“Like coming home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aura del Mar Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Aura del Mar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
San Antonio, Texas
“Like coming home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a charming, welcoming boutique hotel that makes you feel like family. The entire staff was exceptional - they could give lessons on outstanding customer service! The views of the bay are great and the atmosphere is very romantic. Our room was very comfortable and our balcony was wonderful - from the hammock to the tub. Its not all that impressive from the street, but don't let that fool you. Once inside you've got to like it. The rooms cascade down the slope of the hill looking over the bay. The pool and restaurant are down several steps close to the beach. The beach area is very nice. My wife had problems with the steps so she could not walk down to these areas but was able to sit up in the lounge/cocktail area and enjoy the view. For those who find the steps difficult, an option is to have someone drive you down to the lower level. One can walk into town and the marina but it is a pretty good hike. Taking a taxi is no problem. From the bed art to the great margueritas, you will feel special and may not want to leave!

Room Tip: Just e-mail the hotel in advance and let them know what you are looking for. They will knock themse...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Coupeville, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

For those of you who like pampered simplicity: Aura del Mar is a comfortable boutique hotel with the right amenities for travelers who like to explore on their own and return to the comforts of home+. The staff is friendly and super-accommodating. We admired the floral murals arranged on our beds each morning and the good advice for food and adventure nearby offered at the front desk. Similarly, the wait staff in the dining room knew our names after our first visit and was willing to adjust the menu in any way that suited us. The large rooms are immaculate and well-furnished with regional carved chests and tables and very comfortable sofas and beds, top notch linens and towels, local art. A renovated, older hotel, the tiled bathrooms are not state of the art but are beautiful and more than adequate. The dining room, open to the beach, is great for breakfast and good for lunch or dinner. There are many restaurants close to the hotel and in Zihua, a less than five minute walk. There is also a very nice pool and pool area. The one caveat for this hotel is that there is no elevator and the walk downstairs to dinner and the pool, depending on how high up one stays can be demanding for anyone whose walking is problematic. I am somewhat arthritic and found the stairs (well lit, good bannisters, beautiful plants in the atrium-like space) only a little challenging, and our beautiful suite at the top with its open living space and huge balconies well worth the climb. My daughters and I were so taken with this hotel, the beach, the location that we plan to come back every year.

Room Tip: We were four adults and found the large suite with the central space open to the outdoors and the ai...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

After staying one week at an all-inclusive resort in Ixtapa for a wedding, we came here and were so incredibly happy with the decision. It was exquisite and such a welcome relief. A complete 180 from the all-inclusive.

The scale of Aura del Mar was very intimate. And although they have quite a few rooms, it all feels very private. The architecture and decor has been thoughtfully considered. They got all the details right. Our rooms was fantastic. Large and overlooking the beach. We came with our one-year-old daughter and spent lots of time in the room with naps and early bed times. But we didn't mind spending time in our room or on our balcony. The whole resort felt like a little Oasis. It was nice to be on Madera beach too. It's a much smaller and more intimate beach area compared to La Ropa.

We ate quite a bit of food at the restaurant. It was pricy compared to eating at many of the local restaurants but it was so convenient and delicious that it was hard not to. Expertly prepared and presented. Tasty too.

We had a fantastic stay. A warm and relaxing 3-night stay. HIghly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank metric145
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Arriving at Aura Del Mara from LA via Mexico City it was great to be checked-in and settled in our room within minutes of arriving. The service throughout our stay was fantastic, beginning with being addressed by name the moment I walked into the lobby to check in. Okay we were the only ones checking in that afternoon so of course they were expecting us but it was still a nice thought. Nothing was a problem for them the entire week of our stay. The hotel, restaurant and bars are well-staffed and always there for you without being intrusive.

We had the 2bdr Zihuatlan Suite, which was very comfortable, each bedroom was spacious, airy and with a private hot tub. A common area had the small but totally functional kitchen and outdoor sitting. A nice little shop across the street sells all the goodies needed to fill the fridge and stock with snacks. There are great markets in town if you are staying awhile and wish to cook for yourself, we chose the indulgence of the many great restaurants. Air-con and ceiling fans in each room and ceiling fans in the outdoor areas. This suite is on a lower level but still with gorgeous bay views. However the views definitely improve with elevation up the hill. Like many Zihua hotels Aura Del Mar is on the side of a steep hill (thus the views!) and steps are involved in negotiating the grounds. We found them no problem, nor the one hill to ascend when walking back from town, but we usually took the waterfront path into town and avoided the hill (but did require steps back up to the hotel).

