyond friendly and accomodating. The room that I had requested was not available and I thought that was going to be a problem, until the offered us two rooms to choose between. The first room they offered us was on the top floor of the hotel and had beautiful bay views, but it had two double beds (we were on our honeymoon). The second room they showed us was on the lowest level of the hotel with bay views (not nearly the same as the top room, but still spectacular), two outdoor jacuzzi's, outdoor kitchen, and two sitting areas. Obviously we chose this room, the "Zihuatalan" suite. I couldn't believe we were getting this room so I had to walk back up to the front desk just to make sure they weren't charging us more for this. I later realized that this is a two room suite, for familes, but it seemed the second room was undergoing some repairs or they just didn't have anyone booked in it. Either way, we were very happy with the room.
As many have stated before there are alot of steps at this hotel, but they are by no means problematic unless you are very out of shape. We stayed on the lower level, so it was nice to be only seconds from the pool, beach, and hotel restaurant. If we wanted to get to the front desk, sunset bar, or street we had to walk up the steps and that took probalby about two minutes. It is so beautiful to walk around the hotel, it is very lush and there are statues and waterfeatures everywhere. It seemed as though everyday we would see something new.
Our room was perfect. We had a king sized bed, pullout couch, tv with remote, remote controlled AC, dresser, closet, free safe, double sink, lounge chairs. There was not a clock in the room but minutes after mentioning this to the front desk and joking about needing to know the time on vacation, they delivered one. There were no screens on the doors, and at first this bothered me as I like to listen to the waves while I sleep, but after experiencing the heat of Z, I wanted that door closed and the AC on! After all we could still hear and see the waves from our bed so all was good. Every day the houskeeper would be seen picking flowers from around the hotel and later in the day she would use the flowers to make different designs on the bed. The maid would also drop off one liter of water every day. We were very happy with our room!
The pool was just a short walk from our room. there was a slide that was fun for both children and adults alike. Around the pool there were plenty of very comfortable padded lounge chairs, both singles and doubles(or extra wides). There were tables and chairs and little tables to put between loungers. slightly closer to the bay and one step up from the pool is another lounging areat which faces the bay, unlike the pool loungers. In this "terrace" area there were also two hammocks. We usually chose this area as it was a little quieter then poolside with the kids playing and you had a better view of the activity in the bay/beach. There are no outside containers allowed at the pool, although we brought our water from the room. There is waiter service from the restaurant constanly making sure everyone is ok in the pool area, you are never forgotten about. Their are two bathrooms next to the pool, so that you do not have to go back up to your room if you need to go. The pool temperature was very refreshing and kept clean, but be carefully the steps are very slippery!
About ten steps down from the pool is the restaurant and beach area. The beach area contains about 25 loungers under palapas in an area secluded from the public (nobody can sell stuff to you). The lounge chairs are covered and quite comfortable. Again there are tables between every two, and if not the waiter will find one for you if you need. The hotel area seemed a little small to me, but that is probably all of the property that they own and this never created a problem as the hotel wasn't very busy. I could see this area getting packed during a busy time. The sand is very hot, so you either need to where sandals or be sure to stand in the shady spots. The waiters also serve this area.
The restaurant is absolutely gorgeous. It is a fancy restaurant right on the beach, one of a kind in the area. We experienced all three meals of the day at the restaurant. Breakfast and lunch you do not need to be cleaned up all that much, bathing suits for men and sun dresses for woman are definetely acceptable. At dinner I would always wear nice shorts and a collared shirt. The prices of this restaurant are very high for the area, but you are getting very good food. The drinks are just a rip off because you are getting the same drinks everywhere you go. One Pacifico costs 40 pesos, the restaurant 50 yards down the beach has that same Pacifico, much colder, for 18 pesos. Besides for these prices, the food is very good and creative. The staff is very accomodating, they will serve you lunch food for dinner or fries with breakfast, whatever you might like, they will make you happy. The restaurant seemed very over staffed, but again it was slow. This became annoying sometimes at dinner because they were hawking our table nonstop and never gave us a minute to relax between courses. You can eat lunch by the pool or on the beach if you wish, they will take your order from you lounge chair. The restaurant also offers room service, which I was told was free but this is not true, at the bottom of the bill there is a "service fee" 33 pesos for breakfast and 45 pesos for dinner.