Playa la Madera fronts the hotel and the hotel maintains a small private palapa-covered zone as well. The beach is small and far less crowded than Playa la Ropa around the corner. Being in a bay the waves are small and swimming is easy in the very warm waters.

The Bistro Del Mar restaurant at beach level served up some of the best seafood meals we had anywhere in Zihua. The setting and service were first rate and a decent wine list complimented the meals. Most nights Martin looked after us and he was outstanding. We also spent several evenings in the hotel bars before going out elsewhere for dinner and especially enjoyed the beach side bar although the upper deck near the hotel lobby had fantastic views over the bay. Breakfast was included in our deal and although a sparse set menu selection it was good quality and plenty to start the day. A full menu selection is also available.

The grounds are well covered in beautiful tropical vegetation which, together with staying towards the end of the wet season, meant mosquitos. Definitely bring a good repellent (they have spray available for use if you ask, and was offered to us several evenings without asking). Mosquito nets for the beds might be a good idea but I kind of understand them not providing them as in general I don’t like the confined feeling when using them. The mosquitos are the only negative of our stay but are not a problem exclusive to or due to the hotel and realistically should be expected (still a nuisance).

The hotel and restaurant are somewhat expensive for Playa la Madera but to a large degree you get what you pay for and we found everything well worth the price. A completely enjoyable stay and I would love to return to Aura Del Mar.

Room Tip: Higher rooms for best views but really all are great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RockDr23
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Aura del Mar was AMAZING in every way, absolute paradise, and we will definitely stay there again when/if we visit Zihua again. It is immaculate and gorgeous, every room has a fantastic view of the bay, the pool is big and lovely and has a great water slide... We were upgraded to a room with a tiled hot tub on our patio, which is absolutely worth paying a few extra bucks for. Every day we returned to our room to find fresh flower petals arranged on the bed. Heaven! The staff is also incredibly friendly and helpful—shout out especially to Carlos (who will set you up with a great snorkeling tour guide) and Francisco, who were wonderful. Oh, and they have 2 computers with wifi if you need to be connected (though the connection can be slow/spotty) and a talking parrot. A TALKING PARROT.

The only reason not to stay here is if you can't handle stairs and/or a steep hill. It's perfectly located (about a 5-10 minute walk downtown and about a 10 minute walk to Playa la Ropa), but you do need to deal with the hotel stairs to reach Playa la Madera and a quite steep hill whether approaching from La Ropa or downtown. But you get incredible views because the hotel is set up on that hill.

Seriously, I cannot praise this hotel enough. Paradise on earth! We loved every minute of our stay there and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Worth paying a few extra dollars for room with a hot tub!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mightypow
Hillsboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful setting and staffed with friendly helpful people. Me and my 2 teenage kids stayed here at the end of July for 7 days. We relaxed, played in the pool, walked into downtown each day and enjoyed our time at the hotel a lot. We stayed in the family suite (#1 - Acupulco) where my kids slept on the couches that converts to 2 twin beds. The king size bed was comfortable, (but directly under the A/C). The room had a jacuzzi tub, hammock and 2 deck chairs. The view is amazing!

There are a couple things to note:
There are a lot of stairs and a big hill to navigate no matter which way you venture out. The market across from the hotel is handy for drinks and snacks for your room. There are no ceiling fans so if you need to cool down it is only A/C. There are no nets/screen for the patio so watch out having your door open to hear the beautiful ocean - there are a lot of mosquitos. The hotel wants you to pay cash for excursions - bring a lot of pesos, everyone wants cash even if they say they take credit cards. They service your room 2 times per day and there is no sign to tell them you want privacy (this got annoying after a while). They provide a large water bottle for in- room water each day, but buy more at the market if you need it. The mini-bar is not stocked, it is just a tall min-fridge. The TV has about 3 channels in English, but who needs TV on vacation?

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view and face out to the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank msalice72
Roswell, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Okay, I think I need to start this review with the fact that our stay happened last year. Now that I am writing about my experiences, I felt this was one place that deserved the high ratings and I would love to see it in the top 5. Vamonos!

In agreement with what most of the current reviews say, the Aura del Mar is a great value and in my opinion, a first rate experience in lodging. In order for you to know where I am coming from, I must say a couple of things. First off, my traveling experience ranges from backpacking and hostel-jumping overseas to new job training and staying in business type hotels. I am not a fan of business traveling and the "perks" of paying more for a hotel. I'm more of a free spirit who likes to save some money and spend what I save at restaurants, attractions and shopping. I believe in finding a comfortable bed, strong flowing shower, clean linen, quiet room and good A/C. I am not a fan of spending more than a $100 for hotels which do not offer a free breakfast. I am in my early thirties, married and we have a little girl.

Now to the review, this is a hotel with that perfect balance of service and lodging. Each and every person we encountered, from the front desk clerk to the early morning security staff, had a great attitude, was knowledgeable, patient and helpful. When we asked about a crib for our baby, there was one in the room by the time we opened the doors. When we wanted to walk the beach at sunrise, the security guard who opened a gate for us to access the beach offered us a little flashlight and advised us from going to far from the area. We had a little leak with the sink and it was addressed within the hour. No complaints whatsoever!

While checking in, they mentioned the availability of a room with a jacuzzi, however, it was June, it was humid and I did not see ourselves sitting in a Jacuzzi anytime soon. So they offered us a room with a better view and it was a little less expensive. The room was large, clean and comfortable, had a great balcony with two lounge chairs, a hammock, a gorgeous view, spacious bathroom and A/C that saved us from the heat. The bed and linen was the icing on top of this triple layered double chocolate with mousse filling cake. Buenisimo!

The breakfast was very good. Yes, it was a pretty small menu and wasn't what you might see at a five star restaraunt, but it was delicious, light and a great way to start the day. The wait staff was exceptional and the view magnificent. There are few luxuries in life that are as nice as falling asleep to the sound of waves and having your first meal of the day oceanside.

The beach had a small area sectioned off for their clients and this came in handy when the crowds were large. The beach is nice, has few rocks and the waves are not too rough. I'm not much of a beach person so I do not have much to compare this experience. All I know is that my wife and I both had a great time and seemed to lack nothing. The location is pretty good with additional restaurants and eateries within a 10-15 minute walk.

This leads me to talk about Zihua and the surrounding area. There are restaurants on the beach and the staff does their best to persuade you to join them (which I found quite amusing/annoying as I am not accustomed to this). Walking on the beach was safe (although the sunrise walk was a little sketchy) and we found it easier to get to town via the beach route rather than the streets. Approaching the hotel from the street side was quite the hike and doing this in the afternoon took it's toll. The town was nice and had plenty of shops for our tourist needs. We did eat at a couple of restaurants and had a good experience each time. Also, for those on a budget, there is a big grocery store (don't try to walk there) and we bought snacks, drinks and food to make some darn good sandwiches. Oh yeah!

Finally, my thoughts on the overall experience...you have to see the pool. Before Zihua, I had not stayed at a beachside resort or hotel, so I didn't understand why I would see people in a pool when the beach is right there. I grew up in NM and seeing so much water was strange, but seeing someone not enjoy a beach was even stranger. Now I know why and I encourage it. The pool at this hotel was AWESOME. SUPER PADRE! It was clean, clear, had the coolest slide and the hammocks were relaxing. One thing that our family really enjoyed was the small sitting area at the top of the slide. It was the perfect wading pool. My little girl also enjoyed the "pretty birdie." Adults would appreciate the opportunity to have a drink and lounge back in the patio at the top most level. I cannot say enough good things about this place.

I really encourage you to make a reservation. This place is magical. The hotel is big and multi-leveled so people need to be prepared to walk. I must let you know that spending a morning at the beach, walking to the little town to eat and then coming back can be quite the hike, but it was definitely worth it. Yes, there's lots of stairs. Yes, it's humid in July. Life is what you make of it, and...to spend our time in a luxurious hotel on the beach and complain about stairs or filtered water to brush my teeth...eh, it's pretty petty. You will not find a place like this in the states and if you do, please let me know.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family