The Sunset Bar is okay. A nice place to have a quiet drink and get to meet Federico, a very nice older bartender. The drinks here are also pricey, but it is a nice place to go for one before or after dinner.
La Madera beach is very nice. There are two other restaurants on the beach, both about a one minute walk from BDM. Both of these restuarants are priced right and give you a great mexican lunch with lots of food. There is plenty of room on the beach for any beach game, sand castles, and walking. The waves are calm, but certainely not flat. The water and sand were both very clean. There is a beautiful lit walkway connecting La Madera Beach and the center of town, we took this walkway a few times to and from the center at night and always felt safe.
Outside the hotel on the street side there is a great little store "tienda" ran by Amanda who is very sweet. This store will have pretty much anything you might need on your stay. Beer, wine, water, soda, snacks, fruits, ice cream treats, smokes, drugs, sunscreen, ect. There is also a little store that sells some beach toys and souveniers. (the hotel has buckets and shovels and a double kayak free of charge).
Walk down the steep hill outside of the hotel and make a left to find many small but great restaurants and access to the center (Salvadors was one of our favorites for both breakfast and lunch).
Overall we loved our stay at this hotel and Zihuatanejo in general. If you have any questions feel free to contact me and I will be of assistance!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pulleyman
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We stayed in the family suite (#10) with our two young kids. The room was quite large with a king size bed and two couches which were converted into individual beds for the kids. The room had everything we needed - coffee maker, small fridge, hair dryer, iron, two lounges on the deck, a couple of deck chairs and a table. The AC was really powerful and cooled the room instantly. What can I say about the hotel that has not been said before? It's gorgeous. There are greenery and flowers everywhere. The staff is very helpful. If we needed anything - it was immediately addressed. Everyone at the front desk spoke excellent English. The pool area was never crowded. The lounges were very comfortable and the beach towels very soft. Most days we played on the pool slide and had lunch from the Bistro below. The burgers and club sandwiches were very good. The pastas were excellent too. The prices at the Bistro were a bit more than you would pay in town, but the quality of the food and the convenience of having it delivered to the pool area outweighed that for us. The hotel has Wi-Fi, but it does not always work in all the rooms. There are two computers you can use along with a pool table, ping pong table, a nice selection of books and a small exercise room. The location of the hotel can't be beat. You can walk to town either along the beach promenade or along the street. Either rout takes about 10 min. Don't feel like walking? Taxis are only 25 pesos (about $2) each way anywhere in town and back. We felt safe walking to and from town along the street in the evenings.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Went to Zihua to get married and stayed at Brisas del Mar. Lorena was my wedding coordinator and she was very helpful with the planning. I picked the flowers and told her my color scheme and the kind of cake i wanted and just trusted that all will be beautiful and it was. My family stayed at the Villa Don Agustin and Noyoltzi Suite and the rest of the family stayed in rooms at all different price points. All the rooms had beautiful ocean views, hammocks, beautiful tile work and rustic furniture. Villa Don Agustin had 5 bedrooms and had a private pool and jacuzzi and we partied like rockstars! Guadalupe from housekeeping was nice enough to cook for us one night and she is an excellent cook! Bistro del Mar took care of the food during the reception and it was pretty and delicious. The location is amazing and we got married at sunset in front of 45 of our closest family and friends. Words can't express how happy i am that we had our wedding here. To experience 4 days of snorkeling, fishing, sunbathing, and just being able to hang out with your loved ones at this stunning location is priceless. We had the dream wedding we didn't think was possible. Muchas Gracias!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple